View Full Version : iPAQ ROM upgrade moved to July

Ed Hansberry
06-19-2002, 03:38 PM
One of our readers contacted the <a href="https://web14.compaq.com/pcn/login.asp?ru=/pcn/index.asp&">PCN Team</a> at Compaq/HP to inquire about the June 15 date for the new 1.2/2.2 ROM's. It has been pushed back to sometime in July, presumably for testing. I am anxious for the update just like everyone else, but I would honestly rather wait an extra 30 days than go through a round of iPAQ paperweight posts in the newsgroups.

Fattizzi
06-19-2002, 03:43 PM
I would rather wait as well. Some people just dont understand that the idea of testing is to work out the kinks. If a kink is found, they need to fix it which might delay the release. If they didnt fully test things, people would complain about that too. There is a lot of code to test and it takes time. Probably just as much time to develop the application/fix as it does for testing. So, lets be patient and hope they get it right.

peterawest
06-19-2002, 04:08 PM
So, just so I'm clear on this... The new ROM is only being prepared for the 3800 series. Is that correct?

If so, is there any word on any similar update (minus the bluetooth stuff) for the 3600 & 3700 series?

renz
06-19-2002, 04:18 PM
Hi, I just talked to Compaq Germany because of the 3850 / backlight issue with my iPAQ. They said that they are not repairing units, but waiting for the 1.2 / 2.2 ROM update which would definately fix the backlight problem. They said it would be another two weeks before it comes out. Let´s hope it all turns out like they said ... :wink:

Ed Hansberry
06-19-2002, 05:02 PM
So, just so I'm clear on this... The new ROM is only being prepared for the 3800 series. Is that correct?

If so, is there any word on any similar update (minus the bluetooth stuff) for the 3600 &amp; 3700 series?
The 2.2 update is for the 36/3700. The 1.2 is for the 3800. Looks like they are working on them at the same time.

On the backlight thing, I just got my 3800 back today (sent in last THURSDAY!) with the inverter replaced. We'll see if that fixes it or not. According to the Customer Advisory (http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=2183|iPAQ+H3800+Series+Pocket+PC&source=MH020124_CW02.xml&dt=3) you should still send it in. Not sure why HP Germany is being different.

Grey
06-19-2002, 05:20 PM
This is just more of Compaq Lies! Lies that are used to increase sales! Lies to get money is FRAUD! It is widely reported that Compaq is releasing the 39xx in June. Does the 3900 have all of the problems of the 3800? If they can get this working in the 3900 why can't they get it working in the 3800? If they can't get it working in the 3800, what makes you think it will work any better in the 3900? Will you pay Compaq $700 or $800 to be their next BETA Tester?

This was posted by John of Compaq on 4/12/2002 "I am running the test ROM on my device and have not had to reset my device to get bluetooth to run so I'm very pleased with our progress. There are about ten other bug issues that we are addressing in this same ROM upgrade on top of this issue. Our timing to release this is based on which language you have (I'm assuming you have English) and how many issues our QA team finds while testing these ROMs. You should see an English ROM in the May timeframe. "

So from this we get a list of eleven bugs being address. The BlueTooth and about ten other bugs. This was on the Compaq PCN today;

Details of change:
Enhancements and Fixes:
ClearType Enhancements: When using MS Reader and setting it for ClearType Fonts, text appearance may be very hard to read.
Virtual Memory Improvement: Operating System may be sluggish when multiple applications are open.
SD Format Resolution: SD Cards formatted with FAT12 may not be recognized.
Reminder LED Resolution: LED will not flash more than 5 minutes.
Screen Calibration Diagnostics Test: Self Calibration test may display a ‘failed’ message because the test parameters were too sensitive.
Cradle/Battery Gauge Resolution: A fully charged iPAQ Pocket PC that has been on A/C power in excess of 24 hours may show a decreased battery gauge when removed from the charger.
Lock-up During Boot Resolution
Backlight User Interface Update
Bluetooth Manager v1.1

By the way anyone else notice that it says Bluetooth Manager v1.1, and not an update or fix. While John is saying he doesn't have to reset his unit, which IMHO is not v1.1 but a fix, if true.

Now count the changes, and at this point we are at 9 total, And as of now the PCN site is still claiming that it will be released on 6 24 2002. From what I had been told Compaq had this update working in house in March, and from what I see being posted now. Compaq has not improved anything, they are deleting the parts of the rom that don't work!

Based on the testing Compaq did on my 3870, I see no reason to wait on additional testing by Compaq, If they couldn't discover the problem with the Bluetooth, in the 3870 before it was released, and there best solution after 6 months, is a screen that ask me to reset my 3870. Does any one think that an additional month of testing by Compaq will mean anything?

When I load this Beta ROM, and yes I said BETA! And IMHO that's being generous with Compaq thinking that it might be good enough to be called a BETA. I know that anything might happen, because the only faith I have is that Compaq doesn't CARE about it's iPAQ users, and it's ROM update will have problems. I'm just dumb enough to hope that the new problems will be lest bothersome than the old ones!

Grey
06-19-2002, 05:25 PM

If so, is there any word on any similar update (minus the bluetooth stuff) for the 3600 &amp; 3700 series?
The 2.2 update is for the 36/3700. The 1.2 is for the 3800. Looks like they are working on them at the same time.

On the backlight thing, I just got my 3800 back today (sent in last THURSDAY!) with the inverter replaced. We'll see if that fixes it or not. According to the Customer Advisory (http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=2183|iPAQ+H3800+Series+Pocket+PC&source=MH020124_CW02.xml&dt=3) you should still send it in. Not sure why HP Germany is being different.

Where are you getting this info? It is NOT what I'm seeing The 2.2 update is for the 3870 with built in bluetooth, and the 1.2 update is for the 38xx without bluetooth built in.

Grey

Product PocketPC H3800 Series

Component Type System BIOS / ROMs

Component System BIOS for Bluetooth Models
Version 2.20.xx

Ed Hansberry
06-19-2002, 05:47 PM
This is just more of Compaq Lies! Lies that are used to increase sales! Lies to get money is FRAUD! It is widely reported that Compaq is releasing the 39xx in June. Does the 3900 have all of the problems of the 3800? If they can get this working in the 3900 why can't they get it working in the 3800? If they can't get it working in the 3800, what makes you think it will work any better in the 3900? Will you pay Compaq $700 or $800 to be their next BETA Tester?

As I alluded to in my original post, this may be the install they are working on. The ROM itself may be done, but the problem with ROM updates in the past wasn't the ROM at all but the installer causing iPAQ paperweights in some cases.

If you have evidence Compaq is just sitting on this to tick you off, please let us know. :roll:

Chris Spera
06-19-2002, 05:52 PM

Where are you getting this info? It is NOT what I'm seeing The 2.2 update is for the 3870 with built in bluetooth, and the 1.2 update is for the 38xx without bluetooth built in.

So what about 3700 native Pocket PC 2002 devices, or upgraded 3600's? I'd like to see some improvement in my 3765... the problem with Virtual Memory Management is universal to PPC2002, and not just the 3800's.

Christopher Spera
-------
pocketnow Writer

pocketnow.com -- it's all about portability...
http://www.pocketnow.com

controller2k2
06-19-2002, 05:58 PM
"The 2.2 update is for the 36/3700"

I presume that means -series-. So the 3765 would be covered. (I sure hope so... I have one!)

-Paul

Ed Hansberry
06-19-2002, 06:09 PM
You are right - looks like 3800 only.

Grey
06-19-2002, 06:45 PM

As I alluded to in my original post, this may be the install they are working on. The ROM itself may be done, but the problem with ROM updates in the past wasn't the ROM at all but the installer causing iPAQ paperweights in some cases.

If you have evidence Compaq is just sitting on this to tick you off, please let us know. :roll:

I am more than sure that Compaq has no idea that I exist; yet, so their is no way that they are doing this to "TICK me OFF"! :roll: But that doesn't change the FACTS. On 04-12-2002 09:46 AM John Posted that Compaq had BlueTooth working and he has "... not had to reset my device to get bluetooth to run so I'm very pleased with our progress." That's two months ago. So now the line will be that Compaq doesn't know how to update their device without turning it into a brick? :roll: Again it would seem we are back to Compaq is selling defective products that should be recalled. After all part of the iPAQ mystique is that it could be updated. That is part of the reason that many are willing to pay more for an iPAQ. Compaq has had years to learn how to update their product. If Compaq doesn't know how to do it reliably yet, after years, then they are not going to know in the next week, or month!

