View Full Version : Tech buyers, Laptop marketers

Kati Compton
01-11-2003, 12:34 AM
You know - I had started a whole long very detailed rant with quotes from websites about how horrible it is to buy a laptop these days. But Mozilla crashed on me. So you get this instead.

When buying a laptop, I for one want to visit a company's web site to see what they have to offer. In most cases, this site will have a list of all the different model lines (I've seen as many as 10, but there could be more at some sites), a "description" of each, and make you select the model line in order to find out more information (ie, SPECS!).

How are we supposed to choose between phrases such as "Style and power in a connected device" and "Power and connectivity in an attractive package"? Plus, frequently the ones that list "connectivity", as well as the ones that don't, provide the same (or similar) overall options in terms of integrated whatever. There's a lot of flowery phrasing on vendor sites that has little to do with distinguishing one model line from another.

I'd be happy if I could easily narrow down the most suitable laptop from each company so that I could then compare across companies. But comparing within a company is very difficult. It's a similar trend in desktops. Do I want to play games? Do I want to be productive? Do I want to be connected to the Internet? What if the answer is more than one? Do I trust the company to choose the best computer for me?

This is helpful for those that are buying a first-time computer or who aren't up on the current technology. But for the rest of us, it makes a purchasing decision quite difficult. I think the marketing department is working too hard to make computers sound appetizing, while actually sacrificing the quality of the purchasing experience.

Here's my favorite description, by the way, off of the Acer site:

"Aspire 1300 lets you do your most prodcutive work and give you the flexibility to live the kind of lifestyle you've always dreamed of."

So now I can finally buy that mansion by the sea and cure chronic diseases, thanks to my trusty laptop.

[/rant]

ledpocket
01-11-2003, 04:31 AM
Portability / flexibility were my key factors in buying my work laptop. I went with a Fujitsu P-2040 (several months ago), and I am very happy with the decision. It has a curusoe 700mhz chip, 256mb of ram, 20gb hd, dvd+cdrw, 56k, lan, pc type 2, vga out, 2 usb, svideo out, firewire, and a widescreen format (although the screen is small). For all of the apps I use at work, it performs reasonably. There are times that I wait a few seconds for word or excel to open, but once something is open, things are generally speedy.

The size of this laptop and all of the features were the real selling points for me. (It is about the size of a hardcover novel)

If I would have waited about 2 or 3 months I could have had built in wifi, 30gb HD, and 833mhz, but who can ever wait for the next best thing.

All of that, with XP pro for $1600.

btw, you are right. After wading through Dell, IBM, Compaq, Toshiba, and numerous other retailers I got sick of the whole marketing spiel.

Kati Compton
01-11-2003, 04:44 AM
I'm personally trying my best to hold out until Fall (when I can expense it), but was looking forward to window shopping. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to find that the trend of hiding the details that I noticed start a little while ago had intensified... :(

Janak Parekh
01-11-2003, 08:15 AM
But Mozilla crashed on me. So you get this instead.
:cry: It's my fault, eh? ;) By the way, on both IE and Mozilla, when my posts start to get long, I start "backing them up" on the clipboard. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally hit backspace in IE when my cursor wasn't in the window, it went "back", and tossed out my post. Not only my officemates, but the entire floor would hear my cry of anguish. :D

When buying a laptop, I for one want to visit a company's web site to see what they have to offer.::snip::
How are we supposed to choose between phrases such as "Style and power in a connected device" and "Power and connectivity in an attractive package"?
Here's were you get really good at tabbed websurfing. Open all the detailed specs (often in PDFs) in separate tabs and be prepared to switch. Sorry, there really isn't a better way. There are sites that "catalog" the laptops, but they tend to be out-of-date. After a while you start to memorize manufacturers' brand namings and what class (e.g., subnotebook, mid-size, fully-integrated) unit it is.

--janak

Pony99CA
01-11-2003, 10:29 AM
You know - I had started a whole long very detailed rant with quotes from websites about how horrible it is to buy a laptop these days. But Mozilla crashed on me. So you get this instead.

I pretty much agree with your rant, but the Mozilla comment was what interested me. Lately, when I've been browsing Pocket PC Thoughts (and not any other site) with Mozilla, my computer has locked up hard. It happened at least three times in a row Thursday (usually during a post :-() and once Friday. Internet Explorer seemed to work fine, though.

