View Full Version : $50 a month flat-rate GPRS

Jason Dunn
03-28-2002, 05:50 PM
$50 CND (@ $32 US) per month, UNLIMITED data transfer. Holy flatrate Batman! Yes, it's a reality - coming to Canadians courtesy of <a href="http://www.microcell.ca">Microcell</a>, the power behind the <a href="http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/fidopage/myHomePage.shtml">Fido throne</a>. It's a 12 month contract, so it's something you can bank on. Now the only problem is that Fido doesn't offer any GRPS phones with Bluetooth support built in. So close to being perfect - I hope they add the T39 or T68 soon!<br /><br />Although this information isn't on the Microcell or Fido web sites yet, I have it from a very reliable source that this offer will be starting soon. The rest of the world, eat your heart out! :-)

Paragon
03-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Hey Jason

That is good news for us Canadians eh! The last I saw their GPRS rates were thru the roof. It looks like their coverage is maybe improving also....at least on paper. I think you can get coverage in almost any Canadian city, still very poor coverage between cities. It will come I'm sure.

I will be very disappointed if they do not offer a "Wallaby" or HP928 type of handheld.

I want and I want it now!!

I truely believe that wireleess handhelds will be the next r.....evolution.

Dave

rubberdemon
03-28-2002, 07:25 PM
I found a little bit more on this at www.howardchui.com in the Fido forum.

"The PC Novatel Merlin G100 card will be launched on April 11. A new
promotional service: unlimited usage of the GPRS for $50/month, valid
during 12 months."

My only suspicion about this is that it will be valid for 12 months as an incentive for people to use this, then revert to whatever billing plans they have after this period is up. I can't see them sticking with an unlimited plan like this indefinitely considering the price of their other plans, though IMHO the only way to really draw people into using data is to offer an unlimited option - I bet they're finding few takers for their GPRS services, even if their prices are reasonable compared to other GPRS prices, they're still unrealistic for most people.

Joff
03-28-2002, 08:22 PM
I fear you could be right rubberdemon (let's hope not).
I wish something similar will be on offer in Europe. I will most certainly sign in for this price. It could actually become a serious contender to ADSL or broadband cable since prices for these services are of the same order. GPRS would give you the bonus to provide mobile internet! Well worth the extra few bucks. Coverage could be a problem (that should hopefully improve).

That's it, I'm all excited now. :lol:

Brad Adrian
03-28-2002, 08:36 PM
I can't see them sticking with an unlimited plan like this indefinitely considering the price of their other plans, though IMHO the only way to really draw people into using data is to offer an unlimited option

What I think would make the most sense would be something similar to what wireless voice networks do and ISPs do when offering trial memberships: provide a huge chunk of finite connectivity, with upgraded service for an additional fee. Pay-by-the-byte will be VERY difficult for most North Americans to swallow, but paying for large blocs of downloads is more in line with what we are used to.

Still, for the very first time in my life, I find myself reading this news item and wishing -- heaven help me -- that I lived in Canada.

Paragon
03-28-2002, 08:40 PM
Still, for the very first time in my life, I find myself reading this news item and wishing -- heaven help me -- that I lived in Canada.
[/quote]

Very funny Brad... and I was just starting to like you :)

Actually I'm hoping that a year down the road market value will be much lower. The only problem with that is there is so little GPRS competition in Canada. I think Rogers is still talking about and as far as I know no one else has even begun to build a GPRS system hmmmm.

Dave

mahaikol
03-28-2002, 10:32 PM
An operator called DNA offers flat-rate GPRS services in Finland, price tag is somewhere 16-17 euros per month.. It's the only one of its kind here in Finland. Many people have started to use it as their only internet connection, and say it performs well.

MH

rubberdemon
03-28-2002, 10:57 PM
I'm with Telus here in Vancouver myself, and what interests me is how something like this will affect their upcoming 1xrtt launch (scheduled for May). They'll be launching the Sierra Wireless 555 aircard as their data solution, which I believe also has voice capability with a headset, which has me quite interested (my wallet protests, of course). If they have an unlimited bundle at a competitive price, I'll be sorely tempted.

As for that flat fee offer in Finland, that's the best one I've ever heard of: 17 euros for flat rate is so much cheaper than everyone else that I have to wonder how they can afford this. Maybe you should give up your Canadian dreams and switch to Finland, Brad... :D

rubberdemon
03-28-2002, 11:00 PM
Oh and PS, for anyone else wishing to sneak over the border and take advantage of Canadian lower prices - you can get ADSL or Cable Internet service for $40 per month CDN ($24 US) pretty much anywhere - and some ISPs have launched lite versions at 128kps for $24 CD per month ($15 US)! It ain't all maple syrup and pancakes...

Paragon
03-28-2002, 11:07 PM
Not to mention, we drink real beer!

rubberdemon, do you have a link with anymore info on Telus's 1xrtt plans.

Dave

rubberdemon
03-28-2002, 11:36 PM
Hey Paragon:

Have a look at this forum (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=08ef501efbd252f0e9ae290c3c17cd50&threadid=18670)on www.howardchui.com

This has a lot of info on the forthcoming launch, but no prices, alas.

