View Full Version : Will frequent hard resets spoil the unit?

ralliart12
04-07-2003, 06:52 AM
I like to do frequent hard resets to clean up my PPC. Because every reset(hard & soft) will make the screen like suddenly blank out & re-display again, I was wondering if frequent and/or back-to-back resets will spoil the screen or the entire unit in general?

stevemac
04-07-2003, 07:51 AM
That is an interesting question.

I don't recall seeing anything in a manual about it.
I guess it could do damage, but I can't see how.
Wouldnt it be the same as turning the unit off, or soft reseting?

Anyone with a more technical understanding got any ideas??

Janak Parekh
04-07-2003, 01:44 PM
No, I can't see how frequent hard or soft resets would damage the unit it, short of damaging the reset button itself ;)

A hard reset simply clears out the SDRAM, which is designed for many, many write-erase cycles. It's not like reflashing your ROM many times, which will reach its limit (something like 500-1000 write-erase cycles) much more quickly.

A soft reset is just a different way of turning off/on the unit.

How often do you hard reset, though?

--janak

TopDog
04-07-2003, 01:53 PM
A soft reset is just a different way of turning off/on the unit.

How often do you hard reset, though?

--janak
On the Axim, the reset button is hidden behind some rubber... on my Axim, it's starting to get worn... almost a hole in the rubber.

I'm feeling a hard reset is coming soon... (to much junk installed), but does anybody know how to to that on a Axim?

I did it, aproxometly once every 3'd month on my iPAQ's...

PetiteFlower
04-07-2003, 06:24 PM
To hard reset the axim, hold the soft reset button, then push the power button at the same time, then follow the instructions on the screen. This is in the manual also.

TopDog
04-08-2003, 08:10 AM
To hard reset the axim, hold the soft reset button, then push the power button at the same time, then follow the instructions on the screen
Thanks, I'll try that one day :-)
This is in the manual also.
Who reads the manual anyway. My motto is: If everything else fails, read the manual :lol:

Sven Johannsen
04-08-2003, 03:15 PM
You can also 'hard' reset an AXIM by pulling both the batteries. (As those who have run them down accidentally can attest).

I find that I don't need to use a stylus to soft reset my AXIM. Just a firm press at the right point with my finger will do it. Solves the 'hole in the rubber' problem.

PetiteFlower
04-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Who reads the manual anyway. My motto is: If everything else fails, read the manual :lol:

No offense, but this is a motto of stupid men. :roll: If you read the manual, you wouldn't have to ask for help, and that's even LESS manly now isn't it?

:twisted:

LorryDriver71
04-08-2003, 05:03 PM
No offense, but this is a motto of stupid men. If you read the manual, you wouldn't have to ask for help, and that's even LESS manly now isn't it?

Hay, I find that offensive, oh, you said no offense. Dosn't matter.

PetiteFlower
04-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Good thing that you're not the one I was quoting then right?

Jacob
04-08-2003, 08:28 PM
No offense, but this is a motto of stupid men.
:twisted:

But is it a motto of stupid women?

This is not intended to imply that YOU are a stupid woman...just a general question.

PetiteFlower
04-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Ok, I'll rephrase--it's a motto of stupid PEOPLE, but you're more likely to hear it from men then women :)