Has anybody else noticed this? (Yes, this is a digression, but I'm curious.)

Steve

Kati Compton
01-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Actually, I was fine until I tried to open another laptop site. I think they had some iffy code. Not sure which company - it's all a blur. :(

Kati Compton
01-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Sorry, there really isn't a better way. There are sites that "catalog" the laptops, but they tend to be out-of-date. After a while you start to memorize manufacturers' brand namings and what class (e.g., subnotebook, mid-size, fully-integrated) unit it is.

I know there's not a better way for me personally, but there's a better way for companies to sell their laptops. Check the Dell Home site. At the top you get the fluff for each unit side-by-side. Scroll down and you see some actual specs. That's definitely a step in the right direction.

Janak Parekh
01-11-2003, 08:47 PM
I pretty much agree with your rant, but the Mozilla comment was what interested me. Lately, when I've been browsing Pocket PC Thoughts (and not any other site) with Mozilla, my computer has locked up hard.
Interesting. I use only Mozilla to surf this site, and have never encountered a crash. Are you using 1.2.1?

I know there's not a better way for me personally, but there's a better way for companies to sell their laptops. Check the Dell Home site. At the top you get the fluff for each unit side-by-side. Scroll down and you see some actual specs. That's definitely a step in the right direction.
Ah, I see your point. Yes, that's true, but it takes more work for them to do that. ;)

--janak

Kati Compton
01-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Ah, I see your point. Yes, that's true, but it takes more work for them to do that. ;)

What, cut & paste from another page that *does* have that information? No, I think it's deliberate. Not to make people like me mad, but in theory to keep from "overwhelming" the "average" consumer. Really, a ton of advertising is done under the assumption that people are either stupid or don't know anything, or want to be talked to like that is the case. The Mac commercials, for example: "I put the thing into one thing, and the other end of it into the other thing and it just worked!". Have you seen the new "Did you know bleach whitens clothes?" commericals? Big "duh" there. And so on.

Janak Parekh
01-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Not to make people like me mad, but in theory to keep from "overwhelming" the "average" consumer. Really, a ton of advertising is done under the assumption that people are either stupid or don't know anything, or want to be talked to like that is the case. The Mac commercials, for example: "I put the thing into one thing, and the other end of it into the other thing and it just worked!".
Point taken. I have worked with the average nontechnical consumer, and they do actually get confused with tech specs. People think I'm speaking a different language when I'm muttering about various services, drivers, or configuration things if I'm futzing with their box.

Maybe they should have a "techies only" link on their sites. ;)

The Mac commercials annoy me immensely, as well. But their laptops are still sooo pretty. :D

--janak

Pony99CA
01-12-2003, 02:22 AM
Sorry, there really isn't a better way. There are sites that "catalog" the laptops, but they tend to be out-of-date. After a while you start to memorize manufacturers' brand namings and what class (e.g., subnotebook, mid-size, fully-integrated) unit it is.

I think there is a better way, at least within a given manufacturer's site. It's a comparison chart, and it's very old school. For comparing different manufacturer's laptops, you probably need to go to a neutral site with reviews.

Steve

Pony99CA
01-12-2003, 02:24 AM
I pretty much agree with your rant, but the Mozilla comment was what interested me. Lately, when I've been browsing Pocket PC Thoughts (and not any other site) with Mozilla, my computer has locked up hard.
Interesting. I use only Mozilla to surf this site, and have never encountered a crash. Are you using 1.2.1?

Nope, I'm on 1.1, but I had never had the problem before. I don't mind if Mozilla crashed, but this locked up my whole system, even right after a reboot. I'll try 1.2.1, though. If I have further problems, I'll just contact the site admin; no need for further digression here. :-)

Steve

Janak Parekh
01-12-2003, 02:29 AM
For comparing different manufacturer's laptops, you probably need to go to a neutral site with reviews.
... and these tend to get out-of-date quickly :(

Nope, I'm on 1.1, but I had never had the problem before.
By all means upgrade to 1.2.1. It's much better than 1.1 was. Mind you, Mozilla should never crash your entire system.

--janak