View Full Version : My 2125 appears to have died...

ieubts
08-01-2006, 03:18 PM
The phone won't "boot". Gets stuck at the cingular logo "hello"....after the windows mobile screen. Anyway I thought I'd ask here if this phone has any history of this behavior. Its the best device I've ever used. Cingular was no help (however they will exchange it).

Tried removing battery while phone is on....or trying to come on. Thought maybe I could reinstall the firmware, but I can't get a connection to my PC unliess the phone boots all the way. Anyway..any ideas? Is there a reset button? Thanks.

Jerry Raia
08-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Here is how to Hard Reset the 2125:

Hold down both soft keys and then press the Power button. Keep holding down the keys. The Cingular splash screen should come up. Keep holding down the keys for a couple of more seconds. The screen should turn black with some text in white letters asking you to press 0 to complete the hard reset. At this point release the three keys and press zero to confirm the hard reset. Any other key press will cancel the reset and continue with the normal boot process.

I hope that helps.

onlydarksets
08-01-2006, 05:52 PM
I had this problem with my 5600, to the point that I couldn't even hard reset. Cingular XBM fixed it though, by sending me a 2125!

ieubts
08-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Yes, I've tried the "press and hold softkeys" while pressing the power button....with the phone on....with the phone off...releaseing the power button first...releasing the softkeys first......no joy. Anyway, cingular is sending me another phone. I really believe its a software problem and if there was a way to "flash" it, I think it would let me start from scratch. But ASync won't recognize it in the state its in. Funny thing...even though the phone is "hung" at the cingular logo, it does notify (buzz) me I have vmail...which I can retrieve from a land line. It doesn't ring for a call though.....strange.

Jerry Raia
08-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Well at least Cingular is taking care of you. How long have you had the phone?

ieubts
08-01-2006, 07:18 PM
I got it on June 25th....and I love it. Small, yet it does it all. I used a Treo for a year and a Blackberry for a year, and its great to stay connected without a half pound brick in your pocket. I'll admit, I've been doing a lot of "tweaking" of the phone (moving files around...synching from multiple computers, etc). I think I confused the file structure and now it won't boot. That's why I think there is probably a way to reinstall the firmware, but Cingular's solution is to send a new phone. I guess I'll be careful with the new one....but its so fun to play!

onlydarksets
08-01-2006, 08:33 PM
I got it on June 25th....and I love it. Small, yet it does it all. I used a Treo for a year and a Blackberry for a year, and its great to stay connected without a half pound brick in your pocket. I'll admit, I've been doing a lot of "tweaking" of the phone (moving files around...synching from multiple computers, etc). I think I confused the file structure and now it won't boot. That's why I think there is probably a way to reinstall the firmware, but Cingular's solution is to send a new phone. I guess I'll be careful with the new one....but its so fun to play!

Dude, just take it back to any Cingular store. You are close enough to the 30 day return window that they will most likely do an exchange for you, which gives you a new 30 day return window. I did this twice because I had problems with 2 different 2125s. Each time the problem arose on the 30-35th day after I purchased it, and each time they did the exchange.

ieubts
08-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, 1st they sent me to a Cingular store but that didn't fly because I bought it from a 3rd party (Cellular Choices). Anyway, the replacement is arriving today via Fedex.......paid a $6 surcharge for overnight.

onllydarksets......I'm curious as to what happened with your phones. I'll have to look into a different handset if the 2125 is prone to failure.

thanks...

onlydarksets
08-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeah, 1st they sent me to a Cingular store but that didn't fly because I bought it from a 3rd party (Cellular Choices). Anyway, the replacement is arriving today via Fedex.......paid a $6 surcharge for overnight.

onllydarksets......I'm curious as to what happened with your phones. I'll have to look into a different handset if the 2125 is prone to failure.

thanks...

The first one had a known problem with the headset jack (I had the same problem on a 5600), which is that it would get stuck in the headset profile even after you remove the jack.

The second one the joystick stopped working.

I'm on the third, and the joystick is starting to get problematic. I like the directional pad on the 5600 much better.

EDIT: I wouldn't say it's problematic - these are just two problems I have encountered with each unit that bother me based on how I use the phones. I ride the subway each day and use the headset a lot. I also play Sudoku (Smoresoft plug here (http://smoresoft.com/sudoku/)), which puts a decent amount of usage on the joystick. I didn't have either problem with my Moto MP220, but that phone had real problems and would be characterized as "problematic".