View Full Version : AIM Problems using Inbox...I don't think so!

Isaac
09-28-2002, 07:07 AM
This is for AIM thru SMS

OK , I figured out the AIM, can't log in issue when using Pocket Outlook Inbox. Are you ready for this resolution...:D :p :p :p

And to think I was going to call TMo customer care, I can only imagine where this could have gone. K, here goes... From AIM on your desktop, log in, then go to Options and change your password, actually leave it the same but add two, thats 2 folks, spaces after the password. So when signing in using inbox you need to format it this way:

Username<sp>Password, because what it sends is
Username<sp>Password<sp><sp>

so if you added two spaces behind your password in AIM you can now log in using SMS and Pocket Outlook inbox.

Make sense...? I hope so. ??'s let me know.

mccollin
09-28-2002, 10:51 PM
Isaac,
I didn't have any luck trying the method you described. Are you able to send the message to 5656(IMGO) from InBasket. I can not. It tells me that I can't send email from the Inbasket, only SMS (I have SMS selected). If I send it to 5656 alone, it let's me do it, but I don't show up as being logged on to AIM. If I startup the SMS Phonebook and send it from there (I now have this disabled by default... took battery monitor out of the startup), then it let's me send to 5656(IMGO), but it replies that I have an invalid ID. My ID now has a password with two blanks after it. If I dial into my ISP and startup the AIM software on my PPCPE, then I can log in... then I'm seen as logged in.

What I want to do is the first one on the list... sign in from InBasket without the battery monitor running.

Isaac
09-29-2002, 01:32 AM
Its 4646 not 5656...

mccollin
09-29-2002, 02:18 PM
Isaac,
Right, that's what I meant to type. You can take my whole prior reply and insert 4646 which is what I was using on the PDA. So, any ideas? What are you using, 4646 or 4646(IMGO) from InBox?

Isaac
09-29-2002, 03:01 PM
Just 4646, the IMGO are just the corresponding letters from the telephone keypad. I have been logging in with no issues from inbox for a couple of days now. The only thing worrying me now is going over my 500 messages...

mccollin
09-30-2002, 03:57 AM
Isaac,

OK... I'm obviously not getting it.

I have tried by InBox and SMS to login and I just don't show up. I have battery monitor removed from Startup. Are you doing that as well. If not, perhaps that's the problem... don't know.

I can logon to the ID at both aol.com and through the AIM software on the PocketPC. The password has two blanks at the end of it.

I type a new message in the Inbox with the following:

To: 4646
Subject: <> (i leave this unfilled)
Body:
userid password (that is it... no carriage return... no blanks... I'm typing the password minus the two blanks)

I get not SMS reply and I show up to another AOL ID as not being signed on.

I don't know how to send an IM message once I'm logged on, so I'm not trying to test that yet. I simply wanted to be able to receive on at this point.

Any ideas? I'm about ready to send you my ID and Password and let you try it. I created a new AIM ID just to try to get this working with.

Thanks.

By the way, have you reached the point yet where they'd have to pry the T-Mobile out of your cold dead hands before you'd give it up? I was there after one day.... and that is with virtually no use of data yet... just the phone and the PPC in one did it for me.

Isaac
09-30-2002, 06:13 AM
:P I have come to a conclusion:After much research, much much research, my conclusion is that you are suffering from user error.... :P

Serioiusly, I don't know whats going on, vilamon from the PPCPassion thread was able to log in using the Inbox. What your doing sounds right. You should be getting an SMS back telling you either you are logged in or not. Give me a day or so and Ill throw together some screenshots, maybe a little how to. I love being logged in using SMS as I waste no minutes or KBs and I can be on all day.

As far as loving this thing, its everthing I dreamed of about 15 minutes after getting my iPaq 2 plus years ago. They wont be able to pry it from my cold dead hands, cause Im taking it with me to the afterlife, hey maybe heaven has REAL 3G, or maybe something like 10G using IPv6!!

Hey, I just thought of something, how is SMS working to other phones?? Not AIM, just to a phone number.

mccollin
09-30-2002, 12:50 PM
Isaac,
I don't know how SMS is working to other phones because I don't know anyone else that has T-Mobile. Most everyone I know is on Verizon and I don't think you can send from one to the other. I've got to get a new phone for my wife and Amazon has the V.60 Motorola on sale for $0 after rebate.. it's like a $300 phone otherwise. I think I'll go by the T-Mobile store today and look at them, and while I'm there I'll try the SMS thing with the guys that are there. Perhaps they can give me some tips on the SMS from InBasket, although I doubt they know much about that.

By the way, you didn't tell me if you have killed Battery Monitor (so you have no SMS icons or phone book at the bottom of the Today page). I'm wondering if that is what is messing it up.

Isaac
09-30-2002, 05:51 PM
mccollin,

I did not kill the T-Mobile apps since I have not had any issues with that. I was asking about the SMS since it sounds like SMS is not working correctly on your phone. Ill PM you my phone number, send me a test message.

mccollin
10-01-2002, 05:19 AM
I was being an idiot. I was hitting OK instead of Send. I never even noticed the Send button... thought it was just a graphic. It's not intuitive to put the "next" function on the upper left of the screen. Good UI practice is to put the "next" function to the right and down. Thanks for the help.