View Full Version : New iPaqs Take High Road and Low Road

Ed Hansberry
11-14-2002, 02:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1040-965720.html' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1040-965720.html</a><br /><br /></div>The new iPAQ 1910 and 5450 that Jason posted about <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39197">here</a> and <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39188">here</a> will be officially introduced on Monday, November 18. Hmmmm.... same day the Dell Axim X5 is introduced. Coincidence? I think not! :wink: <br /><br />Cindy Box, HP marketing director, doesn't plan on giving up an inch of marketshare to Dell either. "Box said that HP plans to follow the h1910 with more products in the value part of the handheld market and does not plan on ceding any market share to Dell--or anyone else. "We're going to continue to look at 'Can we go lower?'" Box said." More features, lower pricing? Rock on! :rock on dude!: If nothing else, I hope this makes the $50 rebates Dell will be offering at the launch permanent.

Rirath
11-14-2002, 02:32 PM
Quite off topic...
but the 18th is also the shipping date of Metroid Prime and Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance. What a truly blessed day. :o

Merlion
11-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Ahh .. Nov 18, enough time for us to assess (from reviews & early adopters' reports ;)) which ones are good for us in time for Christmas. :)

don dre
11-14-2002, 03:17 PM
As happy as I am to see companies like Dell pushing the price of ppc's down to levels where all can have them, it is equally nice to see a company pushing the proverbial envelope on new features. With the new screen, built-in Wifi and BT it is a top pf the line entry. The real kicker is the fingerprint security. While I would wait to see how well it works, if it does work, it will make security much more painless (meaning I will use it.) My password function is off since I got tired of entering a p-word all the time. These are all good things for consumers. The more products, the more likely one will fit your needs. The beauty of capitalism is choice. Just ask a soviet how many cars they had to choose from.

jngold_me
11-14-2002, 03:31 PM
HP better investigate further this "more for less" strategy. The 1900 is a severe blow to those people who already own PPC's and wanted to "upgrade" to a lower-cost, better screen (not too mention lighter)device that runs on-par with our current devices.

I can understand non-ppc'ers (read Palm owners and newbies) looking at this device and saying..."Wow!". Nothing wrong with that and probably is good for the PPC market in general. However, with Dell and ViewSonic already offering "more for less" I am curious as to why HP "crippled" this device from the get-go. Perhaps not to eat into their new, higher cost 5400 series?

mookie123
11-14-2002, 05:30 PM
that Jornada (aka H1910) should be priced at $250, come with 300Mhz that can be underclock manually to 100mHz (the new Genio come with 400Mhz that can be manually underclocked to 100mHz)

memory should be a "real 64MB", with 32MB ROM.

otherwise this gadget can definitely compete with TUngsten for people who is looking for Tiny pocketable PDA with PIM ability.

Fishie
11-14-2002, 05:45 PM
Quite off topic...
but the 18th is also the shipping date of Metroid Prime and Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance. What a truly blessed day. :o

Urgh, Mortal Kombat, thats wrong man, thats so wrong.
Horrible game with almost no redeeming features whatsoever.
Want a GOOD fighting game go play VF4 or Soul Calibur.

Foo Fighter
11-14-2002, 06:07 PM
So far I'm somewhat unimpressed with these cheap PPCs. I realize no product can be perfect in this price range, but still....the Dell is too bulky, the Viewsonic is too...well, I don't know yet....and the HP is nice, but no upgradability..poor battery life. Yikes. This isn't the big strike I was hoping for. But still, wait and see.... :?

Ed Hansberry
11-14-2002, 06:24 PM
So far I'm somewhat unimpressed with these cheap PPCs. I realize no product can be perfect in this price range, but still....the Dell is too bulky, the Viewsonic is too...well, I don't know yet....and the HP is nice, but no upgradability..poor battery life. Yikes. This isn't the big strike I was hoping for. But still, wait and see.... :?

You just like complaining. The dell is big but has two slots. And is $199. You can't complain about hte V35 yet, but just want to add it to your mix. The HP has poor battery life? WHere did you see that battery test? Have a link?

