View Full Version : T-Mo Data Plans...the need for clarity and understanding

Sooner Magic
03-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Hi to all-

I am a long time Pocket PC guy who is planning on purchasing a T-Mo Dash. Essentially, I need to be able to check email (both personal and corporate) and access the Net on a demand basis as I travel 70% of the time. I have no sense for my data volume needs as it related to MBs/month.

I currently have T-Mo WAP ($4.99/mo) and am unclear about the difference between it and the unlimited $29.99 plan. I am interested in any lessons learned, experiences and or recommendations.

Also the Dash has received great reviews, but I wonder it would be enhanced by supplemental 3rd party software. If anyone has recommendations on that issue, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

AdamaDBrown
03-24-2007, 07:05 PM
The $30 Total Internet plan includes both unlimited cellular data and access to T-Mobile Hotspots, the latter accounting for half the price. It also allows you to do VPN and certain other things that the T-MobileWeb plan doesn't.

Sven Johannsen
03-24-2007, 11:27 PM
The $30 Total Internet plan includes both unlimited cellular data and access to T-Mobile Hotspots, the latter accounting for half the price.
The HotSpot part of that is not tied to the phone BTW. If the phone has WiFi you can certainly use that at Starbucks, but you will have a HotSpot account and can log in with your laptop as well.

When I got the plan, you could get either the GRS/Edge or the Hotspot for $20 if you have T-Mobile as your voice carrier, at a specified level of voice plan. Together they are $30, with voice. So if you don't need WiFi at all, you should be able to get the phone data for $20 with voice. I think of the HotSpot as costing me $10.