View Full Version : Keyboard for the e310/e740?

Zero101
07-31-2002, 09:22 PM
Just curious if anyone has come out with a keyboard that is compatible with the new Toshiba pocket pc's. I can't believe Stowaway hasn't made one for them yet... it would seem like the best portable solution on the market ;)

Loki Gelfling
08-05-2002, 12:27 AM
Just dropped by a CompUSA today, and they had a VIK USB keyboard made by Grandtec (http://www.grandtec.com/vik.htm). I didn't have my USB expansion module with me, but the guys behind the counter opened one for me (That's the best service I have ever had in CompUSA!!!!! 8O ). I tried a VIK FLX-500 and the VIK FLX-2000. The 500 is a compact keyboard, missing the HOME, PG UP, PG DOWN, INSERT, and a numeric keypad. I settled on the FLX-2000, eventhough it is a full size keyboard, rolled up, it isn't much bigger than the 500, and is the same price $39.99. The HOME key does work in Excel, and wonders-upon-wonders, the Windows key pulls down the start menu!!!. I'll let you know more when I get back to my expansion bay.

cooldw57
10-16-2003, 10:33 PM
G700 all the WAY!!~~

cooldw57
10-16-2003, 10:35 PM
The keyboard you mentioned doesnt include a stand though, in fact, any standard USB Keyboard for Deskop PC should work with Toshiba PDAs if you have the Expansion Pack. So for 39.99 for a standard USB keyboard and with NO stand it might not be the best deal out there. G700 by far is a better keyboard for Toshiba. You can charge your PDA battery at the same time as you type on it, how cool is that

XLP
10-17-2003, 07:59 AM
I just got my self a Pocket-top wireless infra-red keyboard. The stand and the actual keyboards folds and clips into one. When they're combined they're roughly the same size as a medium size Pocket PC so it's just like you're caring 2 PDAs :). It's a universal keyboard so if by any chance you decided to change your PDA, the keyboard still be useful to you. the downside is, because the e740's IR port is on its side, some times it doesn't pick up the characters that you type. It's compatible with both Palm and Pocket PC and plus it comes with a free screen rotation utility :)

It's working exceptionally well on my e740 even though I think its designed primarily for Palm's m500 series (it comes with a free aluminium stylus and special horizontal stands [both only works for the m500 series])

But anyway I could do with those downsides and I'm really enjoying it as my original corded keyboard replacement... :D

cooldw57
10-28-2003, 02:14 PM
How did you get it for 39 dollars? The Pocket Top website:
http://www.pocketop.net/
Sells it for 79 bucks!!! where did you get the deal from?

I heard lots of bad things from another infrared driven keyboard - Targus Wireless IR Keyboard (PA870E) Keyboard, it has some sort of lags. Not sure if this is caused by the relatively low speed of IRDA, let us know your experience with the Pocket Top one :D

annexw
10-29-2003, 04:45 PM
I'm using a pocketop IR keyboard with my e740 and as long as the battery in the keyboard (a single AAA) is reasonably fresh, I don't notice any major lag between typing and it appearing on the screen.

If I type to fast though, I do get an occasional minor (2-3 sec) lag when the e740 is catching up to my typing, but generally the IR keyboards are great. The one I'm currently using I used with my Handspring Visor and when I changed platforms I didn't have to worry about buying a new keyboard.

I found that you do have to play around a bit to get the IR ports at the best angle to receive each other, but the stand that comes with the Pocketop holds my e740 just fine and feels stable. The IR port on my PPC is on the side, so if you place the PPC just to the left of the center of the keyboard, I find the reception is great.

I haven't used the Targus keyboard, but I was thinking of trying it out since the Pocketop doesn't have full-sized keys and the punctuation maping is a bit wonky. But the shape of the Pocketop keys make it feel like a good sized keyboard (and I have giant guitar playing hands so small keys and me do not mix) and the layout doesn't take long to get used to.

To sum up? I would highly recommend the Pocketop to anyone and I haven't noticed any lag using it that would make me curse it out. :)

Thinkingmandavid
11-01-2003, 02:56 AM
I have an e355 and was thinking about buying a belkin wireless keyboard. any thoughts on that ???????