Foo Fighter
11-14-2002, 06:48 PM
The HP has poor battery life? WHere did you see that battery test? Have a link?

PC Mag. Bruce Brown reviewed all three PPCs...Dell..Viewsonic...HP.

ppchunter
11-14-2002, 06:50 PM
anyone hear anyting about a new Toshiba PPC yet?? There's supposedly a successor to the e740 that should be coming out before Christmas (I hope).

None of these new ppc's do it for me. The e740 is the closest to what I want... now if the e740's successor has a better screen (transflective), no button issues (for games :2gunfire:), and they fix the slow speed problem (in games :snipersmile:) and they move the record button to a different place (people are complaining that it is easy to accedentally press it) ... then that'd be a perfect ppc for me!

Actually, if the new high-end iPaq had an integrated CF slot it would also be good for me.

enemy2k2
11-14-2002, 07:15 PM
The choices keep getting greater and greater. It's awesome to have all this variety to choose from. After a lot of thought into the matter I still think the Dell is the one for me. I like the fact that hp is including removeable battery even on their low end model. Those 5400 series look so lusty! Maybe in the next iteration with built in gsm/gprs and fingerprint I shall get one. It's nice to know that when that time comes there will be incredible variety to choose from, almost anyone will be able to find their perfect match. But for now, for me, that choice would be the Dell, for a year or two hopefully - I'm betting it's size will also pay off in sturdiness :D

Merlion
11-14-2002, 09:15 PM
anyone hear anyting about a new Toshiba PPC yet?? There's supposedly a successor to the e740 that should be coming out before Christmas (I hope).

None of these new ppc's do it for me. The e740 is the closest to what I want... now if the e740's successor has a better screen (transflective), no button issues (for games :2gunfire:), and they fix the slow speed problem (in games :snipersmile:) and they move the record button to a different place (people are complaining that it is easy to accedentally press it) ... then that'd be a perfect ppc for me!

Actually, if the new high-end iPaq had an integrated CF slot it would also be good for me.
I haven't heard anything about a new Toshiba. That's great news! :) Where have you heard it from?

Like you, the e740 is the closest to what I want (actually, just from its specs, who wouldn't want all those features in such a small package? :)) Its subpar make-quality, inferior screen, & short bty life killed it for me. I'd like a dual-slot PPC with built-in Wi-Fi. A CF-slot is absolutely essential for me.

If the new iPaq with built-in WiFi had an integrated CF-slot, I would've ordered it by now.

Dell said they'd produce devices with built-in Wi-Fi & BT, but that'll be later next year. :(

My current best bet is the iPaq 5450 with a CF sleeve which is too huge for my taste. I'll keep an eye out for the new Toshiba & other worthwhile alternatives.

nirav28
11-14-2002, 09:22 PM
IMHO - I think HP is literally shooting themselves in the foot with the release of a new Ipaq. Come on..at $500+??? No duel slots?? With expensive and clunky acessories?? When Dell is releasing a PPC for $300 that has a lot more "usable" offerings than the ipaq.

I have friends and family members who own various flavors of Palm. Neither of these people are Palm lovers. They drool over my Ipaqs extensive capabilites whenever I show something off. Whether its playing Mp3s with a 512mb cf card, Playing movies , using my Wi-Fi card etc. They want one. But they can't justify $500 for it. So they've settled on the palm. Now with the new viewsonic model and Dells new offering, I've gotten a lot of them interested. $200-$300 is a more acceptable price point. I think Dell is setting a new price marker here for a value added ppc products. So what if the dell is a bit bulkier. Most people I know don't even keep carry PDAs in their pockets.

I simply hate my Ipaq. I've invested over a $1000 in it so far in software and hardware accessories...Duel slot Dell , here I come...one slot being used for Memory, the other for wireless connectivity. To me a PDA is just not a PIM. Sure I like to use the Ipaq for remote control of A/V around the house, Checking my email. Listening to streaming music and watch movies on a long flight. But the bulky add-ons annoy me. I rather spend $300 on a PPC and use the $200 saving by buying a smartphone when they get release here in the U.S.

