View Full Version : CF GPS for the Axim that doesn't block the headphone jack?

Pat Logsdon
03-05-2003, 10:56 PM
OK - I think I'm going to take the plunge soon and get a CF GPS for my Axim. The problem is that I want the OPTION of routing the voice commands through my car's stereo system. To do this, I need to have the headphone jack free and unobstructed.

Does anyone have a CF GPS unit that doesn't obstruct the headphone jack? They all look pretty wide to me, but it's hard to tell from the pictures if they'll work or not.

FredMurphy
03-06-2003, 12:35 AM
Not a cheap option but Socket do a Bluetooth CF card and a Bluetooth GPS unit. Your Axim won't even look any different.

Worked great with my Jornada 568 before it died and (apart from the low volume) still works with my iPAQ 5450.

Pat Logsdon
03-06-2003, 01:57 AM
Believe me, I would LOVE to get the Socket, but it's just too expensive. My wife would kill me in many nasty ways if she found out that I bought a GPS setup that cost more than the PDA. :(

I've heard good things about the Holux and the Deluo...anyone here have one of those?

tommEEpickles
03-09-2003, 07:39 PM
I just purchased GPS for the Dell Axim. I looked at many options for the Dell. Tech TV reviewed one GPS made by Pharos. Voice commands and good display. I did some searches for good prices and availablility. I found the Pharos specifically for the Axim sold by Tiger Direct. It was $219, which was the lowest price I have seen for Pocket PC GPS at the time. The cool thing about this GPS for me is that I will be using this in the car and that is what it is made for. It connects to the serial port, leaving both the CF and SD slots open for memory. The maps will take up some memory. About 16mb per region. I have a 128 SD card and I was able to copy all of South California and Las Vegas. The Pharos GPS unit came with an antenna/receiver and the software. The reciever mounts on your dash against the windshield making use of a suction cup (velcro could have been better). The receiver has two connctions, one to the bottom of the Axim and one to the lighter jack in the automobile. The cool suprise that I saw was the Axim is being charged while using this GPS reciever. This meant I only needed one lighter plug to power my GPS/Axim. Things that you will realize, is that this is not a portable GPS. You won't be able to go hiking with this GPS unit.

The operation was pretty smooth. I did have some complaints. First is loading of the files that you are going need your journey. This takes some time is you are going to do it though the sync cable. You are better off transfering to CF or CD. I put this in my car and with the PDA mounting with the included vent mount. It took 3 or so minutes to aquire the satelites but I am attributing the problem to the marine layer here at the beach. It could also give you a little more warning before turns. It will give you step by step directions to destinations. It can calculate new routes. I could see it being a pain on long trips since you have to load maps ahead of time. I mapped a tripfrom LA to Las Vegas and I have to preload by hand 5 maps. This is a fun toy and the software is pretty good compared to most Pocket PC software. Tiger direct also sells the CF version of this GPS for $199.

tommEE pickles
moloch industries
http://moloch.org
http://tommEE.net

ClieTT
03-11-2003, 08:00 AM
I use Holux CF GPS with Dell. It doesn't block the audio jack.

Holux CF GPS uses SIRF II LP chipset. Both battery life and sensitivity are amazing. I was able to use Holux CF GPS with Dell for at least 4 hours without external power. Under most of circumstances, I was able to get fix even indoors.

http://www.semsons.com/holcfgpsrecw.html

You will find lots of good information about GPS at pocketpcpassion.com GPS discussion board.

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=39

Pat Logsdon
03-11-2003, 06:28 PM
Thanks, ClieTT - I'd been looking pretty closely at the Holux and your post clenched it.

Holux, here I come! :D

ramadass
03-18-2003, 04:27 AM
Hi Surgical Snack,

Are you planning to get the Mappolis platinum or Mappolis Navigator?

Is there any difference between these other than voice prompts?

Thanks,
Ram

buyGPSnow
03-19-2003, 04:04 AM
Hi Ramadass,

Yes, you are right and plus Mapopolis Navigator edition dynamically displays Turn-by-Turn directions.

On the other hand, with Mapopolis Platinum, you will have to click on some menus to view the step by step / door-to-door directions listing (which is not a good idea to do while you are driving).

I am not sure if Mapopolis Platinum has dynamic routing. Anyone?

ramadass
03-19-2003, 04:45 AM
I'm looking to buy "CompactFlash GPS (Holux GM-270 Ultra) with Mapopolis Navigator Online Subscription",

But in all places it says "Limited map region", what does it mean? Is it that I can download only one state or county?

Please help.... :cry:

buyGPSnow
03-19-2003, 05:36 AM
Dear Ramadass,

Thanks for your post.

"Limited map region (20 million population in North America, 13 million population in Western Europe)" is a standard statement from Mapopolis.com and what that meant is you could only load X number of county maps and all the county maps added up MUST have a population of less than 20 million. County maps loaded after you exceed the limit will be ignored. Pls don't panic. This is almost a none issue even if you are doing a load trip of 5000 miles.

For example, if I am doing a road trip from Atlanta to St. Louis, Missouri, I would load all the highway maps in between this route and only load a small number of county maps on origin and destination just to be able to do door-to-door routing. You may be able to load some additional county maps along you trip where you might want to drop by and visit instead of doing a straight shoot to your destination.

FYI: GA Major Road/Interstate maps is about 370K only. So, travelling from coast to coast is not an issue if you have a 128MB of SD Card. Make sense?

Hope this helps. Anyone, pls add/correct my points if you see any discrapency.

ramadass
03-22-2003, 02:36 AM
Thanks a lot BuyGPSNow!!!

Will there be any discount for PPCThoughts users? :lol:

buyGPSnow
03-25-2003, 04:03 AM
We are in the process of talking to PocketPC Thoughts team to:
a) Let visitor to this forum to donate a small about of money to maintain this site via PayPal Donation
b) and this forum site admin will send you a 5% to 10% discount coupon that you can use towards the entire purchase at www.BuyGPSnow.com

I will let you know once have the approved on this arrangement with PocketPC Thoughts team.

Stay Tune.