View Full Version : Vegas Video Anyone?

hshortt
03-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Sonic Foundry were recently bought out by Sony Media, so their excellent Vegas Video software is now rebranded by Sony.

If you have not yet checked this package out then I can highly recommend you do. The video editing is presented in such a way as to enable a novice to easily learn it's most basic functions and with a little help from the built in tutorials you can quickly get very hands on with the most advanced features.

Also there the DVD architect which is actually really good and it's my preferred DVD creations software at the moment. I used to use ReelDVD and while some of Reel's features are not available in this package (specifically, multiple sound tracks) I'd be happy to lay a bet that the next version will have it.

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/ demo versions available.

Cheers
Howard
(Ireland)

Timothy Huber
03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm a Vegas user and love it! As a digital video hobbyist it's probably a bit of an overkill for my needs, but I like having the full functionality available. It's fast, integrates great with the other Sonic Foundry (oops... Sony) apps, and produces beautiful video. The pan and zoom capabilities are pretty cool.

I used it to produce a DVD for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary party. We had it running during the party. Combined captured home movie and video footage with still photographs over a series of 50's era love songs. We also produced a photo book from www.mypublisher.com reproducing the still photos used on the DVD. Of course, we had to buy them a DVD player so they could watch it at home :wink:

Timothy

Jason Dunn
03-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Vegas Video is indeed a damn impressive product - I'm going to be talking about it in the next few weeks, because I have a great story about how it really saved my butt once time. ;-) The software is amazingly fast and stable - all around, very impressive. I'm hoping to get 4.0 to review...

Gary Sheynkman
03-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Welcome to DMT! Sony has so many smart people working for them (especially that alien blue thing guy...) that it is no wonder they are producing some fine software.

Jason, if it saved your *** once....how many times has Muvee helped you out?

ShinKen
03-04-2004, 06:19 AM
This was posted and later pulled from Sony's website. I have not used Vegas or DVD Architect in a while (Currently using Adobe Premiere Pro and Encore at the moment), but it looks like Sony will continue to make it a great product. Here is the press release:

SONY UNVEILS VERSION 5.0 OF VEGAS SOFTWARE

PARK RIDGE, N.J., March 2, 2004 - Sony will introduce version 5.0 of its Vegas software, the latest upgrade to its award-winning, state-of-the-art video and audio non-linear editor, at NAB in Las Vegas next month.

"This version will establish Vegas as the premier application for professional media production," said Bob Ott, vice president of Sony Electronics' Broadcast and Production Systems Division.

The latest version of the Vegas software increases its functionality with even more sophisticated features, including 3D planar motion, film-style 5.1 surround panning, external control surface support, Loops for ACID ™ "loop property" recognition, customizable keyboard mapping, real-time event reverse, network rendering, Sony DSR-DU1 and DSR-DR1000 disc recorder support, J-H3 HDCAM player support and much more.

Vegas software provides a broad range of non-linear video and audio editing applications with advanced real-time A/V production across unlimited tracks and offers powerful audio mixing, video compositing, color correction, titling, streaming media creation, surround sound production and an extensive array of additional professional features.

Sony is also announcing the release of its new Vegas+DVD Production Suite, which includes Vegas 5, a Dolby® Laboratory-certified multichannel AC-3 encoder, and an upgraded version of its DVD Architect authoring and production software.

New features in the DVD Architect 2 software include: subtitle and alternate audio track support, enhanced disk optimization tools, external monitor previews, support for 24P DVD encoding and much more.

"Vegas software is already an overwhelming favorite among digital video and audio professionals," said Ott. "The software's enhanced capabilities in the Vegas 5.0 version and its integration into the Sony professional production workflow will now make it the most comprehensive software package available for professional video, audio and DVD production."

that_kid
03-04-2004, 02:27 PM
I've been using Vegas Video since it's inception as Vegas Audio. for audio work it was great and every version thereafter has been great. I just upgraded to Vegas Video 4 and i'm now waiting for 5 which should be out soon. DVD Architect is just amazing, I'm working on a few videos now and hopefully they'll make it to the local cable channel like last year. I was thinking of getting a mac at one point but i've been using vegas for so long that my work flow with it is very smooth.

that_kid
03-04-2004, 02:31 PM
external control surface support"

8O My Mackie control and extenders (http://mackie.com/products/mackiecontrol/index.html) will come in very handy. Oh I can't wait to get the new version, i'm still floored by version 4.

Suhit Gupta
03-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Here is the press release:
Hey ShinKen,
Thanks for the info, really informative. One minor point, usually we request people to provide a link to outside sources rather than paste entire content here.

Thanks
Suhit

ShinKen
03-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Here is the press release:
Hey ShinKen,
Thanks for the info, really informative. One minor point, usually we request people to provide a link to outside sources rather than paste entire content here.

Thanks
Suhit

Understood will do so in the future.