View Full Version : What are your thoughts?: Dell, ViewSonic, or HP

Equilibrium
12-13-2002, 02:58 AM
Which $299 device and why?

I am writing an article for PocketLoft.com about the Three devices (The Axim X5 from Dell, the Viewsonic V35, and the iPaq h1910) and I would like to know some insight from PocketPCThoughts members.

So... what do you think?

Kati Compton
12-13-2002, 03:06 AM
Which $299 device and why?

I am writing an article for PocketLoft.com about the Three devices (The Axim X5 from Dell, the Viewsonic V35, and the iPaq h1910) and I would like to know some insight from PocketPCThoughts members.

So... what do you think?

If your main concern is size, but you don't need network ability: iPaq.

If your main concern is size, but you want some network capability in the future: Viewsonic

If your main concern is features: Dell.

iPaq may not be upgradable fully to the next OS, but who knows. This is one slick looking slim device, though. I really think one of its main roles is as a Palm-converter, for those who used to buy Palms because they were so much smaller than Pocket PCs. But it's simply not expandable enough for a power user unless it's as a secondary device.

Viewsonic, while they made a big mistake with the RAM issue, has handled it well. This means that either it wasn't at all intentional, or they're very good at making up for it after being caught. Don't know if there's any nitpicky issues with this device yet (apart from the memory, which is a bigger deal than nitpicky).

The Dell has shown to generally only have minor problems, which is impressive for a first device from a company. They've got a great warranty service (next day replacement - they send you the new one before you send them the old one). The Dell really isn't "big" - it's average sized if you consider devices other than the newest ones. It's that the newest devices are getting so much smaller.

So basically I see the iPaq at one end of the spectrum (really small, not expandable), Dell at the other (biggest of the new, very expandable), and the Viewsonic somewhere in the middle.

PS - in person the Dell isn't as ugly as some of the pictures of it have been. If you can't tell - that's what I bought.

GoldKey
12-13-2002, 03:14 AM
Overall it seems like there are three general criteria to buying PPC. It is your preference for Price, Size, and Features all of which are relative. Of the three, you can usually find a device with two.

Price Features - Axim
Price Size - 1910 or Viewsonic
Features Size - Can't remeber the model, but the Ipaq with the fingerprint scanner and other cool things.

I really think the best bang for the buck has got to go to the 300 Mhz Axim. I ALMOST regret spending the extra on the 400 Mhz model.

GoldKey
12-13-2002, 03:16 AM
Sorry Kati, we had the same basic thought your post popped up while I was typing mine.

Kati Compton
12-13-2002, 03:46 AM
Sorry Kati, we had the same basic thought your post popped up while I was typing mine.

;) No need to apologize. Sometimes it's nice to hear the opinion of more than one person even if they're the same. It says something if people tend to agree.

As for the regret for spending more on 400MHz - remember it's $80 more, not $100 more, and less if you got the $10 off. And while the speed may not be an issue, that expanded memory is great. I haven't come close yet, apart from when I was putting MAME ROMs in RAM (sounds weird, doesn't it?), and it leaves me enough room to keep adding in the future.

TheBacklash
12-13-2002, 04:10 AM
I just this morning ordered my Axim X5.

I looked at all the current PocketPc's, including the ones you mentioned.
My first choice was to stick with a Ipaq, I have a Ipaq 3635 already. (for sale after the Dell arrives)

If price were no problem, I probably would have bought a Ipaq 5450 with built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

I never really looked at the Dell until last weekend. I saw the price and said "pass" knowing for that price is was a "cheapy model"

I wanted Wi-Fi Preferably built in so I could use a Storage card of some sort. Don't want to have a damn sleeve anymore... so Ipaq's were begining to be a non-choice... except the 5450. then again price...
I looked at the Toshiba e740, and almost bought it... But something about the feel of it I just couldn't get past...
On mobileplanet I found it on sale for $499, with a $100 rebate after that... Again I almost bought it.

I looked at the Dell again, and after seeing that the Dell has CF AND SD slots... I started thinking Wi-Fi CF card... 128 SD card... all for less than a Ipaq 5450....

Thats when I *really* started looking at the Dell.

I looked at the Viewsonic at Compusa... only SD. small but nice. I was getting set now on getting a 2 card expansion setup and saving the money on the big built in $700 PocketPc.
Not to mention I'd have to buy a WAP on top of that... and why not get the PCMCIA Wi-Fi card for my laptop also... the $$ started adding up. And I went back to looking at the Dell.
After reading all the wireless advice here, I went out and bought the Wi-Fi stuff to hook a Wireless acess point on my home lan, and go wireless with Ipaq and Laptop. Picked up a 128mb SD card for $49.

Purchased the Dell right afterwards...
$300 for the Dell, About $250 in wireless stuff and SD card... and grand total of $550 up and running. (I'm Including the rebates on just about everything I picked up :D )

In the End the viewsonic just wasn't a contender after seeing only 1 slot...
I use the CF card in my Ipaq all the time... I have to have extra Memory for storage.
If it had Built in Wi-Fi for $100 more... the Viewsonic would have recieved alot more attention from me. I liked the size, the screen wasn't bad. But didn't have an Ipaq near it to compare it too. Then again if it had two expansion slots like the dell... I'd would have thought about it even more.

