View Full Version : Steve Ballmer's Thoughts on What will Move the Microsoft Stock

Kris Kumar
04-03-2006, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/04/03/8373041/index.htm' target='_blank'>http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/04/03/8373041/index.htm</a><br /><br /></div>Fortune magazine in a recent interview with Steve Ballmer asked the Microsoft CEO the big question, <i>"what might get your stock moving?"</i> And this is how Steve answered the question:<br /><br /><i>"We've got companies like AT&amp;T (Research) and Verizon (Research) driving this Internet television stuff very aggressively. If you can get a few bucks a month on a lot of televisions around the world, that's a pretty darn big opportunity. <b>Same thing for Windows Mobile, where we're a negligible player but we have real market traction for the first time.</b> The stuff we announced today has quite a nice growth profile. Frankly, our competition in the business market is more absent than not."</i><br /><br />So according to Steve, IPTV and Windows Mobile will offer Microsoft the much needed avenues for growth and increased cash flow. Our readers will agree that Windows Mobile in the cell phone market has not been tapped by Microsoft yet and offers plenty of opportunity. What bothers me, and I am sure that concern is shared by our readers, is that how come Microsoft has not launched the much needed advertising campaign for the Windows Mobile Smartphones and Pocket PC Phone edition devices? The only Windows Mobile advertising that I see on TV is for the Verizon Treo 700w. How come other Microsoft partners like Cingular, T-Mobile or Sprint-Nextel are not offering similar advertisements? What about Microsoft itself? For Windows Vista, Microsoft will be launching a massive advertising ahead of its launch; but for Windows Mobile a product that is real and now available in the market, we do not see any marketing campaign. Recently Microsoft did launch a <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=68307">campaign in the UK,</a> but we need more main stream media advertising. Microsoft needs to generate more brand awareness. So what do our readers think will move the Microsoft stock and Windows Mobile of the shelves?

Rocco Augusto
04-03-2006, 12:06 AM
what i would like to see are some nice billboards while driving down the highway for some windows mobile phones. make em simple. music, video, phone, ipod killer, etc. something catchy that wont cause an accident.

something like that wouldn't cost very much to deploy, compared to a commercial, and would be eye catching and not to mention more than what we have now as far as advertisments go.

who knows, maybe they could grab a little bit of that nokia market share ;)

Jerry Raia
04-03-2006, 12:08 AM
These folks at MS need a wake up call. I work with people who are more gadget savvy than most and few of them know the difference between a Palm, a Blackberry and a Pocket PC. In fact most of the time when I am tinkering with one of my devices I get asked, "Is that a Blackberry?" With 100 bazillion dollars in their back pockets why can't they get the word out?

Rocco Augusto
04-03-2006, 12:13 AM
i think the real problem is microsoft looks at numbers and right now the numbers show that nokia/symbian own over 80% of the market for smartphones.

i think what microsoft needs is a hug, a nice big hug and for someone to tell them that they are good enough. im sure this all has to do with low self esteem. sure Windows Mobile isn't the big player on the block but that doesn't make it any less of a operating system. you are good, Windows Mobile. I personally prefer you over other smartphone/PIM operating systems and once you start believing in yourself and marketing yourself others will feel the same way.

i know, i know. not everyone is going to like you and you know what? thats perfectly alright as long as you like you. now go out there and be somebody! :) :lol:

(sorry, that extra hour of sleep keeps me sane :( )

Mike Temporale
04-03-2006, 01:26 AM
I would love to see more advertising. However, I think we're stuck at this level because of past legal issues. If they go out as the underdog and start posting "iPod Killer", "No NOC Required", "Have it all, for less", etc... you will see the anti-trust brigade lining up at their door screaming foul. The advertising may be true, it doesn't require a NOC, it does everything a Nano does, and it's a cellphone too!, and you can have it all for less than those other products. But the competition is just waiting for them to step out and push the envelope.

Personally, I think they are playing it low. Waiting for word of mouth to spread, gain momentum slowly. Most likely when they have a good piece of the pie, they will really turn things on. Say 35 or 40%. Until then, it's play it safe time. :(

Kris Kumar
04-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Interesting take.

But would the anti-trust be an issue to concerned about even if Microsoft is a minor player in the cell phone market?

Mike Temporale
04-03-2006, 01:45 AM
But would the anti-trust be an issue to concerned about even if Microsoft is a minor player in the cell phone market?

They were a minor player in the browser, PDA, Office document, markets at one point too. When you're big, successful, and have lots of money, people seem to find any reason to sue you. They're a target, so they need to make sure they aren't overly aggressive.

This is just my take on things.

Rocco Augusto
04-03-2006, 03:34 AM
thats where me and microsoft differ. i would go all denzel on everyone: "king kong ain't got *beep* on me!"