View Full Version : Dashboard, is it worth it?

lurch
04-29-2003, 05:32 PM
I'm thinking about getting Dashboard (I know it's not expensive, I'm just, let's call it frugal). Is it worth it? Tell me about your experiences with it... good places to get skins, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Jacob
04-29-2003, 06:50 PM
I voted for "it screwed up my PPC" - but it didn't.

It just made it run much slower. I found it wasn't worth it.

Also, whenever I set a new skin it would mix up icons so the volume icon was the icBar menu (this happened with wisbar too).

Jason Dunn
04-29-2003, 07:10 PM
I used to be a HUGE dashboard fan (I think they're still using one of my skins in their install package), but found that it kept slowing down my device...I haven't tried it in a while, so it's possible that they fixed the speed issue. If they did, I think it's worth it!

lurch
04-29-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the responses! My stance right now: not worth it. But we'll see if somebody posts something to change my mind or not.. :)

'preciate it!

Lano
04-29-2003, 08:04 PM
I used Dashboard for awhile and also found that it slowed overall performance. I also didn't care for my screen to constantly be covered with text. I now use Quick Tasks and Quick Agenda from ScaryBear Software that have a "roll up" feature and have been very pleased.

sracer
04-29-2003, 08:15 PM
I used it for an intensive 2 week period, and while it is fun to create skins for it, I found it quite limited.

I have switched to Pocket Facelift. Even though it simply integrates with, and extends the existing PPC UI, I find that those modest enhancements are enough for me.

TheNewSteve
04-29-2003, 09:12 PM
I didn't like it.

PocketBlinds is cooler because you can still use all of your themes as backgrounds.

It also makes it a little slower, but not like Dashboard.

The best utility for switching is magic button, but PB looks cooler.

But they're easy to switch.

-Steve

blazingwolf
04-30-2003, 12:53 AM
I'm going to buck the trend and tell you to get it. I have been using it now for quite awhile and have not had any problems with it. No slow downs or anything like that. I have dashboard on my Ipaq 3955 and my wife uses it also. I took it off of her Axim for awhile and she got mad at me. 8O I had to reinstall it right then and there. :D I would highly recommend this program. I like the way it seperates the today screen into several catagories. This way I can see the 1 that is most important to me at that time and not have a lot of other junk on the screen. Also, with the My Dashboard section you can load any of your extra today screen items into it. I use this section to display Battery Pack 2003 and Microsoft Money ( a little security here, IMO, I can still see money with 1 tap but unless I'm on that page at that moment no one looking over my shoulder can see it). Again, get it.

Steven Cedrone
04-30-2003, 05:52 AM
When I used Dashboard, I loved it (I have since changed over to Pocket Facelift). My biggest gripe is that development on it has ground down to a halt. No updates have been issued for almost a year...

Steve

ironguy
04-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Due to some serious family health issues, Chris Scott, the developer has been unable to work on Dash. He has just replied in the PocketNow Snoopsoft forum that the last beta prior to release should be done by this Friday (May 2). For those of you that haven't used this beta (version 2), it's quite neat. Today plug-ins can be added to any page. There's also cleartype support. If you're a registerd owner you can download the betas HERE (http://www.snoopsoft.com/orders/orderlookup.asp).

Currently, he's waiting for some info from PI4 (Alex) to ensure full compatibility with PI4 (Pocket Informant).

Stephen Beesley
04-30-2003, 04:44 PM
I like the way it seperates the today creen into several catagories. This way I can see the 1 that is most important to me at that time and not have a lot of other junk on the screen. Also, with the My Dashboard section you can load any of your extra today screen items into it.

I used Dashboard pretty extensively on my Jornada 545 before switching to Pocket facelift to get the ppc 2002 feel. When I shifted to a 568 I also installed Dashboard for a while and did not really notice much in the way of slowdown. as with Blazingwolf I really liked being able to have the multiple today screens, particularly being able to see all of my tasks on one page by themselves. That said what finally turned me back to the bare PPC2002 today screen (with a few plug-ins of course) was the simple look of it - I found Dashboard to be a bit busy looking. If I could recreat the basic PPC look with dashboard but keep the multiple screens I think I would still use it.

Goldtee

mcasanova
04-30-2003, 05:16 PM
I've being using Dashboard from the start and found out that can not imagine my jornada without it. I like the launcher where I can have only the applications I use more often. I combined dashboard with Pocket Blinds and they both get along pretty well. No speed drop so far

SassKwatch
05-02-2003, 03:30 PM
I think it's a great app. Having an 'Agenda View' on screen as soon as I hit the power button is worth it for me.

Tack on the 'Mini-Launcher' that puts my most frequently used apps a single click away, and I'm more than pleased.

Frankly, I don't know if it slows the 5450 down. It might...but obviously not enough to get me to remove DB.

rberry88
05-05-2003, 07:08 PM
I used Dashboard for a while but for the last 60 days I've used Pocket Facelift with Juni's Microserfs theme and couldn't be happier.

rberry88