View Full Version : Nokia 3360 (TDMA, Rogers) and SMS software

axe
04-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Hi all.
I have been looking, and have tried many different packages on a trial basis; all unsuccessfully.
This is what I have: iPaq 3630, Nokia 3360, using TDMA (not GPRS), on Rogers AT&T in Toronto.

What I would love to find is some program that can use the iPaq to type in the SMS or Email messages, since it is infinately easier to do than on the phone's number pad, then connect to the phone using the infrared connection on both devices, and send the message. I don't care whether the phone receives the replies. Have the app split up messages into smaller ones to fit the SMS or email character standard would be great, but a simple character count would work too.

Does anyone know of a package out there that can do this? If so, since Rogers' parameters are not exactly universal, the configuration codes would be super.
I have tried EasySMS, but cannot get it to sync to my phone. WinPhone sounded good, but didn't have my phone in the list of devices, and it failed when I tried to use the Nokia 6xx0 info too.

To be greedy :wink: I'd love it to be able to dialup and I could surf on my iPaq too, but I think I will have to wait til I get a GSM phone for that.
So has anyone had any success linking the PPC to the TDMA based 3360?

thanx in advance,
AXE

Janak Parekh
04-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Hmm. I don't think there's any TDMA-supporting software; all the software that's out there is really designed for GSM at this point. TDMA is a slowly-dying technology...

--janak

ppeltier
04-07-2003, 03:46 AM
I think that rogers older phones (such as 3360) are on a CDMA network.
Ì am not convinced that this has anything to do with the ppc software required, in any case....
1)you may want to see if your phone and ppc can communicate through IR...try sending contact information , back and forth...
2)If that works and If you can send SMS through the Rogers CDMA system already, then any software may work...

good luck :!:

ps: i believe that GSM is a form of TDMA

axe
04-07-2003, 04:37 AM
rogers older phones (such as 3360) are on a CDMA network

CDMA is Bell Mobility, I'm afraid. TDMA is what Telus (I think) and Rogers use. CDMA would be great since there are all kinds of web-browsing options and links out there that can do a miriade of things, but TDMA seems to be an island of it's own. Even most of the US companies I have seen use CDMA (Sprint I think). I have thought about changing companies to Bell, but I don't want to lose my number.
The link from a couple weeks ago about changing numbers from carrier to carrier sounded like a fantastic idea, but I hasn't come to Canada that I have heard yet...

BTW, I can also send info from my PPC to the phone, such as contacts, once I installed Peacemaker.

masaki
04-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Telus and Bell are both CDMA.

Janak Parekh
04-07-2003, 01:39 PM
I think that rogers older phones (such as 3360) are on a CDMA network.
Huh? No, absolutely not. The 3360 is most definitely a TDMA phone.

ps: i believe that GSM is a form of TDMA
OK -- to be precise, GSM is a larger standard whose air interface is a form of TDMA, but it's not the same as the IS-136 TDMA standard that old AT&T networks (including Rogers) used. IS-136 lacks a lot of features that GSM has. Moreover, GSM will be moving to a CDMA interface (UMTS/wCDMA) in the next 5-10 years (although it won't be directly compatible with IS-95 CDMA or cdma2000).

--janak

austingeog
08-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Now that I have a bluetooth device I was wondering the different ways I can use a cellphone to actually connect to the Internet and surf and also what kinds of cellphones I can do this with in addtion to phones with Bluetooth, although IR connection is great also. Obviously the way to go would be to get a bluetooth enabled phone but those are expsensive and I am in the first couple months of a year long committment and changing plans is not something I'd like to do. So in addition to Bluetooth phones are there other ways to surf the internet with the h2210 and a phone? Are there cards that will allow WAP phones to be used? And I am pretty sure even though I can connect to the internet with the Nokia 3360 there is no card that would allow me to use it as a modem for my h2210 or is there?