Paragon
03-29-2002, 02:09 AM
Thanks I'll check it out

Dave

Kre
03-29-2002, 12:19 PM
This is a fantastic price.

But wireless data is a simple equation when it comes to pricing. The whole idea of gprs is to ease the masses into 3G by priming them, or getting them used to the idea of wireless data. Gprs is just a primer. 3G is where its at. 3G is what carriers are pouring a tremendous amount of time, money, and resources into, and theyre doing this because they see new dollar signs and theyre hoping that 3G will do for the industry what cellular did. This is what carriers are betting on. Gprs is the opening act, while 3G is the main attraction. Its 3G that carriers are betting will create a whole new revenue stream for themselves when they finally roll it out. But for American carriers to reap a return on their investments, the only way they can hedge their bets, is by indeed getting the masses used to the idea of wireless data first, via gprs.

The only way that American carriers will get the masses used to wireless data, and prepared for 3G, is by giving them reasons that wireless data should be a part of their lives in the first place. The biggest reason will always be, affordability. Most people will find other reasons for adopting it, on their own, based on their unique needs. If its affordable enough, customers can and will talk themselves into buying it. But if its not affordable, then gprs wont even get mass attention to begin with, and if no one cares about gprs, then the masses wont care about 3G enough either to give the carriers the kind of return on investment that theyre looking for, and to make it worth it for carriers to continue supporting and updating wireless data service.

Therefore, American carriers are going to have to quickly get with the program and begin emulating what these other carriers are doing in other countries around the world... Offering unlimited wireless data for a low flat fee. Ive said this a million times. Customers need to know that they dont need to worry about how much each stupid little KB or MB is costing them. Customers need to know that they can just log on and do what they need to do without worrying that they might have a four hundred dollar bill at the end of the month. Not to mention, life is so busy, that people dont have time to keep track of every minute. We have enough to worry about and keep us busy, we dont need this concern, too. This low flat fee, unlimited use pricing scheme is what has allowed dial up internet access to be so successful. Low flat rates for unlimited access is necessary for these types of services to succeed. Wireless will be no exception. Carriers that dont see this, lack understanding and will not see the returns that they seek, to make all their 3G efforts worthwhile.

So c`mon American carriers. Quit trying to milk the cow with high pricing. This isnt how youre going to cash in. Volume is how you will cash in. Dont expect fat pockets with overpriced wireless services with any generation of wireless, otherwise, youre just deluding yourselves. Learn from NTT DoCoMo. Volume is your friend, high prices are not. Customers are not stupid and the masses will not spend ridiculous amounts of money just to be a part of the wireless data experience. They simply cannot afford it. Dont expect early adopters to create a financial cushion for your initial investments. You wont cash in that way. And dont expect customers to take the first leap by paying high prices in order to help your 3G dreams come true. You will have to take the first several leaps. And among those leaps, is making wireless easily manageable and affordable, regardless of what generation it is. This means UNLIMITED access for a LOW flat fee.

Its starts with 2.5G.

CoffeeKid
03-30-2002, 11:33 AM
As someone who just dropped $350 on a phone I actually don't like much (Motorola P280, I miss the smaller size and menus of the Nokias) just to get GPRS, and someone who signed up for the $100 flog a month plan for GPRS (my total Fido bill is $157 with taxes) because I thought I was getting

a) high speed
b) I'd need the bandwidth because it's high speed

In reality, I get

a) intermittent connections (both in phone browser and wireless to notebook
b) speeds that aren't much faster than when I used a data cable on Clearnet at 9600baud.

In other words, a royal rip off. Fido, being one of those "east coast" companies (you know what I mean, right Jason?) doesn't appear to care about the wet coast too much when it comes to GPRS. A CSR told me that they allocate only 2 channels per node/tower for GPRS (out of dunno how many - dozens?) and if they're eaten up, you go into the regular pool (with the voice people), and if there isn't any available at a certain strength, you're SOL. Oh and, don't count on getting the dual or triple channel connects (that's where the high speed is) - it won't happen. Again from the mouth of the GPRS CSR with Microcell (Fido). Nice guy, brutally honest with me, and knew his stuff. I was both happy and pissed off.

Sorry to get off on a rant here, but while I love this idea of $50 all you can eat, if it's bad now on the exclusive and expensive plans, how bad is it going to get on this new one, where the peons (heh heh heh) will consider signing up.

One thing's for sure. The $100 plan goes in the crapper on Monday, when this supposedly rolls out.

Paragon
03-31-2002, 07:43 PM
Hey Paragon:

Have a look at this forum (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=08ef501efbd252f0e9ae290c3c17cd50&threadid=18670)on www.howardchui.com

This has a lot of info on the forthcoming launch, but no prices, alas.

This is a good link, thanks

I managed to find out a few things banging around there.

Telus is likely going to carry the Audiovox Thera here in Canada.It will not likley be subsidised so the price will be quite high.

I was told by one individual who works with Fido/Microcell that they were looking at a new Ipaq wireless device... not a sleeve but a new device. I have no idea how valid that statement is so take it for what it is a "rumor".

Dave