View Full Version : Want to Write for Pocket PC Magazine?

Jason Dunn
02-06-2003, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcmag.com/submissions/' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcmag.com/submissions/</a><br /><br /></div>If you've ever dreamed of seeing your name in print, and a wee picture to boot, then you might want to contact Pocket PC magazine.<br /><br />"Thanks for your interest in writing an article for Pocket PC magazine. Up front, let me tell you that we don’t pay authors. But we will publish your contact information and a small bio box where you can describe what you do. We’ll need your photo also, to go with the article..."

Seraph1024
02-06-2003, 04:35 PM
This could be interesting.

Ken Mattern
02-06-2003, 04:43 PM
Writing for Pocket PC magazine definately pays off. Since my last article, March 2003, I have had more email and phone calls than I can handle. I've signed about four NDAs and am entering into business with a number of parties.

If you have something worth sharing, the guys at Pocket PC magazine will work with you to produce a polished piece. Rich Hall, the editor, and Doug Mackey, the Enterprise section editor, do an excellent job.

Hell, they even made me look handsome in the bio pic.

Amazing 8O

Ken

jpmierau
02-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Writing for PPCM is very rewarding -- but they must've been using driver's license picture-taking software to choose and crop the headshot they used of me!
It's a great way to learn more, & turn a hobby into something a bit more productive (great for keeping annoyed partners at bay when you're being geeky too!).
And someday a decent picture of me will make it to the web, THIS I swear 8)

McInk
02-07-2003, 12:44 AM
I'm always amazed that people will contribute to magazines for free without thinking about how this affects the entire writing industry. If my "hobby" was designing web sites and I offered to do it for free, a lot of web designers would be justifiably angry. The same with all the "consultants" who write for free in order to get a plug for their business without thinking about how devestating to their livelihood it would be if free consultants started popping up.
If you have talent, she should get paid for it. Writing is no different.
Cheers,
Grant

CharlesWilcox
02-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Grant,

Take comfort in the fact that while the vast majority of adults in the US can write, considerably less than that can do it well. Many of those who are "published" shouldn't be allowed to write a check. Present company excluded, of course. :wink:

Charles

Hal Goldstein
02-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Grant, you have a point, of course. However, let me explain our thinking. We aren't looking for professional writers to contribute to the magazine; we are looking for expert users. We have been using this philosophy in our 18 years producing mobile computing publications. Since our contributers are not professional writers, it often takes our editors, a fair amount of work with the author to get the article into top shape. Bottom line is that we feel by make our expert user readers, our writers, we end up with a more useful publication then if we paid for professional writers, who normally aren't Pocket PC pros.

Hal Goldstein, Publisher (owner) Pocket PC magazine

Pony99CA
02-07-2003, 04:24 PM
I'm always amazed that people will contribute to magazines for free without thinking about how this affects the entire writing industry. If my "hobby" was designing web sites and I offered to do it for free, a lot of web designers would be justifiably angry. The same with all the "consultants" who write for free in order to get a plug for their business without thinking about how devestating to their livelihood it would be if free consultants started popping up.

There are so many illogical assumptions and conclusions in your post that I hardly know where to start -- but I'll try. :-)

First, how many writers will be put out of work by a few authors writing for free?

Second, how many businesses will want a hobbyist working on their mission-critical Web sites? And how many individuals are willing to pay for a professional Web designer to put up their family photos?

Third, why shouldn't somebody be able to do something the way they want (as long as it doesn't break the law)? We live in a supposedly free (no pun intended) country (assuming you're in the U.S., of course).

Finally, have you ever used any freeware? You better not have, because, using your logic, you're putting programmers out of work.

Earth to Chicken Little -- the sky is not falling. :roll:

Steve

danmanmayer
04-24-2003, 11:52 PM
I think it would be fun to have some article in print. I think i will give it a shot. Worse thing that happens is i just post it on my own site like many of my other thoughts.

danmanmayer
04-24-2003, 11:54 PM
I was going to cook dinner for my roommates tonight, but i didn't want to put reastraunts out of business.