View Full Version : Note taking software

onepieceman
04-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know of any software that can help take notes? I quite like the built in app, but its only good for one note at a time. What I'd like to be able to do is to have my notes automatically timestamped, be able to categorise them, and then to search on category, time, or textual content. I'm aware of a number of programs, but they all do only part of the job. For example, NotesExplorer is nice but it doesn't do timestamps, and categorisation is through folders, PocketInformant allows categorisation but not timestamps or searching, HPC Notes doesn't do time etc.
I'm surprised by the lack of an app in this area. Surely note taking is quite a common use for a PocketPC?
Any ideas?

Mark Kenepp
04-09-2003, 11:40 PM
I have been using the HPC Notes Professional version 4.3 for some time now, I don't know if what I say here applies to other versions of HPC Notes.

HPC Notes does allow organizing notes by time, either note creation date or modification date. It will also allow you to insert the date and time into a note though not automatically.

The search features may not be exactly what you are looking for but I would guess that you can find ways to make HPC notes work for you.

Mark Kenepp
San Francisco, CA

Jacob
04-10-2003, 04:59 AM
HPC Notes is pretty good software.

I think they might give you a deal if you get it with Calligrapher. Calligrapher is great! :D

hollis_f
04-10-2003, 07:29 AM
HPC Notes does allow organizing notes by time, either note creation date or modification date. It will also allow you to insert the date and time into a note though not automatically.I'm glad it isn't automatic. I use one note for a multi-day meeting. At the start of each session I just tap twice to insert the time and date.

onepieceman
04-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the replies.
HPCNotes is probably the best I've seen, but nevertheless it has big limitations, like for example its inability to show ink notes. I guess what I'm looking for is something that will organise the native PocketPC notes. Very often I just want to jot down a scribble, but then have it accessible later, which can only be done practically with timestamps and categories. When I have more time, I can type or use the handwriting recognition, and then I get the benefit of searching as well.

torgamm
04-10-2003, 01:00 PM
For example, NotesExplorer is nice but it doesn't do timestamps
Here is what I do :
- I always create my Notes with freeware Autonote (I found it a long time ago here (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000173.html))
- then I use NotesExplorer to manage notes.

Farfetched, you said ;) ?

Zanne
04-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Pocket Informant has a nice note-taking facility which has all of the features that you asked for, as far as I can tell.

onepieceman
04-11-2003, 08:52 AM
I have PocketInformant 4.01, which is the latest release I believe, and as far as I can tell, I can't sort or group my notes by creation time. Am I missing something? If that was in place, I'd be very nearly where I want to be, although if I was picky, I'd say it was a shame that the PI categories do not synchronise with the Outlook categories :cry: