View Full Version : iPAQ ROM 1.20 for non-bluetooth models on the web site

Ed Hansberry
08-01-2002, 03:10 AM
<a href="http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handhelds/us/locate/71_2594.html">http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handhelds/us/locate/71_2594.html</a><br /><br />A few <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2492">days ago we told you</a> the ROM was available via the FTP site. It is now on the web site. The file is binarily (if that isn't a word, it should be) identical to the one we mentioned a few days ago, right down to the README.DOC that still has ROM 2.14 listed, so if you have already done the upgrade, your done.<br /><br />There are a few more goodies on that page you should download. After installing the ROM, you may want to install EUU2. The ROM has EUU1 included. Regardless of whether you install EUU2 or not, get the updated WAV files in the "Software Solutions" section of the page. It will fix those entertaining scratching noises at the end of your alarms.<br /><br />Finally, <b><i>FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!</i></b> It is a pretty convoluted process and may involve sprained fingers about midway through the process as you try to push three buttons simultaneously while performing a soft reset, but it is a process designed to cut down on paperweights. Thanks to Robert Rosen for letting us know the web site had the ROM listed.

Sanjay Srikonda
08-01-2002, 03:27 AM
I downloaded it and installed it from the first post you guys had put out. I've since downloaded and compared this "official" release. They're the same release.

My Ipaq 3850 is faster. However, the backlight issue still remains. I have to oftentimes do a soft restart before the backlight comes to full power and stays at full power.

As for the other enhancements. Who did they use to verify that cleartype is "fixed"? Did they use a roomful of blind monkeys? What is "fixed" about it? It's still fuzzy. *shrug* Can't verify the SD card issue, I don't use them.

The unit is noticeably faster. Unfortunately, the one BIG issue I was hoping would be fixed is still broken. Backlight comes on dimmed and stays dimmed until I do a soft reset.

Next unit is definitely NOT going to be an Compaq.

Waiting for tablet PCs, maybe a LOOX.

rkrosen
08-01-2002, 03:37 AM
I installed yesterday (before the official release) with no problems, although I agree about the sprained fingers (who came up with that button pushing scheme, anyway?). So far, my 3835 seems faster and no backlight problems, but it's too early to tell really -- my backlight problems always seemed to be most severe when I turned the unit on in a very dark room.

On the updated WAV files... do we really have to use RAM for all those?? They left them out of the ROM update? Seems an odd oversight...

Ed Hansberry
08-01-2002, 03:49 AM
On the updated WAV files... do we really have to use RAM for all those?? They left them out of the ROM update? Seems an odd oversight...
They are in EUU2, but for some reason, they fail to install properly in 3800s. 8O

I just used the 4-5 I normally use, not the whole 300Ks worth.

Trevor_NYC
08-01-2002, 04:13 AM
sanjsrik said:
My Ipaq 3850 is faster. However, the backlight issue still remains. I have to oftentimes do a soft restart before the backlight comes to full power and stays at full power.

I think the backlight thing is still strictly a hardware fix. I had mine repaired last month and they replaced the 'inverter' (I think). The backlight has worked perfectly since then. And now since I've done the ROM update I'm finally satisfied with my purchase of the 3835. I haven't had to do a soft reboot and I can finally play mp3's from my SD card.

stevew
08-01-2002, 04:15 AM
This ROM update is going to wipe everything out of system RAM?

IMPORTANT: This update utility is designed to replace the current ROM image and erase the partnership and all user data and programs on your iPAQ Pocket PC.

Ed Hansberry
08-01-2002, 04:17 AM
It redoes the iPAQ File Store too, so don't have anything in there you want to keep during this update.

stevew
08-01-2002, 04:24 AM
So if my backup restore doesnt work after I update the ROM I'm screwed right? I think I'll leave well enough alone. I have to much important business info on this PPC.

Ed Hansberry
08-01-2002, 04:30 AM
So if my backup restore doesnt work after I update the ROM I'm screwed right? I think I'll leave well enough alone. I have to much important business info on this PPC.
Not if. It won't. You cannot restore a ROM 1.15 image on a 1.20 device. You sync your device, remove your storage card, do the deed, create a new parnership and resync. Nothing lost. Now reinstall your apps. This can be very time consuming if you tweak them all like I do. Min 4 hrs for me on a hard reset.

Marc Zimmermann
08-01-2002, 07:30 AM
I think the backlight thing is still strictly a hardware fix.

Apparently not completely. My H3875's serial number is "not affected" when I do the serial number check at Compaq's site. Backlight was working perfectly from day one. However, when I installed ROM 2.20, it started to fail about 50% of times. I've reinstalled ROM 2.15 after a week and backlight is reliable again. There must be some software factor in this.

Take1
08-01-2002, 07:55 AM
Haven't had the backlight problem after installing the ROM, but then again it's only been 24 hours... The ClearType fix really did work, it's much better now. Still have the SD freeze issue (erratic) which is annoying.

Gerard
08-01-2002, 08:47 AM
I know, I complained on the other thread... but it seems there is a growing list of people (especially noted on Brighthand and PocketPCPassion) with identical failures to even get started updating the ROM from this. And then there was Tekguru's identical failure, last month, using the first release of this update for the 'other' iPAQs. Basically it seems the device ID on some of ours is a set of these: 'ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ' It should instead be 'iPAQ 3800'. Editing the new image in a hex editor fails to match it to this faulty ID.
For my part, I'm getting a 3870 sent from the folks who sent me this 3835 to replace it. They need my testing services... But I'd still very much like to figure this out anyway. Stubborn problems get me busy to fix them, and I hate to give up. Anyone got a further clue, a link, something? Compaq seems ignorant, in spite of my complaints and ll the others getting this error set.

tewmgd
08-01-2002, 11:11 AM
hi,

Where can i find a good website which explain the process to change the default language of a 38XX ipaq ? And if someone has seen the french version of this ROM on the ftp server ...

thanks a lot !

Matthieu

tccox
08-01-2002, 12:30 PM
Please note that a fix for the scratching noise at end of wav files was also posted at the Compaq site today. Simply replaces the exsisting wav files.

and, after sending my unit in for hardware backlight fix (it's worked perfectly ever since) and installing latest upgrades and fixes, I have not one single complaint with my IPAQ. Oh, and I personally thought the Cleartype fix was a BIG improvement over what we had before.

Ed Hansberry
08-01-2002, 12:30 PM
Apparently not completely. My H3875's serial number is "not affected" when I do the serial number check at Compaq's site. Backlight was working perfectly from day one. However, when I installed ROM 2.20, it started to fail about 50% of times. I've reinstalled ROM 2.15 after a week and backlight is reliable again. There must be some software factor in this.
Sigh... I am starting to see this too... :(

RavenSBNC
08-01-2002, 01:13 PM
Well yesterday I attempted to install the update on my 3850. I thought I did everything exactly as it said, but at the end my 3850 was dead, would not load past the iPAQ boot screen on soft reset no matter what I did. It would not even turn off.

But that turned out to be a great thing! I took it to BestBuy to trade in under my 3 year replacement warrenty. I expected to just get another. But instead they let me trade it in for a 3950, all I had to pay was the $80 price difference. So for only $80 I got a 3950 and I love it, it is a hundred times better then the 3850 was.

Rolf Olsen
08-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Oh, and I personally thought the Cleartype fix was a BIG improvement over what we had before.

Has anybody tried to "migrate" the cleartype fix to a 3600 series iPAQ, upgraded to PPC2002?

I know getting the complete ROM upgrade for the "stoneage like 3600 series devices" would be to much to ask for, but looking at the fix/enchancement list of the ROM upgrade the cleartype solution is the only one I am really interested in for my iPAQ (most of the rest seems to be 3800 series specific), so that doesn't really matter.

And since cleartype was much better with the PPC2000 OS, it MUST be possible to fix it.

heliod
08-01-2002, 02:58 PM
Ed,

I just found the reason you were looking for to adopt Bluetooth: your ROM updates arrive one month earlier !!! :lol:

gwinter
08-01-2002, 08:01 PM
But I'd still very much like to figure this out anyway. Stubborn problems get me busy to fix them, and I hate to give up. Anyone got a further clue, a link, something? Compaq seems ignorant, in spite of my complaints and ll the others getting this error set.

Gerard, I thought you had read my post here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2492&start=15). But I'd quote it here again:

There are ways to get around this so that you can flash the rom. However, the rom upgrade will not disturb/restore the portion where the asset data is stored (remember that the data is unique for every device). Thus, that asset data portion will remain corrupt.

This does not affect the operation of the device. The problem arises when you use program which, in order to get registered, requires you to have a valid device serial number. I suggest having HP/Compaq to fix it.

So, in order to fix this you need the asset data, and know where to flash this data to. I took a quick look some time ago, the asset data is not in plain text.

Gerard
08-01-2002, 08:17 PM
gwinter; I did read your post on this, thanks. However, your information lacks substance. I mean, what does it mean when you say "There are ways to get around this so that you can flash the rom."? Ways? What ways? I am aware that there exists some kind of flashing software for developers, I have been told as much. I was also told that this software is in developer's possession for strict purposes of in-house testing, and cannot be legally shared with end-users. Is the the 'way' to which you refer? Other than that, your posts on this subject do a lot to imply things but do not spell out a single bit of method! I'm only complaining because you seem to be offended that I 'ignored' you. I did not. I simply did not respond, because I could see no use for what you said in practical terms. When posting helpful responses in forums I try very hard to be complete in all the details, elsewise people are left wondering just what the heck is going on. I've been there, at the receiving end of incomplete advice, and it's sometimes more dangerous than no advice at all.
But please, do elucidate on this secret method. I'm all ears!

gwinter
08-02-2002, 09:59 PM
I'm only complaining because you seem to be offended that I 'ignored' you. I did not. I simply did not respond, because I could see no use for what you said in practical terms. When posting helpful responses in forums I try very hard to be complete in all the details, elsewise people are left wondering just what the heck is going on. I've been there, at the receiving end of incomplete advice, and it's sometimes more dangerous than no advice at all.
But please, do elucidate on this secret method. I'm all ears!

Ah.. I thought you were trying to figure out what is causing the problem, but had forgot to check back at the threads here! :oops:

What I'm trying to get to is that you can either:
1) Look for a way to flash the rom.
2) Look for a way to fix the asset data.

You have to understand the first option is more like a short-term fix, before you run up against the serial number problem with some third party programs that I mention in the other thread.

Now for the first option, there is the development tool that you mention, or it is also possible to reflash the rom with the help of the bootloader developed by CRL, which is actually the tool to start loading linux onto an iPAQ. There is a risk, however, that using that tool may "brick" the device if you are not sure what you are doing. "Brick" here means the device is totally dead and can only be repaired by physically changing the flashROM or reprogramming via the JTAG port. The development tool that you mention is safer because it does not affect the bootloader portion, and therefore will never result in an unusable device. (Incidentally, rom update programs from HP/Compaq also does not affect the bootloader.)

The second option is the "correct" fix. Using the CRL bootloader, you can flash the asset data file to the device. Unfortunately I do not know the details, i.e. the address where the asset data starts and the content of the asset data file.

For more information about CRL bootloader, go to the handhelds.org (http://www.handhelds.org). Be very careful when tinkering with bootloader.

sullivanpt
08-02-2002, 10:36 PM
I know many people will be holding off upgrading to the 1.20 ROM so I will throw in a little encouragement.

I did the upgrade yesterday. It took a full 6 hours to complete: manually copying off my data files, ensuring Outlook was synced on both desktop systems, writing what programs I had installed down on old fashioned paper, performing the ROM upgrade (complete with octopussian reset maneuver!), reinstalling the EUU2 update, reinstalling my applications (many of which require reactivation or setup, like MS Reader, AvantGo, Mazingo, PocketTV, Pocket Outlook, ...) copying my data back, resetting my preferences like the owner name and transcriber letter files, resyncing with outlook on two computers (overwrite handheld for 1st and combine for 2nd).

End result? I can play WMA files from the 256MB SanDisk SD card without a skip or a pause! woo hoo! Well worth it. And yes, it is noticeably snappier when switching between applications. (Aside, my phantom syncing problem I reported earlier seems to have disappeared as well -- I suspect the hard reset during the upgrade had something to do with curing this).

Of course bugs remain: Media Player still tries to play the copyright information at the end of WMA files (cracks and pops) and if Media Player is in the background when a reminder turns on the PPC you'll be looking for a charger.

A new bug the battery meter page often doesn't show the percentage used bar and three times the device has spontaneously turned off (no data lost) while trying to view the battery settings.

But all in all, between the backlight fix and this upgrade, I find myself finally satisfied with the performance of my 3835 iPaq. A color screen, phenomenal battery life (I rarely use the backlight), excellent PDA functions, great entertainment capabilities. What more could I want?!

(Okay, yes, I do admit I'm lusting over that XDA device :wink: ).

Ed Hansberry
08-02-2002, 10:39 PM
the device has spontaneously turned off (no data lost) while trying to view the battery settings.
ditto!

I have had that happen 3 times in the past 3 weeks. Very strange. I think it was EUU2 that caused it because I put 2.20 on my 3870 about a week before EUU2 shipped and never noticed it.

Gerard
08-02-2002, 10:56 PM
gwinter; oh. eek. scary. maybe i don't really want to know THAT badly.... All that DOS and BIN stuff, it's just WAY over the head of a newbie like me. I'm strictly a Pocket PC computer user, or almost. I only do battle with my PC rarely, when the kid freezes it up in a game or something. Used to try to make the Lucent Softmodem AMR work reliably, but gave up, and use reboots for that now. I'll leave the Linuxy stuff for the penguins. I do thank you for further explaining it though. I'll copy out a bunch of this and maybe look at it again when I feel brave enough.

sullivanpt
08-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Now I have to eat my words. I once again wish I had never purchased the iPaq 3835. (Maybe I should have taken Jason's lead and bought a Jornada :wink: ).

Here's the summary, not only did the mail in repair + octopus enabled ROM upgrades not solve many problems, it added a new one!

On the "yes it's fixed now" side, I can confidently say clear-type is better."

BUT the backlight STILL fails to illuminate! Plus since I sent it in it now spontaneously tries to synchronize while not in the cradle.

AND audio playback on the SD card still skips and stops, WORSE yet, files become corrupted during playback.

AND while I'm ranting, when is someone going to fix Media Player's annoying habit of keeping the unit from powering off when playback is stopped. It's always a shock to attempt to look-up an address and find the battery drained because you were playing a WMA file 5 hours ago.

AND NOW the unit frequently fails to show the battery status. Funny, this is one of the things the update supposedly fixed, but it worked fine before!

AND NOW the unit spontaneously turns off a few times per day!

Once again, I find myself feeling burned by Compaq (the previous burn was a Presario; support? "That machine gun noise from your speakers? No we've never heard a similar complaint. No never heard of these other customers' complaints either. It must be your imagination." :( ). Promise me you'll slap me if I ever threaten to buy another compaq product again. Promise!

IPAQ_3845_POWER
01-03-2003, 04:47 AM
I hate the new ROM update. :evil: MY 3845 was working perfectly fine with out any problems that I couldn't live with. The only major problem I had was that it would hang some times and that was because I was low on actual memory. 8)

I performed the 1.2 Rom update and followed the instrudtions to the letter, but what I noticed after I recharged my ipaq scared me to death!!

First, after completing my rom update late at night and allowing it to charge over night, I awoke to a battery that never charged. What I found out was that while the power is off on the ipaq with the new 1.2 rom, the battery isn't charging at all. WOW !!

Second, while leaving the power off and charging the battery for long periods of time, or so I thought it was charging, when I went to turn it back on with the power button, the power would never come back on. I would press the button and nothing would happen at all.

Third, If I perform a soft reset, mainly to release the stored up memory held hostage by applications once used. I got a blank white screen for about 10 seconds and then information on my today's screen didn't display properly. I have to tap the screen once for all off my icons on my launcher to fall back in place and my inbox, task, calander, and owners information are all seperated on the screen instead of listed one underneath each other.

I reverted back to the ROM 1.15, which now since I had the 1.2 installed, gives me the same problems. I didn't have the problems before the ROM 1.2 update but Now I am stuck with them. :(

Ed Hansberry
01-03-2003, 05:14 AM
Call Compaq. I had a 3870 and it exhibited none of those problems. You have a hardware issue that either the ROM update brought to light or just happend to start at the same time.