View Full Version : Zune Ugly Truth #1: Media Center Video Synchronization

Jason Dunn
11-21-2006, 10:30 PM
<em>This is the first in a series of tips that will address a core failing of the current Zune hardware/software, explain what the problem is, how to work around it (if possible), and what we propose for a fix. If the issue is fixed at some point, we'll update the tip with that information.</em><br /><br /><strong>BACKGROUND: </strong>Anyone that has used a Portable Media Center (PMC) device, the precursor in many ways to the Zune, will no doubt be familiar with the way you could connect a PMC, and using Windows Media Player 10 or 11, take those gigantic 4 GB TV shows in DVR-MS format and convert them to a 320 x 240 Windows Media Video (WMV) file. The process was slow, but it worked and the quality of the resulting video was usually quite high. The process has been made even better now that dual core CPUs are becoming more common, because the back-end Windows Media Encoder process will use both CPUs to speed up the encoding.<br /><br /><strong>PROBLEM: </strong>The Zune software will not accept DVR-MS files. It will not convert them to WMV for playback on the Zune hardware, it will not list them in the library, and you cannot drag and drop the files into the Zune software. This means there's no easy way to get TV shows and movies from a Windows Media Center PC onto your Zune.<br /><br /><strong>WORKAROUND #1:</strong> The only way in to get DVR-MS video files onto the Zune is to get them converted into the proper type of file that the Zune can play without conversion, which is only a 320 x 240 WMV. If you have a PlaysForSure device, follow these steps:<br /><ol> <li>Connect a PlaysForSure device to a PC running <a target="_blank" href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx">Windows Media Player 11</a></li> <li>Sync over the DVR-MS videos to your player. It will transcode (convert) to 320 x 240 WMV (wait several hours depending on your computer)</li> <li> Move the video off PlaysForSure device back to to your PC</li> <li> Sync the WMV files onto the Zune</li></ol><strong>WORKAROUND #2:</strong> The only way in to get DVR-MS video files onto the Zune is to get them converted into a 320 x 240 WMV. <a target="_blank" href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx">Windows Media Encoder</a> can't do it, <a target="_blank" href="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308464">Windows Movie Maker</a> can't do it, but if you can get <a target="_blank" href="http://thegreenbutton.com/files/default.aspx">one of these tools to work for you</a> and get the file into MPEG2 format, you can then convert the file to WMV with the Windows Media Encoder, or another video editing application (such as Premiere Elements). There are <a target="_blank" href="http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,10494">some applications</a> that will covert DVR-MS into WMV, but many require a live connection to the device, and most I've tried have been quite flakey.<br /><br /><strong>PROPOSED SOLUTION:</strong> The Zune team should add the DVR-MS conversion back into the Zune software. Since it's essentially Windows Media Player 11 with a Zune skin, the fact that it is missing this functionality is baffling to say the least. People with Windows Media Center computers have easy access to video content via cable TV, and not allowing them to view that content on the Zune makes it a less appealing solution.

EdZuneEd
11-22-2006, 05:24 AM
Jason,
The Zune and the Zune software DOES support DVR-MS files and the transcoding to the zune device.

I posted this in the forums yesterday--I load recorded tv content on the zune just like the PMC:

I own a Zune and Media Center PC. Here are the steps I used to transfer Media Center "Recorded TV" content:
- connect the Zune to the Media Center PC (establish a guest partnership if it's not the main PC used to sync the Zune).
- the Zune Application should auto launch
- drag MS-DVR files from the "recorded TV" directory to the sync window in the Zune App (it's possible to point the Zune App to auto-sync all content in the recorded tv directory too).
- press the "sync" button

At this point, the Zune App will transcode the MS-DVR files to a small WMV file format--so it can take a while depending on the CPU power.