HP/Compaq..apart from enterprise users..I see your days are numbered. You don't have the sexiest handled toy on the market anymore. Move over!

BTW, does anyone know what the screen size of the Dell PPC is in comparsion with the Ipaq? One of the reasons I didn't buy a e770.

ppchunter
11-14-2002, 10:11 PM
......(snipped)
I haven't heard anything about a new Toshiba. That's great news! :) Where have you heard it from?
.....(snipped)

I read it here (in anothe thread) ... I believe somone named JonnoB went to MEC2002 a while ago and heard that Toshiba will be releasing a e750 or e760 around Christmas time. I can't wait for it... my Casio E125 is dying (constantly freezing and the only way to revive is it a hard-reset), so I hope they release it very soon!

ThomasC22
11-14-2002, 11:06 PM
I read it here (in anothe thread) ... I believe somone named JonnoB went to MEC2002 a while ago and heard that Toshiba will be releasing a e750 or e760 around Christmas time. I can't wait for it... my Casio E125 is dying (constantly freezing and the only way to revive is it a hard-reset), so I hope they release it very soon!

Well, that was the theory, but I wouldn't count on it at this point. For it to be out before the christmas season it would have had to pop up by now (the original rumour was that it would be out with the e330). I think something has gone wrong.

BTW - For anyone interested, my Dell Rep. has told me the Axim's will actually ship on the 25th

Jonathon Watkins
11-14-2002, 11:41 PM
If Tosh really do release another toy for us before Christmas it would be great! (That is to say greater than the choice we have at the moment. :wink:) Removable battery, dual slots, and a backlit screen are the minumum for me. I'll just have to see what happens in the January sales. :P

enemy2k2
11-15-2002, 01:32 AM
Removable battery, dual slots, and a backlit screen are the minumum for me. I'll just have to see what happens in the January sales. :P

You just described the Dell :!: Looks like you'll be joing me :wink: Apparently they'll be releasing it in Europe around the time frame you're looking at. Very (hopefully) early 2003.

Merlion
11-15-2002, 01:55 PM
So what if the dell is a bit bulkier. Most people ...

Why do people keep tirading that the Dell Axims are bulky? It's a dual-slot device that's just 5.0" x 3.2" x 0.7" compared to the naked iPaq's 5.3" x 3.3" x .62". It's smaller than the naked iPaq & barely (0.08") thicker; compared to a complete iPaq (+ sleeve), the Dell's tiny! And it still has a slightly higher-capacity bty (1440mAh) compared to the iPaq's (1400mAh). I mean the Axims are bulkier than sub-PPCs like the e330, H1910, V35, etc., but those are a different class of machines for a different type of users, & to keep complaining that the Axim's bulky when not complaining that the naked iPaq is huge isn't logical. The e740 is really tiny & thin for a dual-slot + integrated Wi-Fi device, but it compromised severely on its bty capacity(1000mAh). Even though its bty is user-replaceable, there is a minimal-bty-life ratio to bty-size that is most practical for most users &, IMHO, the e740 could do with a slightly larger capacity (~1400mAh) bty, especially for its Wi-Fi & dual-slot capabilities. One of the main complains about the e740 on WWW forums is its short bty life. Its optional 3000 mAh bty pack is gigantic & I don't think it's ideal for regular day to day use, but it's great if the occasion calls for it.

So, keeping in mind that the majority of PPC owners are using the iPaqs (me included), if one can live with the size of a naked iPaq & think it's not bulky, then the person should be even more happy with the smaller Axim's size with its integrated CF-slot without having to add any sleeves, & still packed a slightly higher-capacity, user-replaceable bty. If the person uses an iPaq+sleeve, then even more ...

BTW, this post isn't directed specifically at Nirav28; I'm just making use of Nirav's phrase as a launchpad for this post. I generally agree with Nirav's post. :)

enemy2k2
11-15-2002, 05:57 PM
I'm gettin' meself a Dell :D