View Full Version : Wireless PocketPC with camera - can anyone solve this little riddle..?

smallbone10
04-26-2003, 03:53 PM
I'd very much like to find/build a Pocket PC device with the following features:

1. Colour LCD display
2. Wireless (802.11b) connectivity
3. Camera
4. Microphone
5. Speaker

I've come very close to finding a Pocket PC device that does all of these, but no cigar as yet!

The closest I've come is the Dell Axim X5, which has all of these things, except 802.11b and a camera. You can buy a Compact Flash 802.11b card and a company called Pretec makes a Compact Flash camera, but since this device only has one CF slot, you can't install both! The only other option would be to make use of the Smartmedia slot for the camera or 802.11b function, but I don't think that this is possible...

Anyone got any bright ideas about this? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks
smallbone10

Janak Parekh
04-26-2003, 05:14 PM
You could use the Toshiba e750, which has CF, SDIO, and 802.11b all built-in... or even the iPAQ 5450 with a SD camera, since it also has 802.11b also built in.

Neither option is terribly cheap, but it's certainly doable.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
04-26-2003, 05:24 PM
You can also do any iPAQ that can take a dual CF or PCMCIA sleeve. WiFi video teleconferencing for a PPC is quite doable using MS Portrait. ( http://www.research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/ ) Pretec isn't the only CF camera around either. There are probably half a dozen.

Janak Parekh
04-26-2003, 05:28 PM
You can also do any iPAQ that can take a dual CF or PCMCIA sleeve.
Geez, I forgot the most obvious choice. :lol:

--janak

Sven Johannsen
04-26-2003, 06:08 PM
You do have to watch the physical size and configuration of the cards, WiFi and Camera. I have heard that some just won't fit in there together.

smallbone10
04-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks for such a swift and comprehensive answer guys!

I had a look at the Toshiba e750 and the iPAQ 5450. It doesn't appear that the e750 has a speaker or a microphone, although it does have a jack for one or the other. Is there some way I could add them both as little boxes that hang off the device?

The 5450 does have a speaker, but there is only a jack for a microphone. There's no listed microphone accessory as far as I can tell. Does anyone know differently?

And could I ask who are the other manufacturers of CF and SD cameras of which you speak?

Thanks
smallbone10

Janak Parekh
04-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Virtually all Pocket PCs have a speaker and microphone -- in fact, I think it's a requirement. I can't tell you where the 750's microphone is, but I'd be very surprised if it's not there. The 5450's speaker is on top, and its microphone is on the bottom. The 5450 also has a Mic-In feature that's integrated with the headphone jack; I believe some headset manufacturers sell a ear/mic piece for the 5450.

As for the camera, try a :google: search. "CF Camera" (http://www.google.com/search?q=cf+camera) yields these results -- the Veo is one that pops out on the list.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
04-26-2003, 08:40 PM
And virtualy every PPC has a headphone jack (for stereo) and none have a mic jack (they are all built in) with the exception of the phone edition ones that are set up for a headset/mic.

A good place to go look at camera's is www.moblieplanet.com

Sometime back there was a post that linked to a site that pretty much had a shot of every CF and SD camera that was out there. I didn't bookmark it (darn it) and I can't find the post now. [coulda been here ot PPCPassion] Maybe someone recalls it.

Vincent M Ferrari
04-26-2003, 08:56 PM
And virtualy every PPC has a headphone jack (for stereo) and none have a mic jack (they are all built in) with the exception of the phone edition ones that are set up for a headset/mic.

I thought the Ipaq 5455 could take an external mic?

smallbone10
04-27-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the great information. I've done some research and the best options are as follows. All prices are from the manufactuer's website or mobileplanet.com:

Option 1:
iPAQ h3950 $499
iPAQ Compact Flash Expansion Pack $39.99 (does this mean I get two CF slots, one on the iPAQ and one on here?)
LifeView FlyCAM CompactFlash Digital Camera $89.95
LinkSys 802.11b CompactFlash Wireless LAN Card $79.95
or
NetGear 802.11b Wireless LAN Compact Flash Card $79.95
Total: $708.89

Option 2:
iPAQ h5450 $699
Total: $788.95

Option 3:
Toshiba e750 $579.99
Total: $669.94

Does this look right?

Thanks
smallbone10

Janak Parekh
04-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Does this look right?
No. The iPAQ has no built-in CF sleeve, so the HP expansion pack gives one. So, for the 5450, you'll need at least a single CF sleeve, or get an SDIO camera. For the 3955, you'll need a dual CF sleeve, or an SDIO camera. There are several dual-sleeve solutions, including the NexiPak (http://www.nexian.com/product/nexipak.asp) and the PITech MemPlug Dual CF (http://www.pitech.com/hardware/iCFCF/ipCFCF_index.htm). I believe the latter only supports memory in one of the two slots, though.

--janak

smallbone10
04-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Oh yes - I'd just assumed that the IPAQs had CF slots. I see now that they don't. Thanks for pointing this out... :oops:

The only Secure Digital cameras I've seen are for Palms - clearly you know something I don't? Could you mention one or two of the manufacturers?

Thinking about it, if SD cameras are available, couldn't I just use any PocketPC with one CF slot (for an 802.11b card) and one SD slot (for the camera)?

Thanks for your continued help,
smallbone10

Janak Parekh
04-28-2003, 02:53 PM
The only Secure Digital cameras I've seen are for Palms - clearly you know something I don't? Could you mention one or two of the manufacturers?
Yeah, this is the problem I had too. I'd imagine these manufacturers are releasing Pocket PC drivers sooner than later, but you'll have to check those closely. I think Pretec has announced their intention to do so...

Thinking about it, if SD cameras are available, couldn't I just use any PocketPC with one CF slot (for an 802.11b card) and one SD slot (for the camera)?
No - a number of Pocket PCs, including the Dell Axim, don't have SDIO, and only support the SD slot for memory.

--janak

smallbone10
04-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks again.

One final thing - is there any reason I couldn't use the Toshiba e740 rather than the more expensive e750? Is it going EOL or something?

Thanks
smallbone10