View Full Version : 1xRTT vs. GPRS

GQ19
03-19-2003, 05:40 AM
ok, i'm thinking of leaping over to a 5455 and getting a phone that has some type of connectivity. What is the real difference between speed and reliability of CDMA 1xRTT and GSM GPRS? What do you guys think i should spring for in terms of the best prices/ performance..

Janak Parekh
03-19-2003, 05:43 AM
1xRTT is generally faster, but typically not hugely, and there aren't any CDMA Bluetooth phones available yet.

--janak

JonnoB
03-19-2003, 05:56 AM
'yet' being the operative word.

GQ19
03-19-2003, 06:18 AM
yep.. the t608 is coming out for the Sprint network with BT.. is there ANY official word as to whether or not they will still have unlimited data plans? because i don't think it's technically possible to block just one phone from using it is there? And surely people will get around any type of software limitation they put on it?

Agammamon
03-25-2003, 04:26 PM
Verizon has an unlimited data plan ($100/mo). That's what I'm using now. They also have plans that charge per minute and per Mb.

Janak Parekh
03-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Verizon has an unlimited data plan ($100/mo). That's what I'm using now. They also have plans that charge per minute and per Mb.
But yet, they don't offer a Bluetooth solution with it. You have to use the PC card or a serial cable. :bad-words:

--janak

daS
03-31-2003, 07:44 AM
Too bad the version of the Sony-Ericsson phone that Verizon has selected won't have Bluetooth! :evil: That's the difference between the one that Sprint will be selling and the one from Verizon.

The lack of a SIM card that allows you to use any phone with your account gives the CDMA carriers so much power over the phone makers and users, that you're only allowed to use the technology that the carrier thinks is important. Of course we know that they know what we want better than we do. Right? :roll:

Janak Parekh
03-31-2003, 02:40 PM
Too bad the version of the Sony-Ericsson phone that Verizon has selected won't have Bluetooth! :evil: That's the difference between the one that Sprint will be selling and the one from Verizon.
I've heard (rumors, again) that Verizon specifically requested that Bluetooth be removed.

The lack of a SIM card that allows you to use any phone with your account gives the CDMA carriers so much power over the phone makers and users, that you're only allowed to use the technology that the carrier thinks is important. Of course we know that they know what we want better than we do. Right? :roll:
The irony is that the lack of a SIM card has nothing to do with CDMA as an air interface, as you probably know -- in Korea and other areas they have SIM cards that work with their cdma2000 handsets. It's just that the IS-95 standard and its successors adopted here don't use SIMs.

It's not terrible, mind you, on Verizon - you can buy an unlocked CDMA phone and with some fairly simple NAM programming can get it working on their service. (Of course, the lack of availability of unlocked CDMA phones is a different problem.)

Oh, and Sprint is worse - they will refuse to work with any non-Sprint phone and will not unlock theirs under any circumstances (without clever "social engineering", at least).

--janak

JvanEkris
03-31-2003, 05:35 PM
AFAIK, in European networks, you still have to pay by the minute for 1xRTT. GPRS however is payed by the kilobyte. (Hello slow servers :))

GPRS is extremely reliable. I use it on a daily basis. When the phone/GPRS connection goes down becuase of tunnels, elevators etc., it automatically reconnects. If it is short enough, your PDA and VPN connection does not even notice :)

Jaap

trog
03-31-2003, 11:43 PM
Verizon Wireless DOES have a bluetooth phone, or should I say while supplies last. It is the CDMA version of the Ericson T60 series, also they are changing their " all you can eat " pricing to $79.99/month. Some other interesting things: they are testing their "higher speed" network in Washington D.C. and San Diego. Max throughput to 2.4 Mbps. Finally look for the Samsung i700 to hit the market in two weeks. It is not a phone edition device, but runs the Watcher program. Built in camera, 2way SMS, 1XRTT capable. I will have mine in about 10 days.

Janak Parekh
04-01-2003, 12:25 AM
Verizon Wireless DOES have a bluetooth phone, or should I say while supplies last. It is the CDMA version of the Ericson T60 series, also they are changing their " all you can eat " pricing to $79.99/month.
Do you have it? How does it work? I've heard of the combo, but never heard any results.

--janak

trog
04-01-2003, 03:59 AM
I have not used the Ericson phone, although I did use the Motorola 270 w/my Jornada 568 and it was great. I currently am using the 568 w/expansion sleeve and a Sierra Wireless card on Verizon's network and it flies on 1XRTT.

Agammamon
04-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I noticed the price drop with my first bill. I use the Sierra wireless card in my 5455 away from home and in my laptop otherwise and can usually connect at 115Kbps

pocketpc568
04-10-2003, 05:37 PM
I have a treo 300 and love using Sprint's $10/mos unlimited data plan, although I can't stand palm, so I'm patiently awaiting the hitachi g1000. I like the i700 but think I'm going with the g1000 for the keyboard and flipcover.

trog
04-10-2003, 10:00 PM
The other benefit to the 1XRTT angle is that it is currently being upgraded to I believe what they are call EV-DO. Verizon has it up in San Diego and Washington D.C. We are talking bursts up to 2.4 Mbps. No idea on pricing or when it will go nationwide. It is basically the same technology as WCDMA, which most carriers have as their final 3G destination. Verizon will be the forst to that path and promises backward compatibilty.

that_kid
04-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Right now i'm in South Carolina using my sprint Yiso card and it's great. Plus since this card does voice/data I was able to put it on a voice/data plan :D. Now I can make and recieve calls from my 5450, and the speed is very good as well. I've been streaming video and music all day and night. As i'm writing this I am connected to my home network over IpSec vpn and pulling my mail from my exchange server. So no matter where I am I can do what I need.