View Full Version : Viewsonic V35

marlof
10-10-2002, 08:01 PM
<a href="http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pocket_pc_pocketpcv35.htm">http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pocket_pc_pocketpcv35.htm</a><br /><br />The first information on the Viewsonic V35 Pocket PC came from news sites, but now the V35 is listed on the Viewsonic website. You can find <a href="http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pocket_pc_pocketpcv35.htm#features">features</a>, <a href="http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pocket_pc_pocketpcv35.htm#specs">specs</a> and a detailed <a href="http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/pocketpc.pdf">spec sheet in .pdf format</a> on the site. A 300 MHz X-Scale processor, 64 MB of RAM and a transflective screen all in a thin and light package for an entry level price. What more would you want? The foldable keyboard they're going to offer according to the spec list of course.

msprague
10-10-2002, 08:32 PM
What is Pocket PC 2002 Premium Edition?

Dave Conger
10-10-2002, 08:34 PM
PPC 2002 "Premium Edition" - PPC2KPE
PPC 2002 Phone Edition - PPC2KPE

...couldn't they have just put Pocket PC 2002, cause that is what it is. I fear confusion with Phone Edition.

David McNamee
10-10-2002, 08:39 PM

IIRC, it's the version that has MSN Messenger and Terminal Server Client in the ROM.

Sslixtis
10-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Another SD slot only PPC :cry: Oh well, I guess that means I'm getting a Dell :wink:

Anyone know anything about availability on the B-Square PPC with slide out Keyboard? The Dell might be a tide me over til... PDA :lol:

Birdman
10-10-2002, 08:55 PM
This could be the one, but until someone comes out with an SD modem, I will still need the ability to use a CF modem, either through integrated dual slotes, or through some sort of sleeve or add-on sled.

(If there is an integrated SD slot for memory, then I wouldn't mind a bulkier add on for CF because normal every day usage would allow for the slim form factor and needed memory, but the bulkier form factor, which I would need when using a CF modem would only be necessary when I am in a fixed location, like a hotel room meeting room with a landline.)

Foo Fighter
10-10-2002, 09:00 PM
My biggest concern is with the audio quality. Josh Taylor's mini review at Anchordesk seemed to imply that MP3 audio quality is very poor. :cry:

msprague
10-10-2002, 09:03 PM

IIRC, it's the version that has MSN Messenger and Terminal Server Client in the ROM.
As far as I can tell from a Google on this, all of us with PPC2K devices that are not Phone Edition have Premium Edition. Maybe someone can prove me wrong on this? :roll:

Dave Conger
10-10-2002, 09:14 PM
As far as I can tell from a Google on this, all of us with PPC2K devices that are not Phone Edition have Premium Edition. Maybe someone can prove me wrong on this? :roll:

You are right. Sometimes it is also refered to as Professional Edition. The upgraded iPAQ's don't really run the "Premium Edition" though because they don't have all the extras in ROM. There is really only one version of Pocket PC 2002 (and then also Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition), Premium Edition was just added to make it sound new and improved.

heov
10-10-2002, 09:28 PM
No, they didn't change the name, it has always been called Premium Edition ever since iPaq ROM upgrades came out...

PPC 2k2 Professional Edition (same as iPaq upgrade) doesn't have Media player, Terminal Service, MS Reader, and something else I can't think of right now in rom.

PPC 2k2 Prememum Edition (normal devices) has all the software included in rom.

PPC 2k2 Phone Edition is PPC 2k2 premium plus the phone modification additions...

serpico
10-10-2002, 09:34 PM
So confusing.
Perhaps this is why new users are so troubled when purchasing a new model. I'm really lost being someone who uses a Palm and reading posts and reviews. There seems to be so many versions but really only one. :lol:

LarDude
10-11-2002, 01:39 AM
This could be the one, but until someone comes out with an SD modem, I will still need the ability to use a CF modem, either through integrated dual slotes, or through some sort of sleeve or add-on sled.

(If there is an integrated SD slot for memory, then I wouldn't mind a bulkier add on for CF because normal every day usage would allow for the slim form factor and needed memory, but the bulkier form factor, which I would need when using a CF modem would only be necessary when I am in a fixed location, like a hotel room meeting room with a landline.)

Have you considered an IR modem? An extra piece to carry (about the size of a mouse), but it frees up or gets around the need for an additional CF slot.

Sven Johannsen
10-11-2002, 02:27 AM
Noticed the have a "3.5" full-color transflective display". Guess stating # of colors gives the marketing guys shivers :)

Also notice, "Pocket Outlook® provides full support for POP3 or IMAP4 e-mail including HTML messages." HMM, haven't seen any HTML, rendered at least, on my Jornada. :?:

They also mention "You’ll get Pocket PC versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint,", while the pdf spec shows the Powerpoint support is through ClearVue™ Presentation. That's just a viewer isn't it? And it is on the CD. Good addition, but not Pocket Powerpoint.

Looks like a good unit at a great price though.

technohawk
10-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Looks like a great unit but I need compact flash or pcmcia support in order to work with the application that my company produces.

heov
10-11-2002, 06:34 PM
can anoyone confirm this as being transflective? I mean, actually looking at the screen in PERSON? I really like this dell, but I would hate for it to have a reflective screen and have the same issue the loox went through...

Jonathon Watkins
10-12-2002, 01:50 AM
can anoyone confirm this as being transflective? I mean, actually looking at the screen in PERSON? I really like this dell, but I would hate for it to have a reflective screen and have the same issue the loox went through...

Heck - I raised this point in another thread but got shouted down about it. :? Backit transflective, or reflective transflective? That is the question.