View Full Version : Pocket Plus 1.2.1 Released

Jason Dunn
02-22-2003, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=6846&associateid=204' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketgear.com/software_...associateid=204</a><br /><br /></div>Jason Dunn, VP of Marketing for Spb Software House, reporting in. It was mildly painful seeing <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=78123">messages from people who had problems with the 1.2 release</a>, but Vassili and I sat down at the MVP Summit, went through the messages, and talked about how to fix each one. We think we've nailed the bugs, and added back the feature we removed:<br /><br />• "Alarm duration" option is back <br />• Support for iPaq 1900 and 5400 series <br />• Toshiba e740 Today plug-in options bug is fixed<br />• Phone Edition (XDA/MDA) close button bugs are fixed <br /><br />This is a free update for registered users. You can install 1.2.1 over top your current version and you shouldn't need to re-register (I just tested this on my Axim). And if you haven't bought Pocket Plus yet, you don't know what you're missing. :wink:

paris
02-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Support for iPaq 1900 and 5400 series???????????

i have 1.2 installed and it works, i think

maneufeld1
02-22-2003, 02:31 AM
does this program drain the battery faster since it constantly keeps tabs on the system?
also, has anyone had the repeating alarm fail? i ask because using the default alarm function of ppc 2002 has failed me quite a few times.
finally, has anyone noticed any degradation in system stability using this program?

dbman
02-22-2003, 02:34 AM
does this program drain the battery faster since it constantly keeps tabs on the system?
also, has anyone had the repeating alarm fail? i ask because using the default alarm function of ppc 2002 has failed me quite a few times.
finally, has anyone noticed any degradation in system stability using this program?

I have not noticed any increase in battery drain. I have not had a repeating alarm fail and my Axim works perfectly with this program. The repeating alarms alone are worth the price to me. Add to that the ability to specify how long these alarms are going to last is super. No need to worry about running the battery down when you are not available to hear the alarm.

maneufeld1
02-22-2003, 02:42 AM
thanks. i am thinking about getting this. one more question, though. minus the repeating alarms, which are crucial, battery pack 2003 appears to have very similar features. what are peoples' thoughts on it?

chapter
02-22-2003, 02:59 AM
I un-installed my version 1.1. Then went back to pocket gear and downloaded it again. I re-installed and the very first new thing I saw was an indicator on the Today screen showing me how much memory is left on the SD card. Before the update only main memory level appeared.

drop
02-22-2003, 03:48 AM
Thanks for a wonderful product and attention to customer's requests.

Mike Wagstaff
02-22-2003, 03:52 AM
... also, has anyone had the repeating alarm fail? i ask because using the default alarm function of ppc 2002 has failed me quite a few times.
The default alarm function is flawed in that alarms are not always picked up by the OS when you set them. The trick is not to turn your device off for at least 3 seconds (more to be on the safe side) when you set an alarm.

This has been discussed in an earlier news thread, so do a search to find out the full story behind this rather bizarre issue. Also, just to make it absolutely clear, it's definitely not a fault with PocketPlus, which has always worked perfectly for me.

dlangton
02-22-2003, 04:39 AM
Just a feature request for Pocket Plus.

It would be nice if the installation routine, or control applet, gave the option to disable the Today Screen plugin. While it's a perfectly acceptable plugin, I already have plenty of Today screen plugins, so that the additional one disables other plugins. I've renamed the *.dll file as a solution, but would prefer to see the option integrated into Pocket Plus.

Ed Hansberry
02-22-2003, 04:44 AM
CAB files.....we need CAB files!!!

Jason Dunn
02-22-2003, 05:25 AM

CAB files don't have a EULA, so you won't see many larger software companies using them to distribute apps - it makes them too vulnerable to lawsuits...

Ed Hansberry
02-22-2003, 05:30 AM

CAB files don't have a EULA, so you won't see many larger software companies using them to distribute apps - it makes them too vulnerable to lawsuits...
Really? I think Pocket Informant has an EULA in their CAB installer. Maybe not. I never thought of that. That stinks.

"Kill all the lawyers!" :lol:

(I'm sure I'll get nasty emails about that tonight too. Tonight is my time to draw fire apparently.) :roll:

Ed Hansberry
02-22-2003, 05:35 AM
Support for iPaq 1900 and 5400 series???????????

i have 1.2 installed and it works, i think
That is probably the backlight control. I think that darn thing is different on every Pocket PC.

pschultz
02-22-2003, 06:00 AM
And if you haven't bought Pocket Plus yet, you don't know what you're missing. :wink:

I have looked into Pocket Plus, but decided not to buy it because I can use WIS Bar free. Plus with WIS Bar, you can skin the title bar. Could someone explain to me why Pocket Plus is better than WIS Bar and worth the money? What am I missing?........

Ed Hansberry
02-22-2003, 06:24 AM
And if you haven't bought Pocket Plus yet, you don't know what you're missing. :wink:

I have looked into Pocket Plus, but decided not to buy it because I can use WIS Bar free. Plus with WIS Bar, you can skin the title bar. Could someone explain to me why Pocket Plus is better than WIS Bar and worth the money? What am I missing?........
It doesn't block connection icons
Repeating alarms
Detailed battery on the today screen
Repeating alarms
Multiple windows in IE
And it has repeating alarms.

Janak Parekh
02-22-2003, 06:28 AM
There's still one bug: while the memory graph shows both data and program memory, the megabyte readout only tells you about free program memory. Maybe that's a feature? :lol:

Otherwise, it works well for me. The storage card meter is immensely useful.

--janak

marlof
02-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Really? I think Pocket Informant has an EULA in their CAB installer. Maybe not. I never thought of that. That stinks.

"Kill all the lawyers!" :lol:

(I'm sure I'll get nasty emails about that tonight too. Tonight is my time to draw fire apparently.) :roll:

Lawsuits are initiated by regular people. Just like the paper the lawsuits are written on, the lawyers are nothing but a tool to a means. If you want to kill something, kill the lawsuit happy community. :D

I still don't get why a EULA would prevent .cab distribution of software.

One way to do this, is to have the EULA on a secure webpage that you need to access before getting access to the .cab file. I don't see much difference in reading a EULA in a Windows Installer on a desktop, before extracting the .cab file and installing that onto the Pocket PC, or reading it online, before being able to get a straight .cab download.

Another way to do this, is have the program initiate with run once startup screens showing the EULA and have the program only install itself when the EULA is accepted. I think that should be able to do within a .cab file, but I don't know what it will do to the size of the .cab file.

maneufeld1
02-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Is there a way to make it so the alarms repeat but the calendar reminders sound once? i love the repeating alarms but have no use for the reminders to sound off in such a fashion.

Dave Beauvais
02-22-2003, 06:19 PM
... the option to disable the Today Screen plugin. ... I've renamed the *.dll file as a solution, but would prefer to see the option integrated into Pocket Plus.
It is - go to the Pocket Plus settings in Start/Settings and uncheck the Today Plug-in.

--Dave

taxus
02-22-2003, 06:28 PM
I don't mind the lack of cab files, since they generally end up in &lt;C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync> anyway. So after using the installer, I took the cab in &lt;C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\PocketPlus> and put it on my SD card.

As for repeating alarms... it doesn't look possible, maneufeld1. PocketPlus initially had repeating alarms only for calendar reminders, but then added them for clock and tasks. They all seem to use the same parameters.

For my part, the reason I like Pocket Plus is that I'm pretty happy with the Pocket PC 2002 UI, except for the lack of an easy task switcher, and the lack of repeating alarms. I tried all the WIS bar variants, and didn't like them: I'd have to modify the button BMPs every time I change my Today scheme, or configure the color gradient for the menu bar myself. Too much trouble, and I don't like the behavior of the buttons anyway: while you're pressing "OK", there is no indication that you are pushing the button. Not so with Pocket Plus.

Pocket Plus is exactly the software I'd been waiting for to enhance my Pocket PC.

Janak Parekh
02-22-2003, 08:32 PM
There's still one bug: while the memory graph shows both data and program memory, the megabyte readout only tells you about free program memory. Maybe that's a feature? :lol:
Correction to myself: it is indeed a feature. If you tap-and-hold on any of the Today Screen meters, excepting the brightness one, you'll get options to set it just the way you want.

Anyway, I give 1.2.1 two thumbs up. :)

--janak

pschultz
02-23-2003, 11:05 PM
What do you like better, Battery Pack or the Pocket Plus today screen plugin? Why, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks for your help.