View Full Version : Symbol CF Network Driver Updated

aquanaut
04-26-2003, 06:18 AM
* Updates drivers for both PPC2k2 and W2k/XP/ME/98e2;
* Adds Wireless LAN Profile Management Tool (nice!)
* Finds WLANS (aka, built-in sniffer);
* Enhanced Security including Keyguard rotating key encryption;
* Support 802.1X EAP/TLS authentication with XP and PPC2k2;
* Auto updates CF card's firmware;
* Unified installer for both PPC2k2 and Notebook PC.

Download from here http://www.symbol.com/services/downloads/documentation_drivers.html
or direct download here http://www.symbol.com/services/pdf/cgi-bin/Mobile_Companion_version_3.7.0.94.exe

Cheers :D

Ramin
04-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Aquanaut, thanks very much indeed for the info! :)

:idea: Has anyone tested these new Symbol Windows XP & Pocket PC 2002 drivers on a Socket Low Power WLAN CF Card? :?: Socket Communications still hasn't released Windows 98(SE)/Me/2000/XP drivers for their Low Power WLAN CF card. :evil:

aquanaut
04-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Not sure if this is your meaning or not, but this single update gives you the choice to install either driver or both -- with my PocketLOOX connected via ActiveSync cable, I executed the update, was then queried if I wanted to also install the driver to my Win2k notebook. The installer then proceeded with the update and both of the new drivers/firmware worked like a charm.

Both the new PPC2k2 and PC interfaces are much cleaner/simpler than before among other useful improvements.

Cheers

tospappy
04-26-2003, 02:36 PM
How does this driver compare to the socket driver for their CF wifi card. I am using the socket driver and utility with my Symbol networker and it seems to be working fine.

aquanaut
04-26-2003, 03:33 PM
This update is for the Symbol Networker WiFi CF Card (aka LA-4121), replaces driver/firmware v3.24 with 3.70. Installs over v3.24 (Mar.2001).
Cheers

Sven Johannsen
04-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Seems like the questions and answers are getting intermixed here. Obviously the post announces new drivers for the SYMBOL CF WiFi card for PPC and desktop OSs. Socket makes a card that is almost identical. Socket just released new drivers for their card a little while ago, that many of us are using on our SYMBOL CF cards with great success. The features of the 'new' Symbol drivers are very similar to the features of the Socket drivers we are runnig on our Symbol CFs.

1) How do the new Symbol drivers on the Symbol card, compare to the Socket drivers we are currently running on our Symbol cards. (hard to answer unless you have been running the Socket drivers and change).

My biggest question would be compatibility with Pocket WiNc. Works with Socket drivers on my Symbol card, how about with Symbol drivers on my Symbol card? (didn't before, BTW) This one just needs someone with a Symbol card with new Symbol drivers to try WiNc.

2) Socket has never supplied Desktop OS drivers for their CF card. Since the cards seem to be very similar (you can use Socket drivers on your Symbol CF in a PPC), can you use the new Symbol Desktop OS drivers to run a socket CF card in a Desktop/Laptop.

I think that covers the questions.

dollardr
05-02-2003, 01:29 PM
The new Symbol Drivers work with PocketWinC when using a Symbol card.