View Full Version : Notes substitute

Stephen Beesley
04-30-2003, 04:36 PM
Now here is a question particularly directed at any ex-Newton users out there.

One of the things I really miss from my Newton is the notes application. For those of you who have never used a Newton, the notes application worked much more like a physical notepad - you could scroll through all of your notes one after the other like unrolling a long roll of paper. Not only that there were different types of notes (like ones with graph paper lines or in the form of a memo) and soo soo much more.

Compared to this I find the standard PPC notes program to be sadly lacking, I what I am after is something that pretty much completly replaces the notes program but is not too fussy in its interface.

Any ideas?

I would be happy to post some Newton screen shots if that would help to understand what I am after.

Goldtee

Unreal32
04-30-2003, 07:27 PM
I like BugMe, from www.electricpocket.com (it's not perfect, but it lets me scribble notes, set reminder alarms, and more). Plus their tech support can't be beat. One warning: Setting it to install to an SD card or CF card doesn't seem to work. But it's a small program, so this shouldn't be a hassle.

Lano
04-30-2003, 09:22 PM
You might want to take a look at RemindMe from Applian. It's similar to BugMe but less expensive. I'm very happy with the program.

rendeb2002
05-30-2003, 12:36 AM
I have been a user of RemindMe and have liked it to a point: There is a major bug in the software that causes the application to hang and for you to invariably loose the text associated to the active reminder. If a reminder has triggered showing you the associated note, you are supposed to either delete the note or advance the reminder so that it will alert you to the note at a later time. If, while you are attempting to advance the note and a second reminder fires, it displays a popup screen that is NOT modal and can be accidently hidden behind the time advance screen. When this occurs, forget it -- the application is for all purposes, hung. To remove it, you have to kill the application via the PPC OS. When you do this, the text associated to the first note is lost. This bug is SO obvious, I can't believe that Applian released the software. There is no bug fix or write up on their web site about this major flaw. So, if I were you, I would NOT consider this application until they come out with a fix to their 2.0 release. :evil:

Stephen Beesley
05-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Well I have now tried BugMe and, up to a point, I liked it. I liked the various different types of stationary - which DID remind me of Newton Notes. The big drawback for me, however, was that it only seems to work with handwritten notes I could not see any way to get it to work with transcriber.

Am I missing something?

Now I will have to have a look at RemindMe.

Goldtee

oe1kenobi
06-01-2003, 06:51 AM
You can also try the freeware Notes Explorer (http://www.meshavi.com/product_ne.htm) (the newest beta is on the author's forum (http://www.meshavi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22)). It does ink and text notes, with different backgrounds. But, no alarms.

-Richard L. Owens