View Full Version : What's better - Battery Pack, Spb Pocket Plus or PpcToday Tools ?

Chris99
05-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any experience using Battery Pack, Spb Pocket Plus or PpcToday Tools ?

I've tried an early version of Battery Pack, but wasn't too impressed back then. Since I tried it, several new versions has been released, and Spb Pocket Plus has also received some positive review. In addition, I just discovered PpcToday Tools, which seems to offer some of the same functionality as the other two....

I've included an image and a snippet from their own comments:
Link: PpcToday Tools (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=9837DB96D6D679E792C54A712BD62DAB&productId=68923&productType=2&navTitle=Today&catalog=1&topOption=6&daysOld=1&sectionId=0&platformId=2)

http://www.handango.com/include/pictures/273190/ppctodayani.gif

PpcToday Tools is a collection of small utilities for your Today screen. You get a Task Switcher to quickly and easily switch or close programs. A Clock is available with both analog and digital display. Both Battery and Memory Tools are included to give you full control of available resources.

For fun, a small "Joke of the day" program is included. In addition, a Screen Saver program featuring a PpcMatrix Screen saver is included. And finally, a Notepad is also available from the today screen, enabling you to quickly jot down important notes without worrying about which keyboard to use.

Any comments on these ? What do you recommend ?

Chris[/img]

Bob Anderson
05-05-2003, 08:35 PM
I have been very impressed with the Battery Pack program. I started out at v4.0, upgraded to 4.2 and have found it indispensable. I love the "Program Bar" application that comes with it... enabling me to not only keep an eye on my memory and power usage, but launching my key programs.

On my iPaq 5455 the only issue I had with it was it's ability to put a red "X" "close" button in the upper right hand corner. I'm not sure if it was me (operator error), the device, or the software... but it made things less stable than I desired so I turned off that feature and have been enjoying the application ever since!

Good luck in picking the one you want to use, it's a hard decision to make, I know.

Johan
05-05-2003, 09:27 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any experience using Battery Pack, Spb Pocket Plus or PpcToday Tools ?

Any comments on these ? What do you recommend ?

Chris[/img]

I have both Battery Pack and Pocket Plus, I first got Battery Pack but found it a bit sluggish. Then I got Pocket Plus mainly to get the x-button that realy closes an application instead of minimizing, also the multiple IE window is nice. Pocket Plus is has less features but feels snappier.

I recently installed Battery Pack 5 and I really like it o far, has a lot of new features and options, also has the x-that really closes an application (and some extras). I still keep Pocket Plus but only use the Pocket IE extra features.

Since I have iPAQ 5450 I recently got Go Landscape 2.0 just to be able to map the volume rocker to scroll up and down instead of the worthless d-pad on 5450.

Best of luck!

doogald
05-05-2003, 09:43 PM
I keep trying Battery Pack but I still go back to PocketPlus. I agree that Battery Pack is very sluggish (still in the new version), the icons are huge, so they take up a lot of Today screen real estate. The Program Bar is more powerful than PocketPlus's launcher but, again, it is very sluggish.

To each his own, I guess. You can try them both for a short time and then decide which you prefer to license.

Unreal32
05-05-2003, 10:27 PM
I use Battery Pack and Magic Button, and I find that together they both do everything I want. I stayed with Battery Pack 4.3, though... didn't necessarily want or need the newer features of the software beyond that.

Chris99
05-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Thanks for your replies; I've actually downloaded all 3, and prelimenary testing suggest that PpcToday Tools is my favorite (I admit that the cool Matrix screensaver may be part of the reason ... :wink: )

However, I haven't tried Magic Button - what is this, and where can I find it ?

Thanks

Janak Parekh
05-06-2003, 01:55 AM
I, myself, am still a fan of Pocket Plus -- it's the least intrusive of all the task managers I've found. But to each their own. :)

--janak

rberry88
05-07-2003, 04:57 PM
I used to use Battery Pack but after the new version it felt like they tried to cram alot of un-necessary extras into it which didn't really help the sluggishness that was there. I still use Program Bar just because it lets me have one row of icons with a scroll feature so it only takes up one line on the Today screen but quick access to five rows of icons. I bought Pocket MON last week (only $10 upgrade for 5455/5450 users) and love the ease and speed of the backup (both internally and to the PC) and the cpu load monitor on the Today screen. I also bought the PPCToday Tools program simply because it looked cool and I love the joke of the day feature along with the screensaver addition.

rberry88 0X

Ainvar
05-07-2003, 06:24 PM
I use the iPAQ Panel for my iPAQs ofcourse and then plain Pocket Panel on my Toshiba e550G and for quicklaunch I use Rhinolaunch to do a few quicklaunch icons on the today screen. I find these to do everything I like and to also take up very very little resources. Plus they are pretty darn cheap too.

sorry if you arel ooking for a website for the programs above www.rhinocode.com

TheNewSteve
05-07-2003, 08:49 PM
I use Battery Pack and Magic Button, and I find that together they both do everything I want. I stayed with Battery Pack 4.3, though... didn't necessarily want or need the newer features of the software beyond that.

That's exactly what I have going.

-Steve