Basicly I went the route of Wi-Fi from the start. I had it down as my main purchase requirment. I had to have it somehow...

Dell Axim it is.

$300 with two expansion slots, Battery Backup, all reviews about it said basicly the same thing; great but heavy (I have an Ipaq with a cf sleeve.... weight is not an issue) I could add a Wi-Fi CF card, and still have a SD card providing storage, take out the Wi-Fi card when not needing it, and put in a CF storage card full of Mp3's... With two slots to play with, the possibilities were looking great.

Equilibrium
12-13-2002, 04:29 AM
is the dell that heavy?

compared to other pocketpcs, what is the size? i just dont want it to be a tank compared to the other two. i dont know why at this point in time i am swaying with the ipaq although i have always been an anti-ipaq person and i really did like the viewsonic. its all too complicated, but i need to put one of them on my list for santa - plus i have a deadline for my article. i have the research done, but i thought i could put a twist on it with input from real consumers, pda enthusiasts at that.

Kati Compton
12-13-2002, 04:41 AM
is the dell that heavy?

It is a comfortable weight. I expect it's more than a number of other PPC's, but even if you notice, I don't think you'd mind.

compared to other pocketpcs, what is the size? i just dont want it to be a
tank compared to the other two. i dont know why at this point in time i am

Compared to the other two, it is significantly bigger. But like I said, that's only because the other two are significantly SMALLER than the norm. Go to a local store and look at some units. It's probably about the same size as the mid-to-larger PPCs you see there.

TheBacklash
12-13-2002, 05:43 AM
is the dell that heavy?

From what I have found the Dell tips the scale at 6.9oz
Most of the PPC's now weigh in at like 6.0-6.5ish

To me the weight is not an issue.
Then again alot of the Reviews I have read so far, come from palm users... so anything that is a PocketPC wieghs a ton to them.

Dell
Length 128 mm (5.04 inches)
Width 81.5 mm (3.21 inches)
Height 18 mm (0.71 inches)
Weight 196 grams (6.9 oz)

Ipaq 1910

Weight 4.23 oz.
Length 4.46in
Width 2.75in
Height .50in

Ipaq 3800/3900 series

Unit: 5.11" x 3.28" x .62" (6.7 oz.)

The Big Jay
12-13-2002, 08:19 PM
is the dell that heavy?

compared to other pocketpcs, what is the size? i just dont want it to be a tank compared to the other two. i dont know why at this point in time i am swaying with the ipaq although i have always been an anti-ipaq person and i really did like the viewsonic. its all too complicated, but i need to put one of them on my list for santa - plus i have a deadline for my article. i have the research done, but i thought i could put a twist on it with input from real consumers, pda enthusiasts at that.

It's about 7oz, for what it's worth.

Heavy? I think it's a tad heavier than what I'm used to. Someone who's never used one before handled my unit and said it was sorta heavy.

It's not heavy enough to kill, though.

It's around the size of an iPAQ 3xxx.

In retrospect I really wish they didn't discontinue the Jornada 56x - it was quite good.

Job
12-13-2002, 10:33 PM
Hey, Kati (or anyone else), my Axim shipped today, and I really have nothing to compare the size to, excepting my Clie S320. How would you compare it to a TI-83+ graphing calculator?

Kati Compton
12-13-2002, 10:42 PM
Hey, Kati (or anyone else), my Axim shipped today, and I really have nothing to compare the size to, excepting my Clie S320. How would you compare it to a TI-83+ graphing calculator?

I have a TI-81 here to compare to. My guess is that calculator is similar in size to what you have.

These are very estimated estimates, btw. No rulers involved.

About .5 cm thinner.

Same width (nearly exactly)

2" shorter. (yes, I'm mixing with metric...)

Oh, and it's a bit lighter, but I couldn't tell you how much.

Really if you want to get an idea, you could make a paper mockup based on the published measurements, but keep in mind that the shape isn't actually perfectly rectangular. So whatever you make will be slightly bigger than the actual unit.

Why are you asking, though? You already decided! :)

shawnc
12-14-2002, 12:46 AM
I just cancelled my viewsonic with Amazon and order the 400 mhz Dell. I was thinking of changing even before amazon started missing order dates and after reading this tread I am really glad I did.

Thanx to all who contributed.

Sven Johannsen
12-14-2002, 01:00 AM
Just wanted to mention, my Wife's Jornada 568 with a CF card in it weighs 7.2 oz (that's 0.3 more than the Axim spec). Physical size is comparable.

I don't recall anyone saying "Oh my God, what a tank", about the Jornada. The comments were more on the line of "yea, it's bigger than the iPaq, until you add a sleeve."

TheBacklash
12-14-2002, 01:49 AM
I just found the thread here on PPC thoughts that has the side by side pics of the Axim and Ipaq with and without CF sleeve...

How they can call the Axim a brick is beyond me...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5226&start=30&sid=b84b9bdaa237e6f9c813f095c34398c0

Janak Parekh
12-14-2002, 03:24 AM
How they can call the Axim a brick is beyond me...
People are hung up about it :) I posted a while back that the size and weight is comparable to a Visor Deluxe. I've never heard that being called a brick.

--janak

Job
12-14-2002, 05:58 AM
Kati: I can't wait to get mine. I it should be here in the familiar, "3-5 business days." I'm just searching for any information I can find. :)