View Full Version : DIVX

ruffas
02-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know much about DIVX?

I don't know much about it but am lead to believe that I should do?
I usually make home movies on VCD but I am thinking of getting a DIVX enabled DVD player.

Am I suffering from too much peer pressure from my virtual internet peers or is DIVX all it's cracked up to be?

Ruffas

Jason Dunn
02-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Compared to the quality of VCD, a DiVX version of your video would look much, much better - assuming that the source video is high-quality enough. But why not just burn a real DVD instead? :-)

Gary Sheynkman
02-13-2004, 01:46 AM
Divx is great.

Im also a fan of all the "modded" codec based on it... great qualtity

ruffas
02-13-2004, 10:05 AM
Compared to the quality of VCD, a DiVX version of your video would look much, much better - assuming that the source video is high-quality enough. But why not just burn a real DVD instead? :-)

That's cool, so what about my second question?

Am I suffering from too much peer pressure from my virtual internet peers or is DIVX all it's cracked up to be?

Do I need it at all? ( I do keep home movies on my PC )

Ruffas

Jason Dunn
02-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Am I suffering from too much peer pressure from my virtual internet peers or is DIVX all it's cracked up to be? Do I need it at all? ( I do keep home movies on my PC )

Divx is indeed a very impression compression scheme - good, small file size with excellent quality. I personally use the Windows Media Encoder (it's free and easy to use), but there's no DVD players yet that can play back 9 Series WMV (that I'm aware of at least - I know they're coming), so I tend to just burn a real DVD if I need to, and keep WMV files for archival purposes. If you're getting a Divx-compatible DVD player, yes, you should probably use Divx. ;-)

ruffas
02-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Cheers Jason,

CHanged my mind this weekend.. I just got a great deal on a DVD burner for my PC, so here goes!!!!!

Ruffas...

Jason Dunn
02-17-2004, 05:03 PM
CHanged my mind this weekend.. I just got a great deal on a DVD burner for my PC, so here goes!!!!!

Excellent! :way to go: Have fun with it! :-)

Russell
02-18-2004, 01:27 AM
Cheers Jason,

Ruffas...

Out of curiosity, what did you pay? I got one at a DVD burner at Staples yesterday for $90 US.

ruffas
02-19-2004, 04:57 PM
I got a trade deal in the UK on an 8 speed drive for £90 (pounds).

High street retail prices are around £150 for 8 speed dvd burners in the UK.

I know 8 Speed is a little fast for the much of the media available but while I was gettig a good deal I though what the hell?

R

klinux
03-01-2004, 09:36 PM
I back up DVDs into DivX (approx 1.2 GB per movie) so I can bring movies with me on the laptop without the physical discs. My goal is to set up a HTPC that can serve as a digital media library.