View Full Version : Lack of Voice Command

bystander
10-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Does anyone know why the SmartPhone does not have MS Voice Command available?

It would seem ideal to have the bluetooth headset enabled and look up contacts or control Media Player or access other programs as we can for the PocketPC platform.

I know that the software is different but it would seem a valuable tool for users to have in their devices.

Thanks for any comments ....
:?:

Mike Temporale
10-09-2006, 02:53 AM
Agreed. Their is no reason that I can think of. :(

Sven Johannsen
10-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Maybe the reason is that BT headset support is not built into Voice Command. There was a nice blog entry over on the MS site that detailed the decision to not support BT as it did (does?) not have the fidelity for true voice recognition.

So possibly there was a decision to not provide it for smartphones, since it wouldn't work with headsets as would be expected. A lot of cell phones have their own voice dial capability anyway.

I know work has been done to add BT support, so maybe a SP version may be in the wings.

hawkwd
10-21-2006, 01:53 AM
Not only does it not come with the current Cingular 3125, but you can not even buy it and install it. I tried and there is no way to install it.

Hey, it didn't work with the headset on my old Motorola Mpx2200 either & it didn't stop them from including it then...

If anyone comes up with a way to install in on the current 3125 unit, please let me know...

Sven Johannsen
10-24-2006, 04:41 AM
Hey, it didn't work with the headset on my old Motorola Mpx2200 either & it didn't stop them from including it then...The Voice Recognition software on the MPX220 was not MS Voice Command.

hawkwd
03-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Ture... The Voice recognition software on the MPx220 was NOT MS Voice Recognition. I have not been able to find out for sure, but I believe it is a piece of software owned by Sony. It's a shame too, because the MPx220 had without a doubt the best VR I have ever used (on a phone or on a PC). I found a VR program that will work on the 3125, but it does not compare at all to what was on the MPx220.

Hopefully someone will come up with a comparable product someday.

Sven Johannsen
03-08-2007, 04:18 AM
Since this old thread has been dredged up, it may be worth noting that MS Voice Command v1.6 does indeed work on SmartPhones, and with BT headsets. Don't think it works on the old MPX220, but it certainly will on the 3125. Works on my SmartFlip, though it is a bit of a memory hit as it needs to be installed to the device.

Terry Pickett
05-14-2007, 02:10 AM
Yes, I installed Voice Command 1.6 for Smartphones.

It installed easily and works very well.

You have to get used to the basic commands, how close to hold the phone but I like it. One of my better purchases.