Grey

Sanjay Srikonda
06-19-2002, 07:53 PM
What's the point of having an "official" forum on PocketNow.com for Ipaqs and no posting at all officially from Compaq?

Makes you think, these guys don't really care about users. We're getting more information from each other than from the company itself.

Ed Hansberry
06-19-2002, 08:01 PM
What's the point of having an "official" forum on PocketNow.com for Ipaqs and no posting at all officially from Compaq?

Makes you think, these guys don't really care about users. We're getting more information from each other than from the company itself.
That was working pretty well up until the merger. I suspect people are very busy trying to figure out who is keeping what job right now. You do the things that gets kudos from those upstairs. Unfortunately, posting on a free forum on the internet is probably pretty low on the to-do list. :(

Sanjay Srikonda
06-19-2002, 08:11 PM
Compaq hasn't even posted to their own forum so go figure that one out.

sallys
06-19-2002, 08:55 PM
Compaq hasn't even posted to their own forum so go figure that one out.

The did respond to my post! Get this....

I posted on Compaq customer support forum asking 36xx/37xx users and previous users to go to Brighthand thread and post their experience and problems with their units, so that we could add it to the petition. I gave a link to this Brighthand thread:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=01bfbe63c25220e38e5f9350f1385d08&threadid=53469

which gives a link to the recall thread:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=383873dd4341f482e68709734482430e&threadid=52621&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Anyway, I felt sure they would delete it. Guess what? They not only did not delete it, but also one of the Compaq guys posted link to their Customer Advisories page. Can't believe how out of touch they are to all the problems people are shouting about.

Paragon
06-19-2002, 09:05 PM
Geeeeez! When are you guys going to learn. All you had to do was buy a Jornada and you wouldn't have to worry about all of this. :D

Even if it has been dropped!

Dave

tccox
06-19-2002, 09:32 PM
However, the only updated PCN says the 2.2 ROM for Bluetooth 3800s has been postponed until the 24th. The PCN for non-bluetooth still says the 15th. And I just got a response back from Compaq TS. Basically they said "you'll see it when you see it" Oh well

Ed Hansberry
06-19-2002, 10:14 PM
However, the only updated PCN says the 2.2 ROM for Bluetooth 3800s has been postponed until the 24th. The PCN for non-bluetooth still says the 15th. And I just got a response back from Compaq TS. Basically they said "you'll see it when you see it" Oh well
Not sure why everyone is so ticked.
you'll see it when you see it
Just how is that different from any other software manufacturer. If I recall correctly, when I asked Alex Kac about Pocket Informant 3.0 late in the beta stages when it would be released. He said something to the effect of "when it is done." :lol:

tccox
06-19-2002, 10:30 PM
Geeeeez! When are you guys going to learn. All you had to do was buy a Jornada and you wouldn't have to worry about all of this. :D

Even if it has been dropped!

Dave

Hmmmmm, yea, I really enjoyed my "TWO" 568 Jornadas with the dust problems and digitizer failures........No thanks, believe I'll keep my IPAQ

Chairman Clench
06-19-2002, 11:24 PM

I am more than sure that Compaq has no idea that I exist; yet, so their is no way that they are doing this to "TICK me OFF"! :roll: But that doesn't change the FACTS. On 04-12-2002 09:46 AM John Posted that Compaq had BlueTooth working and he has "... not had to reset my device to get bluetooth to run so I'm very pleased with our progress." That's two months ago. So now the line will be that Compaq doesn't know how to update their device without turning it into a brick? :roll: Again it would seem we are back to Compaq is selling defective products that should be recalled. After all part of the iPAQ mystique is that it could be updated. That is part of the reason that many are willing to pay more for an iPAQ. Compaq has had years to learn how to update their product. If Compaq doesn't know how to do it reliably yet, after years, then they are not going to know in the next week, or month!

Grey

If you are as unhappy as the rest of us, check out this link to Brighthand where we are discussing a petition to have these DEFECTIVE devices recalled.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=5f1087918a99ddbe662a3d5cf7b43794&threadid=52621&pagenumber=1

The petition will be on its' own website by the weekend. Let's all band together and show HP/Compaq that we are NOT GOING TO ALLOW THEM TO SELL US DEFECTIVE DEVICES!

Rob Alexander
06-20-2002, 08:46 AM
You are right - looks like 3800 only.

This one is something of a deal-breaker for me. If they've really abandoned the 3700 owners with popping sound and bad ClearType, when both of those issues are correctable in software (as they are since neither problem exists on the identical hardware under PPC 2000), then that will end my association with HP/Compaq on PPCs. :evil:

tccox
06-20-2002, 01:10 PM
Just how is that different from any other software manufacturer. If I recall correctly, when I asked Alex Kac about Pocket Informant 3.0 late in the beta stages when it would be released. He said something to the effect of "when it is done." :lol:

True, Very true, however, Compaq annonuced in April ROM update would be avaliable on June 15. June 15 came and went, no ROM update. They updated the PCN for the Bluetooth models to reflect a June 24 release date but the PCN for the non-bluetooth still states June 15. Now I read that a reader heard that all was delayed until July. The problem here is lack of communication from Compaq. Come on guys, just make a official announcement stating when or if the new ROM update is going to be released. Is that to much to ask ??????????

Grey
06-20-2002, 04:32 PM

True, Very true, however, Compaq announced in April ROM update would be available on June 15. June 15 came and went, no ROM update. They updated the PCN for the Bluetooth models to reflect a June 24 release date but the PCN for the non-bluetooth still states June 15. Now I read that a reader heard that all was delayed until July. The problem here is lack of communication from Compaq. Come on guys, just make a official announcement stating when or if the new ROM update is going to be released. Is that to much to ask ??????????

Terry I think if you look close, you will find that Compaq stated in April, that we could expect to see the ROM in May, and it was implied that what was holding them up at that point was putting them into different languages. At least that is what I was told. In May Compaq switch to the June date. Again I don't think it is a lack of communication from Compaq, we actually have had a lot, the problem is that Compaq Lies. Compaq is deliberately deceptive, they have a long tradition of misleading their customers! Until Compaq/Hp gets the message, this practice of FRAUD will continue.

Just look at the backlight:
Compaq announced that they new what the problem was the inverter boards. Compaq starts a recall. At about this same time they decide to go through with the buyout. Compaq announces that it can be fix with a rom update and stops the recall, Why? Could they be worried about the price of Compaq Stock? Is a large recall of 38xx likely to effect the price of stock? After the sellout is completed, we now find out that the recall is back on again, and what is being replaced? The very same part, that Compaq said didn't need to be replaced.

Compaq first blamed the user, saying they were not smart enough to turn on the iPAQ. IMHO, if this were the case, it would still be Compaq fault, and Compaq would still need to fix the problem! What was Compaq response, to delay, to misdirect, to lie. Why? Well it looks like HP owners will pay for Compaq mistakes now, doesn't it? Something intended to deceive: IS FRAUD If Hp stock owners had been fully aware of Compaq state, would it have made a difference? Who gain by this deception, did the Corporate big shots of Compaq not own shares of Compaq Stock? Was the iPAQ name not something that Hp wanted? Would knowing that a large scale callback of Compaq iPAQ flagship line not have effect the price of Compaq stock?

The only real question here is why is the SEC NOT looking into this?

Grey

Ed Hansberry
06-20-2002, 06:04 PM
The only real question here is why is the SEC NOT looking into this?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jne
06-23-2002, 09:11 AM
Just got this email from PCN :

Product:
PocketPC H3800 Series
Component:
System BIOS for Bluetooth Models
Manufacture Date:
06/24/2002
Original Summary:
Added the Enhancements and Fixes listed in the Details section.
The ROMpaq will be available for download beginning June 15. Compaq will release other language versions one at a time continuing through the end of August.
Update:
Updated the effectivity date from June 15, 2002 to June 24, 2002.
So let's check HP-Compaq website tomorrow :)