View Full Version : need advice on going mobile with ppc

cyj
03-23-2003, 06:04 AM
I thought having a wireless connection for my PPC was still some ways down the road so I've never paid attention to it. Now I may really need it and don't know where to start. On top of that I've never owned a cell phone (don't really like em).

Anyway, what I have noticed is a couple postings mentioning the Ericsson t68i with Blue Tooth as a way to connect. I own an iPaq 3835. I guess I would need to get either the Blue Tooth sleeve or a dual battery sleeve and a blue tooth card. As far as connecting, I see there is the availability of 56k.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this? Are there other recommended ways? And is there a particular place I should try to read up on this?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some direction or relate their experience.

Jason Dunn
03-23-2003, 06:48 AM
Bluetooth and a T68i works quite well, but you may find the 3800 a little bulky with the sleeve.

TopDog
03-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Before I bought my Axim, I used a 3850 with SilverSlider II (http://www.superbuyonline.com/galanteya/productsframe.htm) and Audiovox RTM-8000 (http://www.audiovox.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/product_mainpage.d2w/input?prrfnbr=1472612) (GSM/GPRS modem in CF-size)

I love the Audiovox, recommend it highly if you want a plug'n'play solution for easy getting online with your PPC!

I use the Audiovox with my Axim every day...

PetiteFlower
03-24-2003, 05:56 PM
If you want a sleeve-less solution then I would recommend the Gomadic wireless internet cable with a Sprint LG 5350 phone with a Vision plan or a Verizon phone with an unlimiteddata plan(not sure which phones from Verizon Gomadic makes cables for). You just plug the phone into your PDA, set up the connection, and in a few seconds you're online :) No it's not technically wireless but IMO it's a lot less cumbersome then having to deal with a bulky sleeve. If you had an axim then you could get a BT CF card to go with a BT phone, but with the IPAQ, no dice :)

Another advantage is I believe a non BT phone will cost you a LOT less then the t68i. My LG5350 cost me $150; but if you're a new customer you get to take advantage of the discounts/rebates that I didn't because I already had Sprint service. And the Gomadic cable is only $40.

cyj
03-25-2003, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Concerning the bulkiness of the sleeve, that's not a big issue unless the bluetooth sleeve is bigger than the single CF slot sleeve Are there any pictures stacking these two alongside each other?

Also, how does the dual slot CF sleeve with battery stack up (Slot in top and in side)? I can see that getting a separate bluetooth card and using the dual sleeve might be a good route to take in case I want to use the bluetooth card in my laptop. And also in case my 3835 dies and HP lets go of the present ipaq sleeve design.

PetiteFlower - I usually do like to save money. But what really appeals to me about the t68i is that I can stick the phone in a pocket and get it out of the way leaving me free to deal only with the PPC.

Anybody recommend any articles to read on this?

Icebaron
03-25-2003, 01:16 AM
as an alternative to the CF sleeve, you might want to try the whitney-krussell CF case at http://madebywhitney.com. I love the combination of a sweet leather case with a CF slot, all while minimizing bulk.

As far as service providers, I'd be curious what others have used or looked at. I've looked into sprint's unlimited vision plans but they won't have a bluetooth enabled phone for probably several more months. Is there any other unlimited plan out there?