View Full Version : Really Weird ActiveSync Problem

piperpilot
05-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Over the weekend, I had to reinstall ActiveSync on my PC at home. I properly deleted the existing installation and tried to load the reinstall from the CD that accompanied my 5455. However, I can't get it to reinstall. I have tried (a) running it from the CD, (b) saving it from the CD to my hard drive and then running it, and (c) downloading and running it from Microsoft, all with the same effect--Nothing! Here's the really weird part: when I attempt to close down the computer, I get a prompt to end an application that is related to ActiveSync (not ActiveSync itself), so apparently, it is trying to execute but isn't getting there. Any ideas? I was running ActiveSync on this computer before with no problems. I have a Pentium II running Windows XP on the main hard drive and NT 4 on another drive. Very perplexing. :?

Pony99CA
05-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Over the weekend, I had to reinstall ActiveSync on my PC at home. I properly deleted the existing installation and tried to load the reinstall from the CD that accompanied my 5455. However, I can't get it to reinstall. I have tried (a) running it from the CD, (b) saving it from the CD to my hard drive and then running it, and (c) downloading and running it from Microsoft, all with the same effect--Nothing! Here's the really weird part: when I attempt to close down the computer, I get a prompt to end an application that is related to ActiveSync (not ActiveSync itself), so apparently, it is trying to execute but isn't getting there. Any ideas? I was running ActiveSync on this computer before with no problems. I have a Pentium II running Windows XP on the main hard drive and NT 4 on another drive. Very perplexing. :?
What was the program that wouldn't close? Was it wcescomm.exe or WCESMgr.exe? WCESMgr often seems to hang on my system. If those were running when you tried to uninstall ActiveSync, you might not have uninstalled it completely, and they could also cause the reinstall to fail.

To reinstall ActiveSync, first kill wcescomm.exe and WCESMgr.exe. Once those have stopped, uninstall ActiveSync, then reinstall it and reboot. If that doesn't work, give us more details.

By the way, why did you have to reinstall ActiveSync in the first place?

Steve

piperpilot
05-05-2003, 05:59 PM
What was the program that wouldn't close? Was it wcescomm.exe or WCESMgr.exe?

No, it was something else that had activesync in the name. I'll find out exactly what it is when I get home tonight.

As for why I had to reinstall it, it's a long story. I have to go to a meeting right now about our company's new web site, but I'll recount my sad tale of woe when I get back.

piperpilot
05-05-2003, 07:45 PM
OK, here's what happened. Last Monday, I installed the latest ROM update for my 5455. 1st Mistake: I used the iPAQ backup program to reconstitute my system following the ROM update. I forgot not to restore my registry settings as the ROM update readme instructed, so when I restored the registry settings, a lot of things got messed up. So, on Tuesday, I did a hard reset at work and loaded all my third party applications and adjusted all my settings manually. When I did this, I had to establish a new partnership with ActiveSync on my work computer. Skip to Friday. Go to use the WLAN. It won't initialize. It is stuck in a loop and won't initialize. Had to call HP whose solution was . . . another hard reset. Fortunately, after doing the first hard reset earlier in the week, I backed up the system and thus was able to restore it from the backup. Skip to Sunday. I posited that the new partnership that I had established for ActiveSync at work earlier in the week would not jibe with the old ActiveSync partnership that I had at home. My solution, instead of tinkering with it (because ActiveSync is such a pain to begin with :bad-words: ), was to take it off the computer, reinstall it and then create a new partnership that was consistent with the new partnership that I had established at work earlier in the week. So, I removed the program and the existing partnerships, and tried to reinstall it from the CD and from the web, and the rest is history. Now I am unable to sync at all!!!! I am so frustrated!!!! I HATE ACTIVESYNC!!!! :evil:

docnilay
05-05-2003, 10:24 PM
I HATE ACTIVESYNC!!!! :evil:

Here! here! I just had to acknowledge your frustration and hatred. For one thing, its SO FREAKIN stupid that I can't, after a hard reset, pick the same original user name for my pocket pc, but have to come up with a new one! And the rants can go on, and on, and on... for this one reason, PALM had it right, even though I'm now a diehard Pocket PCer, HotSync still kicks ass over ActiveSync ANY DAY!!

- Nilay

piperpilot
05-05-2003, 11:37 PM
[quote="docnilay its SO FREAKIN stupid that I can't, after a hard reset, pick the same original user name for my pocket pc, but have to come up with a new one![/quote]

That is precisely the reason why I took it off my PC to begin with! I can't stand changing the profile name every time I have a hard reset or do a ROM update, so I just remove ActiveSync from the computer and reinstall it; that way, I can use my standard profile name. Works great on the computer at work, but I am at a total loss as to why the !@#$%^&* program won't run on my home computer!

smittyofdhs
05-05-2003, 11:43 PM
[quote="docnilay its SO FREAKIN stupid that I can't, after a hard reset, pick the same original user name for my pocket pc, but have to come up with a new one!

That is precisely the reason why I took it off my PC to begin with! I can't stand changing the profile name every time I have a hard reset or do a ROM update, so I just remove ActiveSync from the computer and reinstall it; that way, I can use my standard profile name. Works great on the computer at work, but I am at a total loss as to why the !@#$%^&* program won't run on my home computer![/quote]

to avoid having to change your partnership name each hard reset, go into the registry on the PC and remove the partnership info at HKCU/software/microsoft/windows ce services/partners before trying to establish a new partnership. Even if you uininstall activesync, these keys remain there and a reinstall of activesync will result in the same issue.

Janak Parekh
05-06-2003, 02:00 AM
I personally have found that doing File, Delete Partnership from ActiveSync, and then going into C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles and deleting the appropriate directory from there completes the trick. No registry edits for me so far. :)

Yes, ActiveSync is no fun with two machines, but keep on trying -- you'll soon learn how to beat it with a stick. Now that my schedule has lightened, I really need to post an article with tips on how to keep it clean...

Last -- piperpilot -- can't you just use the ActiveSync 3.6 download as opposed to installing from CD?

--janak

piperpilot
05-06-2003, 12:27 PM
can't you just use the ActiveSync 3.6 download as opposed to installing from CD?

I tried that; same result. :cry:

jsanfordii
05-06-2003, 09:57 PM
I had a similiar problem...

I installed Norton System Works,Activestink seemed to work... I left for vacation, came home, and no matter WHAT i idid I couldn't get the POS software to recognize my iPaq.

Finally, after reading this thread I decided to give up.

I uninstalled EVERYTHING, did a hard reset, and started over using 3.7. I also plugged in via the com port instead of usb.

It seems like everything is all set now. I hate ActiveStink more than anything else.

james

jook00
04-30-2004, 06:05 AM
yes... that is weird

Pony99CA
05-01-2004, 08:58 AM
yes... that is weird
And...? I'm sure you didn't post to a thread that hadn't been posted to in almost a year just to say that.

To make this revival worthwhile, check out the ActiveSync New Year's Resolutions (http://thoughts.svpocketpc.com#THOUGHT_ACTIVESYNC_RESOLUTIONS). :-D

Steve