View Full Version : Help with 5455 Bluetooth and Internet Access

socrguy74
04-25-2003, 02:00 PM
Newbie question: How do I set up Internet Access across bluetooth with my 5455? I have a Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter attached to my Windows XP Pro PC at work, and I have successfully created an ActiveSync connection. However, everytime I try to connect to the Internet via bluetooth, the 5455 tries to dial a non-existent phone number via the "Bluetooth null modem". It fails.

What am I doing wrong?

freitasm
04-25-2003, 03:02 PM
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449 is where we have this kind of information...

In summary, you'll not initiate a LAN connection over Bluetooth thru the normal connection screen. Instead you'll use a different setup.

The guides will show you what to configure in your laptop/desktop and in your Pocket PC.

The Belkin adapter uses the same software as the TDK. The screens will be the same, or very similar to yours.

Have fun and enjoy...

socrguy74
04-25-2003, 03:22 PM
I have done the directions, but instead of getting the settings for the Bluetooth PAN driver, I get a screen for "Network Log On", using resource: BT Network Access, asking me for a user name, password and domain.

Why don't I get the PAN driver screen?

freitasm
04-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Have you changed the default name to something else? You can't have _ or any other special characters in the Pocket PC name.

Also, make sure you're using proper authorization. Do you a Domain Controller in this network, or is it simply a XP Home Edition?

socrguy74
04-25-2003, 03:42 PM
I have renamed the device, and I don't have a domain controller to login to at Work. It's XP Pro. I have shared my main Internet Connection, but I am puzzled as to what to "login" to when it asks me.

freitasm
04-25-2003, 03:51 PM
And of course you tried entering your XP Pro username and password, leaving the domain blank?

Just to check. I can't imagine why it would ask for login.

socrguy74
04-25-2003, 04:59 PM
yup.

I'm stumped. I think I might be taking the Bluetooth back to the store.

Just thought it would be fun to use around the house, but I think I might pick up a Wireless (WLAN) Access Point instead.

Thanks for your efforts!

freitasm
04-28-2003, 04:22 AM
You can get the dial up connection behavior if the ICS is not setup correctly... Please recheck the configuration!