View Full Version : Questions on data usage / speeds

jonblazn
11-30-2006, 07:20 AM
I'm currently using an SMT5600 with unlimited medianet and am about to upgrade phones but I have a couple questions. Obviously I'd like to have the fastest possible transfer speeds at the lowest costs. I'd also like to be able to connect to the net using my phone's net connection. In light of these points here are my questions:
1. Do you have to pay extra for EDGE or 3G or is this just a matter of your phone's capabilities and the availability of service in the given area?
2. I see many people 'abuse' medianet unlimited? What are the limits of the abuse that I could get away with.
3. How difficult is it to connect to the net using one's phone connection? I've never tried but would like to. Unfortunately, I seem to have problems getting bluetooth syncs with my phone.
4. Does the OS of your notebook matter at all in tethering the phone to the notebook? I'm thinking about moving to Apple and wanted to know if this would make a difference.

Mike Temporale
11-30-2006, 02:39 PM
1. Do you have to pay extra for EDGE or 3G or is this just a matter of your phone's capabilities and the availability of service in the given area?

I think it's just a matter of what your phone supports. I don't have a 3G device yet, so I can't say otherwise. But I'm pretty sure it's all up to the phone.

2. I see many people 'abuse' medianet unlimited? What are the limits of the abuse that I could get away with.

No idea. We'll need someone on Cingular to answer that question.

3. How difficult is it to connect to the net using one's phone connection? I've never tried but would like to. Unfortunately, I seem to have problems getting bluetooth syncs with my phone.

Depends on a lot of things. I never had a problem with my 5600 and my old ThinkPad, but I haven't attempted it on my i320 and Dell Latitude. Overall, it shouldn't be difficult. IIRC, once the devices are paired you just setup a dial up connection on your laptop. I could be off on this, but it's not that hard.

4. Does the OS of your notebook matter at all in tethering the phone to the notebook? I'm thinking about moving to Apple and wanted to know if this would make a difference.

OS Shouldn't matter as long as it supports Bluetooth DUN connections. No idea if apple does or not. You should know that there is no ActiveSync for Mac. You'll need to buy a 3rd party solution.