Once the sync is complete, disconnect and fire up the Zune, select "video", then scroll right and select "tv shows". Done!

mar2k
11-22-2006, 05:38 AM
The DVR-MS issue is one of the major things bugging me about the Zune right now. It drives me nuts that the Zune is not really embracing the existing Windows platform given the market share advantage that exists. I know they are trying to create their own closed marketplace for content but you have to convince people that this is THE device to have. Think what kind of praise the Zune would be getting had it shipped with out of the box support for OGG, FLAC, H.264, DiVX, DVR-MS etc and made getting this content on and off the device easy as you suggest. If its the Wifi sharing aspect that scares them off from doing this, I wish they had killed it since at this stage, its pretty much a snooze...

With Vista coming with Media Center built in and lots more TV tuners and CableCard ready PCs, there will be more and more users looking to move DVR-MS content to portable devices other than laptops (not everyone owns an ultraportable). If Zune is worthless for this and MS has effectively driven a nail into the Portable Media Center coffin with Zune, what devices will exist to move this content to? Smartphones and Pocket PCs have very limited memory so this is unacceptable. The Zune really could have been given a Vista-like UI and marketed as THE device you would want to have with your new Vista PC to easily move content back and forth to. I think with that market strategy, the content issue would have taken care of itself down the road once Vista becomes dominant.

Jason Dunn
11-22-2006, 08:00 AM
The Zune and the Zune software DOES support DVR-MS files and the transcoding to the zune device.

I'm not sure how you were able to get this to work. When I try and drag and drop DVR-MS files into the Zune sync list, it won't accept the file - I get the circular "no" icon. When I set my monitored folders to scan the Recorded TV directory, I get no files showing up. It will not "see" DVR-MS files in any way. David Caulton who's on the Zune team never talks about DVR-MS transcoding.

I honestly have NO idea how this is working for you. :confused:

rzanology
11-22-2006, 06:30 PM
im using pocket dvd studio for now. sure its a ppc program but it gets the job done just as well. and it cuts down on the file size of my media center recordings

Jason Dunn
11-22-2006, 06:31 PM
im using pocket dvd studio for now.

That program can accept DVR-MS files as input? :confused:

Aaron Roma
11-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure how you were able to get this to work. When I try and drag and drop DVR-MS files into the Zune sync list, it won't accept the file - I get the circular "no" icon.

Hmm... this is interesting. I'm curious to try this myself when I get home later. Jason: Just out of curiousity, are you running the Zune softare directly on the MCE box, or are you copying the DVR-MS files from MCE to another machine with the Zune software? (My not matter... just curious.)

Jason Dunn
11-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Jason: Just out of curiousity, are you running the Zune softare directly on the MCE box

Directly on the MCE box.

EdZuneEd
11-22-2006, 10:33 PM
I honestly have NO idea how this is working for you. :confused:

I guess I have additional sw/plugins that make it work--I'll have to investigate... sorry for confusion.

Zune doesn't support DVR-MS out of the box as Jason points out, and as outlined here: http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/howto/play/formats.htm

rzanology
11-27-2006, 07:07 PM
That program can accept DVR-MS files as input? :confused:

it sure does! :)

malbert69
11-28-2006, 09:46 PM
it sure does! :)
How are you able to do this? My Zune software does not handle DVR-MS files at all. What version software do you have?

tapman
12-05-2006, 08:11 AM
I guess I have additional sw/plugins that make it work--I'll have to investigate... sorry for confusion.

Zune doesn't support DVR-MS out of the box as Jason points out, and as outlined here: http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/howto/play/formats.htm

Anything further on how you got this to work?? It doesn't for me. :(

Scott

sboots
12-08-2006, 01:25 AM
No direct way, but I downloaded TMPGEnc Xpress last night and used the template Zunester made available here: http://www.zune.com/zune.zip
Using TMPGenc Xpress was absolutely easy, easy, easy! Drag and drop and go. The conversion took a little while on my MCE PC, but then the transwer to the Zune was very fast as it required no further conversion during sync. I think perhaps I'll spring for the cost of TMPGEnc Xpress.
-steve

Jason Dunn
12-08-2006, 06:23 AM
No direct way, but I downloaded TMPGEnc Xpress last night...

Doesn't it kind of piss you off though to have to spend another $99 to get software to do what the Zune software should do already? :mad: