View Full Version : What Ringtones Do You Use?

Brad Adrian
12-14-2002, 07:32 AM
Okay, this isn't exactly a poll, but I need some help customizing my Pocket PC Phone Edition. I've found several Web sites that offer WAVs that can be used for ringtones, but I'm curious about just which tones people think are coolest.

cherring
12-14-2002, 07:35 AM
I think the ones that make it sound like a phone are the best.

Marc Zimmermann
12-14-2002, 07:48 AM
RocknRoll1 or Vocal5 from the Microsoft ring tone pack.

Jason Lee
12-14-2002, 07:58 AM
I don't have a phone edition but I would want my ringer to sound just like one of those old heavy black bell telephones from the 1940's. Yeah... I wanna hear the bell clanging. :) Uber retro.

My current cell ringer is the chirping noise the communicators made from the original Star Trek tv show.. Uber GEEK!!

szamot
12-14-2002, 08:15 AM
I don't have an XDA not can I customize the cell phone but my reminders on my X5 say. "incoming message from star fleet command coming in on secure channel" it scares people and just makes them wonder. My start sync says "now establishing a data link" and end sync says "transfer complete" all these are of course Star Trek computer voice ripped off the TV am I sure but they are amazing in quality.

Russ
12-14-2002, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I like the old fashion ring tone...bring...bring. People look around to see whose phone is ringing and what kind of sad old b*stard has the dodgy old mobile phone. They are somewhat surprised to see it's an highly sophisticated XDA. Retro chic! Mind I'm heavily into valve amps as well...

Russ
If it wasn't for the XDA and computing I'd be a sad old hi-fi bore...

NeilE
12-14-2002, 08:24 AM
When we were working on Smartphone we had a long-running gag about in the team about Britney Spears (if you've ever seen any of our trade show demos, we'd often talk about using Britney home screens). The first wav ringtone I used on my Smartphone was a clip from "Stronger". It's still one of my favourites, and is about as irritating as you can get :)

One of the other PMs in our team used to have Homer going "D-oh! D-oh! D-oh! D-oh! D-oh!". It was great fun in meetings, especially when we had a bug where the ring tone wouldn't stop playing!

Carlos
12-14-2002, 08:50 AM
I use the "old phone" ring. People love it and have a good laugh. The SMS notification is an ST communicator.

thenikjones
12-14-2002, 11:15 AM
Don't have smartphone - good old HP568 does for me - but on Nokia, used to have jaunty "The Buffoon" tune. Then everyone starts using it, so gone back to "Ring ring"-type sound. As no-one else uses such a boring tone, I can distinguish my phone ringing in the next office!

Recently, read article about how "cool" phone tones are. The author made the point that James Bond uses a simple "ring ring" tone - good enough for him, good enough for me!

Shaun Stuart
12-14-2002, 12:19 PM
This pack for the SPV includes ringtones that could be used on your pocket pc phone. They include

Old Telephone/s - includes old callbox
Joe 90 intro
Shaft intro
mission impossible intro
plus about 15 more ringtones and 20 alarms/alerts including startrek types.

Most of these you could probably find if you searched long enough on the net but if you want them quickly go here

http://tinyurl.com/3ae0

smittyofdhs
12-14-2002, 12:34 PM
This pack for the SPV includes ringtones that could be used on your pocket pc phone. They include

Joe 90 intro
Shaft intro
mission impossible intro

Most of these you could probably find if you searched long enough on the net but if you want them quickly go here

I don't think the ringtones from SP and PPC are in the same format. Besides this file is probably a .cab and will only install on SPV devices.

DavidHorn
12-14-2002, 01:55 PM
Reservoir Dogs intro!

Paragon
12-14-2002, 04:12 PM
I use the Star Trek "Incoming priority one message from star fleet command coming in on a secure channel" on my XDA. I love the looks I get when it goes off. I simply say I better take this it's priority one from Star Fleet. I think some people just stand and watch to see if Scotty is going to beam me up. :D

Dave

Jonathon Watkins
12-14-2002, 04:19 PM
I use a .wav of the tones from 'Close encounters of the Third kind". The film is kind of OK, but the tones have a nice wide range of deep and high notes which means that you can hear itin all kinds of situations. No-one else has this tune either which is usefull.

Ed Hansberry
12-14-2002, 04:44 PM
if anyone wants Star Trek sounds for any reason - visit http://www.stinsv.com/ - tons of stuff.

Shaun Stuart
12-14-2002, 05:07 PM

Joe 90 intro
Shaft intro
mission impossible intro

I don't think the ringtones from SP and PPC are in the same format. Besides this file is probably a .cab and will only install on SPV devices.

The ringtones in this pack are wav files and will work on your pocket pc phone - there is no cab installation just transfer the files over.

pdantic
12-15-2002, 12:03 AM
:D Yep, call me boring but I chose that great "old phone" sound as well. It's really funny to see the expression on the faces of people around you when they hear an old phone ringing (kinda like something Lois Lane would have answered in the OLD circa-1950's Superman TV show) and you pull out this super high-tech device.

:lol: One of my buddies just got an XDA and his ring tone is a WAV file of the last 10 seconds of the orgasm scene from "When Harry Met Sally"! :lol:

Steve
PDAntic.com

yawanag
12-15-2002, 01:28 AM
I was using the Default Ring Tone until I got tired of reaching for my phone every time I heard the T-Mobile commercial on TV. It uses the same tone. I use the Old Phone Tone now. It's cool because you don't hear that too often anymore.

I love the "When Harry Met Sally" idea but I'd be afraid I'd be in some conservative quarters and be ejected. :roll:

Master O'Mayhem
12-15-2002, 06:48 AM
I use the ring from Austin Powers' Shaguar!!!

MikeUnwired
12-15-2002, 07:31 AM
Right now I'm using "Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges" from Blazing Saddles. I also have some Monty Python clips -- especially the one for the SMS "(Arrow sound) A message for you sir". I also use "I fart in your general direction."

This ring tones get lots of funny looks when the phone rings...

Yorch
12-15-2002, 07:50 AM
I use the intro of Voodoo Chile from Jimmy Hendrix, sounds excellent and IT ROCKS!. let me know if you want it

innersky
12-15-2002, 10:14 AM
I've got Monty Python's 'Have you got anything without spam in it' quote for received email/sms messages...

adamz
12-15-2002, 09:11 PM
I also use a clip from the "When Harry Met Sally" movie... of course, Meg Ryan's orgasm. But I customized it a bit in Sound Forge so that it loops seamlessly, and the file size isn't so big.
That one I only use in certain places however... such as parties and movie theaters. I usually act like I don't know what's making that sound either, and then I pull out my iPAQ and say "Hello!". (GSM/GPRS expansion pack, not phone edition... but WAV ring tones all the same.)

But other times, I usually use a customized version of the Woody Woodpecker's Laugh.

I did have Commander Data's "Captain we are being hailed" WAV file the time that I was at a Halloween party dressed in a Star Trek uniform and my iPAQ had the Tricorder software customized with other Party-Goers' photos and humorous descriptions.. along with a custom Star Trek style Today Screen theme of course.

I never get tired of Woody Woodpecker's laugh though.

Shaun Stuart
12-16-2002, 11:52 PM
Joe 90 theme (british TV series from the creator of thunderbirds)
Shaft theme
Mission impossible
Old English call box
White lines hiphop intro
2001 Space
and more

available here: http://tinyurl.com/3krk

Yorch
12-17-2002, 09:58 PM
you guys should check out my website with some cool ring tones for the Phone...and I have Dialpad Skins too!

AND.....FREE

http://www.yorch.net/