View Full Version : Looking for tournament round robin software

rhmorrison
04-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Has anyone seen or heard of any round robin tournament software for the PocketPC? I am just looking for a simple replacement to using a table for doing a full round robin (i.e. everyone plays against everyone else). Normally you just make a table on a piece of paper (form) with the players names along the left and top of the form. Then as each games result is known the result is placed to two locations in the table such that when you add up points going from left to right you end up with the total points for that player.

Doing this on a PocketPC would be nicer for two reasons:
1. You instantly get intermediate results (ranking) w/o having to manually add up the points.
2. Entering the results SHOULD be easiser.
Anyone have any links to appropriate software?

ironguy
04-17-2003, 03:32 PM
Have you considered a basic spreadsheet like SpreadCE or a simple database program like HanDBase?

SpreadCE would be nice because you could make the sheet on your PC and have it work on your PPC.

rhmorrison
04-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Have you considered a basic spreadsheet like SpreadCE or a simple database program like HanDBase?
:?: I'm afraid that I don't see how this meets either of my two desired improvements over using pencil and paper!

aroma
04-17-2003, 03:56 PM
:?: I'm afraid that I don't see how this meets either of my two desired improvements over using pencil and paper!

With a spreadsheet...
1) Using formulas, the points would automatically add, giving you immediate results

2) The points/results would be entered the same as with any application, you would select the appropriate cell, and enter the results.

Not knowing exactly what your looking for, I would think you would setup something like: (Players listed down side and across top)

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Tot |
Player1 | X | | | | |
Player2 | | X | | | |
Player3 | | | X | | |
Player4 | | | | X | |

And then simply use a formula to automatically add the points across into the "Tot" column...

- Aaron[/quote]

rhmorrison
04-17-2003, 04:20 PM
And then simply use a formula to automatically add the points across into the "Tot" column...
The only advantage of doing this (over using pencil and paper) would be that there wouldn't be any errors in adding up the points.

What I am thinking of is something like the following:
1. Program would allow selecting a Contacts category as the basis for the player list.
2. The tournament players would then simply be checked from the list.
3. We would then see a ranking table with 'Rount X of Y' displayed.
4. Results would be entered by selecting one player then a new list would be displayed with only the other players that the first player has not yet had a result entered (i.e. the first time all other players). Once the second player is selected the RESULT would be entered: Won, Tied, or Lost.
5. The ranking table would automatically be updated.
6. When complete (or for every round, or when requested) a HTML result table will be created that could then be put on the Internet or Printed.
Your proposed spreadsheet solution would not make entering the names of the participants any easier nor the entry of the results. Also, in my particular case the particpants are not known until the tournament starts, i.e. it is not possible to prepare the tournament beforehand using the PC.
:soapbox:

ironguy
04-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Have you looked at VisualCE? There's a write-up about here on the site. It basically allows you to create your own program.

One advantage with a spreadsheet is that you could export it to html and post it on a web page. Can't do that with paper.

Handbase can also export to XML.