View Full Version : Issues with email on Storage Card...

billcalle
07-08-2006, 09:03 PM
I've modified my registry per previous posts so that email and attachments are stored on my storage card. For the most part, this works well. Every once in a while, however, after power cycling the phone I end up with a directory called Storage Card and subdirectories for the email and attachments, and most importantly the normal Storage Card gets renamed Storage Card 2. Besides being annoying (suddenly email and attachments are back on the phone instead of the storage card) it also breaks all of the installed applications that are normally stored on the Storage Card. It seems like if I delete the directory and reboot the phone it usually goes away, but sometimes it takes multiple reboots. Anyone else seen this problem? :?:

Jerry Raia
07-09-2006, 01:04 AM
I have never seen this. What device do you have?

Kris Kumar
07-09-2006, 04:48 AM
Does the Storage Card registry hack for email really work? I thought it had problems, though I don't remember seeing anything like what you have mentioned. But it has not worked for me on the WM 2003 SE device.

At the same time I have not tried it on a WM 5.0 device.

Like Jerry, I would like to know about the device that you have.

billcalle
07-09-2006, 06:31 PM
I have two devices and I have seen the problem on both. The first device is a 2125 with the latest ROM upgrade (yes, the text entry problem is a pain) and the second device is an iMate SP5. The email registry hack works great, with this minor exception. Fortunately I don't reboot the phone often, so once it is up and working things are fine, but when I do power cycle I need to be very careful.

My guess would be that this is a power up race condition, i.e. the email subsystem is trying to get its storage configured but the card hasn't been recognized yet, so a folder is created named Storage Card. By the time the storage card is recognized, the normal name is taken so a Storage Card 2 name is assigned. At least that sounds reasonable to me.

I was hoping others had seen it and might know of a workaround or fix...

Jerry Raia
07-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Sorry I misread your first post. I thought you were just saving the attachments to the card. You might want to be careful with this trick at any rate. Reports of corrupted storage cards after using this trick for a while are floating around.