View Full Version : Bluetooth 2.0 spec and Hardware

Steven Cedrone
07-13-2002, 06:47 PM
Question for you Bluetooth gurus:

The 2.0 version of Bluetooth, will that be a software only upgrade or will this require new hardware as well? If I buy a Bluetooth enabled device now, will there be backwards compatability for my device with new devices released later this year?

There can't be all that many early adapters for Bluetooth (Barring the people here of course :wink: ), would the SIG just cut and run on the older devices instead of even trying to offer backwards compatability?

What do you think??????

Steve

Jason Dunn
07-13-2002, 06:59 PM
I can almost guarantee that in order to go from 768 kbps to 10 mbps you'd need a new Bluetooth chip. I doubt you'll see any 2.0 devices for 24+ months - hell, the 1.0 devices haven't arrived in force yet. :D

Steven Cedrone
07-13-2002, 07:20 PM
I can almost guarantee that in order to go from 768 kbps to 10 mbps you'd need a new Bluetooth chip. I doubt you'll see any 2.0 devices for 24+ months - hell, the 1.0 devices haven't arrived in force yet. :D

I just thought they would skip working on 1.X devices and start to concentrate on 2.0, I'd be willing to bet they will be here well before 24 months. If they aren't, Bluetooth will be dead.....

IMHO, of course......

Steven Cedrone
07-14-2002, 07:44 AM
Follow up....

Is it just me? If you go to HP's site and do a search on "Ipaq" and "Pocket PC", none of the links to compaq work......

Is the new Ipaq with built in Bluetooth Version 1.1? The reason I ask, I had a Socket Bluetooth CF card (http://www.socketcom.com/support/upgrade_bluetooth.htm) that had to be exchanged/upgraded for a newer card that was 1.1 compatible. I would hate to buy an Ipaq and find out it was Bluetooth version 1.0 and that I had to send it back right away for a upgrade (If Jason is right about the 24 months and the Ipaq is 1.1 compatible, then the device could fade into obsolescence before Bluetooth 2.0 is available. Hence, no need to send it back....)

Did I just use hence in a sentance....No more posting for me tonight!!!!!

Just trying to get my facts straight......

Steve

80211dude
07-17-2002, 12:23 PM

Am not surprised that cedrones is confused "Is the new Ipaq with built in Bluetooth Version 1.1? " he asks. The SIMPLE answer is YES.

Jason you say: "...the 1.0 devices haven't arrived in force yet." knowing that all the new Bluetooth products coming out are based on the 1.1 version (since february 2001)???????

There are 674 BLUETOOTH PRODUCTS/COMPONENTS OUT TODAY (+/- AROUND 470 ARE BASED ON VERSION 1.1, YOU CAN CHECK PRODUCT 'DETAILS' ON THE RIGHT CONCERNING WHICH VERSION.....)
http://qualweb.opengroup.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts

As far as i know: BT 2.0 (now called BT high rate @ 10Mbps) will be published toward the middle of 2003 as a .9 spec (able to be designed to as a non-prototype). The BT 1.2 spec. (BT enhancements) will likely include AFH, a quicker handshake process, improved QoS, etc. The other red herring is the BT med rate @ 2-4 Mbps (the cost for 2-4 mbps is power and die size.) will also come out toward the middle of 2003.

ALL THESE WILL BE 100% BACKWARD COMPATIBLE TO THE CORE 1.1 SPEC.

“There is no Bluetooth 2 yet designated,” a Bluetooth SIG spokesperson told Unstrung. “Refinements to the 1.1 specification are being discussed, but all future revs of the specification will be backward compatible with 1.1. It is a very stable specification, and we are encouraging all development to move ahead on this platform.”
http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?site=unstrung&doc_id=13861

Steven Cedrone
07-20-2002, 07:39 PM
There are 674 BLUETOOTH PRODUCTS/COMPONENTS OUT TODAY (+/- AROUND 470 ARE BASED ON VERSION 1.1, YOU CAN CHECK PRODUCT 'DETAILS' ON THE RIGHT CONCERNING WHICH VERSION.....)
http://qualweb.opengroup.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts

80211dude,

Thanks for the link, it has alot of the information I was looking for!!!!

Steve