View Full Version : Bright Light, Slow iPAQ

marlof
04-12-2002, 01:44 PM
<a href="http://www.pocketpc-club.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=928&forum=5&13">http://www.pocketpc-club.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=928&forum=5&13</a><br /><br />Roel from the leading Dutch Pocket PC site <a href="http://www.pocketpc-club.nl">PocketPC-club.nl</a> found some peculiar behavior in his iPAQ 3800. When placed in the carholder on the dashboard of his car, the iPAQ would slow to a crawl if the sun was shining on the iPAQ. Placing the iPAQ in the shade would speed things up again. After some deduction by the other forum members, they found that the IR receive was causing this behavior. By standard on the Pocket PC 2002 the Pocket PC is looking for incoming IR beams. Switching off the auto reception ( Start | Settings | Connections | Beam | deselect "Receive all incoming beams and select discoverable mode" ) stopped this behavior. Did any of you experience this? On other devices as well?

JonathanWardRogers
04-12-2002, 03:08 PM
My E-200 had that checkbox cleared by default.

marlof
04-12-2002, 03:10 PM
Interesting. Both my Jornada 565 and my iPAQ 3870 had it enabled.

Sven Johannsen
04-12-2002, 03:19 PM
My Jornada had it enabled by default as well. There were some early reports that leaving it that way was a battery drain as well, so it got turned of a long time ago. Maybe the drain issue was associated with trying to process stray IR rather than IR receivers being powered on.

heliod
04-12-2002, 03:40 PM
The default, for what I've heard, is checked. I've also seen it like this both with my upgraded Ipaq and with my Jornada 568 when it arrived brand new to my home.

I use as standard procedure to de-activate it as first step, since it has quite a nasty effect on the battery, too. You can increase your operating time by 15% with this switch turned off!!!

Regarding the sun effect: we all know that the sunlight contains infrared rays. Maybe direct sunlight into the Irda eye as it happens when the PPC is in a car holder should bring the IR intensity to a level where the PPC would think there is another device trying to "talk" to it. Very logical, very curious...

marlof
04-12-2002, 03:45 PM
I kinda like the idea of my iPAQ talking to the universe.....

Ed Hansberry
04-12-2002, 04:22 PM

It is receiving instructions for to aid in your assimilation.

Trevor_NYC
04-12-2002, 04:50 PM
I never knew I had a problem before, but now that I switched off the receive all incomming beams my 3835 is much faster. I just thought it was the nature of the Pocket PC OS to be sluggish. I routinely did soft resets everytime it got too slow, but I never made any connections with extreme slowness in bright places. And I've been too busy struggling with my erratic backlight problems.

JonathanWardRogers
04-12-2002, 05:53 PM
Can someone else with an E-200 confirm that this is cleared by default? I'd never even looked at the setting before I read this thread, and when I went in to turn mine off, it was already unchecked.

If it's not the default, then I can only assume that the Casio tech or rep or someone changed the setting. Wierd...

Jon

Peseta
04-12-2002, 10:24 PM
My Casio had an [infamous spontaneous] hard reset a few days ago, so I was able to check the default setting, because I know I hadn't tinkered with it yet.

It was on, just like the other PPC2002 devices.

Marc Zimmermann
04-13-2002, 12:14 AM
I read about that recently in the German Windows CE newsgroup. All Pocket PC 2002 devices have this option enabled by default, including the E-200 (I just hard reset mine this week).

Will T Smith
04-13-2002, 05:05 AM
Please Please Please ...

Uncheck this option by default in ANY future PocketPC service release!!!!!

Publish an Activesync path that will AUTOMATICALLY deactivate this on connected devices.

VERY FEW users need there device to operate in "permiscous mode". It just sucks batteries and harms the PocketPC image as "bloated, slow, and inefficient".

Thank You.

controller2k2
04-13-2002, 06:18 AM
I've been frequently amazed at the massive slow downs I have experienced while syncing my Ipaq recently, until I read this note about the -sun-.

I have a flourescent bulb in a lamp directly above my cradle. It's not usually on, but it happens to be on tonight. Just for kicks, I went in and unchecked the noted box in the beam control panel.

And what do you know? The ipaq sped back up again!

The bulb in the lamp must be giving off IR that the ipaq is sensitive to. Very, very interesting.

tonyrxman
04-13-2002, 06:34 AM
Just purchased a iPaq 3850 (after my 3650 bit the dust). Was hoping to get a smoother iPaq but instead got a SLOWER device that often FREEZES........

I sure hope this helps, if not I guess I will take it back....

Wishing I had my 3650 back.......Anthony

Ed Hansberry
04-13-2002, 05:55 PM
VERY FEW users need there device to operate in "permiscous mode". It just sucks batteries and harms the PocketPC image as "bloated, slow, and inefficient".

I think more use their IRDA port than you think. I think it would be far more difficult for people to receive data from Palm and PPC users if they had to do a 10 click step process to enable it.

Registered
04-14-2002, 12:32 AM

It is receiving instructions for to aid in your assimilation.

Yes, its just sending out a normal "homing-trace" signal for the Collective, nothing to worry about ! :lol:

Gerard
05-21-2002, 10:47 PM
Funny, but my 3835 just stopped being all sluggish after installing the MS High Encryption software. Probably it'll slow down after my next reboot, but right now it's faster than ever with 3 PIE windows open, dialup active, Inbox any MSN Messenger on, Dashboard (v 1.5.001a), GigaBar, AliveCE, MultiIE also running, and after some image editing in Pocket Artist and Photogenics. Nice! But it's been very inconsistent, especially browsing in File Explorer, where simply opening a folder with a few files in it can take more than 15 seconds.
As for always-on IrDA, well, it's useless to me. I don't hang with any other users, ever. Vancouver's kind of back-woods, and only suit-clad folks use PDAs here for the most part, and those are usually P**m devices.
So *just-in-case* I've re-mapped IrDA-receive to my Inbox button. Never know, I could need to download something from space!