View Full Version : "Courts shut down DVD X Copy" (pcmag.com)

Russell
02-24-2004, 07:07 PM
It looks like the legal folks are at it again trying to put a stop to the digital piracy in this country. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1536846,00.asp. The funny part about DVD copying software is that the main customers for it are likely avid digital pirates anyway. So, the courts can stop 321 studios from making this software, but chances are digital pirates will go find it on the Internet somewhere - for free.

I am assuming it was pretty easy to put a halt on production since it is still considered a felony to copy DVDs under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act in the U.S. Does anyone know if other countries have similar laws?

Gary Sheynkman
02-24-2004, 11:16 PM
It looks like the legal folks are at it again trying to put a stop to the digital piracy in this country. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1536846,00.asp. The funny part about DVD copying software is that the main customers for it are likely avid digital pirates anyway. So, the courts can stop 321 studios from making this software, but chances are digital pirates will go find it on the Internet somewhere - for free.

I am assuming it was pretty easy to put a halt on production since it is still considered a felony to copy DVDs under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act in the U.S. Does anyone know if other countries have similar laws?

I can assure you that most countries dont. I pick up DVD at 10-15 bucks a piece in ukraine. They strip the DVD of the commentary and put in a different language
its amazing

ruffas
02-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Bur surely this software has perfectly legit usage..
If I make a DVD of my family holiday and want to do a copy for my Mum & Dad, I would need software such as XCopy to do this...

In fact this is just my dilemma at the moment. I have just got a DVD burner and my Nero software asks me how many copies I want. Now I don't want to make numerous copies but if I need one at a later date I guess I need to copy the DVD or backup the whole project onto my PC.

I need to check, but I am sure my Nero software gives me this option.

Ruffas

groan
02-25-2004, 03:46 PM
The issue with DVD XCopy is it breaks the security placed on DVD Movies from the store. your Videos from your video camera placed on a DVD don't contain these security devices and therefore are not part of the issue.
321 is still selling thier software (or are going to be) without the security breaker so you will eventually be able to do your copies. there are other programs out there that will do this part.

Gary Sheynkman
02-29-2004, 03:57 AM
The issue with DVD XCopy is it breaks the security placed on DVD Movies from the store. your Videos from your video camera placed on a DVD don't contain these security devices and therefore are not part of the issue.
321 is still selling thier software (or are going to be) without the security breaker so you will eventually be able to do your copies. there are other programs out there that will do this part.

Why cant I "back up" my DVDs???? :?: :roll:

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 04:11 AM
Why cant I "back up" my DVDs???? :?: :roll:
Because there is no way for them to tell what you are "backing up", especially since, as pointed out earlier in this thread, it breaks the security on the DVD. Therefore, you could be "backing up" a movie, and your "backup" could end up with your friend, who could make further "backups". ;-)

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
02-29-2004, 08:42 PM
I think the case here is this: DVD media is on a plastic disk that may be scratched..etc etc....Id like to have a "use" copy and an archive copy.

and here comes the eye roll :roll:

really though, if I buy a DVD, cant I rip the movie to my pc, convert it and put it on a different device...or something of the sort. I mean once I buy that DVD I DO own some rights to the material

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 08:51 PM
really though, if I buy a DVD, cant I rip the movie to my pc, convert it and put it on a different device...or something of the sort. I mean once I buy that DVD I DO own some rights to the material
Oh I agree, you do have rights over your DVD. But how is the manufacturer/artist to enforce his right to get paid when another person gets a copy of your DVD? And this is where the problems begin.

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
02-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Oh I agree, you do have rights over your DVD. But how is the manufacturer/artist to enforce his right to get paid when another person gets a copy of your DVD? And this is where the problems begin.

Suhit

honestly i dont think that that is where the problem lies. Me giving a friend a copy is not the same as countries allowing for sale of millions of illegaly created DVDs and CD...all at 1.75 bucks a CD or -15 bucks per DVD. They just cant compete with someone who goes cheaper AND provides the media in an appropriate language

Deemo
03-02-2004, 05:22 AM
From what I have read, DVD X Copy was a poor piece of overhyped software anyway.
From lurking the newsgroups the last few days, the best software is DVD Shrink and it is free. I used it once and it is amazing!
Backups can be made with Nero Burning ROM.

Gary Sheynkman
03-02-2004, 05:46 AM
From what I have read, DVD X Copy was a poor piece of overhyped software anyway.
From lurking the newsgroups the last few days, the best software is DVD Shrink and it is free. I used it once and it is amazing!
Backups can be made with Nero Burning ROM.

not THOSE types of backups :lol: :wink: