View Full Version : Code Editor?

sub_tex
04-15-2003, 10:15 PM
Any good code editors available?

Preferably one that does Javascript as well so I can code Flash Actionscript on it and still have some highlighting.

Syntax highlighting is a must.

rhmorrison
04-15-2003, 10:34 PM
Any good code editors available?

You might take a look at the JEDI Editor. It's FREE.
Of the commercial packages I have used in the past I always thought that CodeWriight was the best Windows Programmers Editor. But it's not cheap! PFE isn't bad either but has no syntax highlighting...

YGWYPF

sub_tex
04-16-2003, 03:14 AM
These are all for PPC?

All I'm seeing are windows versions, not PPC. . .

rhmorrison
04-16-2003, 08:06 AM
All I'm seeing are windows versions, not PPC. . .
My GOD - who would want to EDIT CODE on a PPC ??? :jawdrop:

PapaSmurfDan
04-16-2003, 05:35 PM
My GOD - who would want to EDIT CODE on a PPC ??? :jawdrop:

Well, probally the same people who have no issue writing full documents on PPC's. And if you use a language like Python (a PPC port exsits), then on device coding is possible and very useful to kill time :)

As far as I know, there are no real IDE's for PPC.

sub_tex
04-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Well, probally the same people who have no issue writing full documents on PPC's.

Exactly. People like me. :D

As far as I know, there are no real IDE's for PPC.

I don't even need a full IDE. All I need is a code editor that is something akin to UltraEdit on windows, or SciTE. Collapsable code would rock.

There's some good ones for the Sharp Zaurus.

http://www.thekompany.com/embedded/tkceditor/screenshots.php3

tkcEditor looks nice.

Anything similar to that on PPC?

papo
04-18-2003, 05:16 AM
yes it looks more than nice.. I wish it was free!
Its tempting...nothing free around?..i am considering developing my own!..anyone with the same idea?

:)

sub_tex
04-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Its tempting...nothing free around?..i am considering developing my own!..anyone with the same idea?

I don't think I have the patience to code any kind of text editor, let alone the one I would want to use myself for code editing.

I'm really sort of suprised that there's not some huge list of editors for the PPC. Seems the linux PDAs have the most available.

papo
04-18-2003, 07:18 PM
true , true its a shame actually! this one seems veru very nice and I can see code highlighting and code completion...

I would funcy editing my Java or c# code , or showing my code to others using a text editor with highlighting!

msprague
04-19-2003, 02:16 AM
http://www.logicalsky.com/Product_CEdit.htm
Haven't tried it yet, but there is a 30 day trial version.
CEdit Features:
Color syntax hilighting text editor with support for:
C++/C
HTML
Visual Basic
ASP
Java/JSP

Project Files:
Use IDE project files directly on your PDA. Supports Visual C++, eMbedded Visual C++, Visual Basic, and eMbedded Visual Basic projects.
Create your own CEdit project files on your PDA that contain any number of files in any location.
Organize your related files when not working with a Visual Studio project.

Other Editor Features:
Find and Replace
File Outline (quickly navigate to each function definition)
Adjustable Font Size

papo
04-19-2003, 03:50 AM
Its ok I have tried it, it works ok with some huge Java sources.. The code hughlighting was not perfect but alright.Well I am not the experct in PPC editors since I am quite new, but would you give 30$ for that editor?

Well I dont know..but when i think about it..i am having extra throughts! What about an editor which would incorporate code completion in a advanced level, since writting code in a PPC its not the best thing to do. I have to admint that tck thing that was mentioned earlier rockzzz.

i am thinking if I can find any open source or freely available code /library for a text/code editor..and with few modifications could be embended in an PPC app. Especially now with Vs.Net 2003 , c# PPC development..