View Full Version : Cross platform usage: upgrading from Photoshop Elements 2

marlof
02-02-2004, 01:33 PM
I've been using Mac OS X for over a year now on my iBook G3 800 Mhz 640mb (next to using Windows XP on my aging Sony Vaio Desktop). So far I've settled on the following software:

Albums: iView Media Pro 2
Editing: Photoshop Elements 2

I'm looking for an upgrade of the latter, and am exploring the possibilities. Upgrading to Photoshop CS would feel natural, but I have a big problem with that. My main frustration is that although it seems Adobe allows users to install Photoshop on two machines, one doesn't seem to be able to get a double Win/Mac license, and I'd have to pay two full licenses. And going for platform specific software seems to result in a dual learning curve.

Are there other cross-platform users out there that ran into this issue? If so, what solution did you find?

Mr. MacinTiger
02-04-2004, 03:37 AM
:? Adobe has not been that friendly to cross platform users, but I guess we should be happy they are still making Photoshop for Mac at all, eh?

At any rate, I also use Elements 2 for editing and iPhoto 4 for albums...If I was looking to upgrade from Elements I think I would first turn to the
GiMP and see if it suited my needs. I hear that it is about as powerful as Photoshop, but I don't know about plugin capability or how easy it is to install (I think you have to do the X11 and Fink thing?).

pawpoise
04-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Has anyone tried GIMP on a mac...I'm concerned that running under X-windows will be sloow ?

James Fee
04-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Yea, that is a problem. I do have Photoshop Elements on both my Mac and PC, but Photoshop CS only on my Mac due to the lack of a windows license. Why not upgrade your Mac version to CS and still use PS Elements on your PC?

marlof
04-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Yea, that is a problem. I do have Photoshop Elements on both my Mac and PC, but Photoshop CS only on my Mac due to the lack of a windows license. Why not upgrade your Mac version to CS and still use PS Elements on your PC?

In the meantime, I've done it the other way round: since my desktop is my main editing platform and running XP, I've moved that one to CS, and kept PSE2 on the iBook. Guess that gives me a reason to replace that aging Vaio as well. ;)

James Fee
04-16-2004, 10:04 PM
Guess that gives me a reason to replace that aging Vaio as well. ;)
I love that kind of thinking! :lol: