View Full Version : Rirath and Jason Quibble over Photos

Rirath
02-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Okay how often has this happened to you? You pull out your Pocket PC to show off some digital pictures to your friends and colleagues only to be the rewarded with that stupid, annoying, "please wait" icon spinning like a moron in the middle of your screen.

To answer the question, never. Usually calling the icon stupid a few times in a row indicates user error. :wink: I would most certainly be one of the jeering friends.

Hmm, the only way I'd recommend something like this is if you have no access to a desktop PC when you need it. Judging from the examples you give, I can see some quality loss between the original and the result. If at all possible, use Photoshop and it's amazing save for web compression for the highest quality. You really can see the difference on these LCD screens.

Personally I just set up a custom action in Photoshop to resize, sharpen, compress, and save a folder of images. More so, if these images have not yet been processed and they're straight from the camera, spending 5 minutes cropping and adjusting brightness and contrast levels will make a world of difference. I use a second action for unprocessed images, auto-level, auto-contrast, resize, sharpen, compress, save.

On the other hand, if you're absolutely image illiterate and your idea of a image editor is MS Paint, then at least your moving in the right direction. Or like I said, you simply don't have access to your PC and need to show the images now.

Jason Dunn
02-19-2003, 08:04 PM
Hmm, the only way I'd recommend something like this is if you have no access to a desktop PC when you need it.

Isn't the kind of the point of having a Pocket PC? :wink:

The scenario we envisioned is pretty simple:

1) User takes photos with digital camera
2) User wants to keep those images on the Pocket PC
3) User inserts memory card
4) User optimises images for Pocket PC
5) User retains original high-resolution images on CF card for use on desktop PC

Using Photoshop actions might be easy for you, but it's not for everyone (or easy to justify an expensive app for something so simple) - this application obviously doesn't interest you, but not everyone is like you (you keep forgetting that Tony).

Rirath
02-19-2003, 08:28 PM
Hmm, the only way I'd recommend something like this is if you have no access to a desktop PC when you need it.

Isn't the kind of the point of having a Pocket PC? :wink:

Using Photoshop actions might be easy for you, but it's not for everyone (or easy to justify an expensive app for something so simple) - this application obviously doesn't interest you, but not everyone is like you (you keep forgetting that Tony).

I didn't forget it at all... in fact I said it I believe 3 times. (even right in the quote)
The only thing I'm saying is IF you have access to a desktop PC / laptop PC with PS...

1) User takes photos with digital camera
2) User wants to keep those images on the Pocket PC
3) User inserts memory card in card reader
4) User optimises images for Pocket PC using photoshop action
5) User retains original high-resolution images on harddrive

Now, I read this review very carefully, as always, and no where in it did I see mention that this was on the road only. Also if you're transferring 10 500KB images to your PPC just to convert them, your causing yourself an awful lot of extra headache. And since many photographers do own photoshop and laptops, it's worth noting.

Jason Dunn
02-19-2003, 08:38 PM
The only thing I'm saying is IF you have access to a desktop PC / laptop PC with PS...

Then why bother making the comment at all? It's like going into a review of an action game and saying "I don't like action games, so I won't buy this application." If you have a comment that adds value, by all means add it, but if an application/accessory doesn't interest you at all, what's the point in telling everyone, other than upping your post count? :?

Also if you're transferring 10 500KB images to your PPC just to convert them, your causing yourself an awful lot of extra headache.

It can convert straight from the memory card - you don't need to copy them over to the device. Maybe you should try an application before bashing it? :roll:

And since many photographers do own photoshop and laptops, it's worth noting.

So you're saying that if a photographer owns Photoshop (say $500) and a laptop (say $2000) and has configured actionscripts like you have, then a $14.95 program that runs on their Pocket PC is "worth nothing". :roll: Yeah, right.

Rirath
02-19-2003, 08:48 PM

Then why bother making the comment at all? It's like going into a review of an action game and saying "I don't like action games, so I won't buy this application." If you have a comment that adds value, by all means add it, but if an application/accessory doesn't interest you at all, what's the point in telling everyone, other than upping your post count? :?

I don't care less about my post count and I never said the app didn't interest me. You're adding this yourself. You used this exact quote from me:

"Hmm, the only way I'd recommend something like this is if you have no access to a desktop PC when you need it."

If you read that again, you'll see I said I'd recommend something like this. That's the keywords Jason, I would recommend this if the user isn't going to do it on the desktop! What more do you want?

Also if you're transferring 10 500KB images to your PPC just to convert them, your causing yourself an awful lot of extra headache.

It can convert straight from the memory card - you don't need to copy them over to the device. Maybe you should try an application before bashing it? :roll:

I know that! My God I'm not that stupid. Again, you completely misread what I was trying to say. I said IF, because believe me, there are people out there that would take 10 500KB files off their hard drives and transfer them to a memory card for processing with this program.

And since many photographers do own photoshop and laptops, it's worth noting.

So you're saying that if a photographer owns Photoshop (say $500) and a laptop (say $2000) and has configured actionscripts like you have, then a $14.95 program that runs on their Pocket PC is "worth nothing". :roll: Yeah, right.

I never said that. Not once did I EVER say "worth nothing". It's not in my posts, anyone can check. I said worth noting!