View Full Version : How to choose?

rokitrod
02-21-2006, 02:03 AM
I have a verizon contract (with my phone) and I've used a pocketpc for years. I would like to research current hardware and hardware that may be coming out that will allow me to combine my Pocketpc and my phone but I'm confused. I'm not sure what hardware is or will be compatible with verizon. Furthermore i'm concerned about the different operating systems??? do I need a smartphone? windows mobile? pocket pc?? What is the best resource for this?

Mike Temporale
02-21-2006, 02:33 AM
Windows Mobile is made up of 3 different types A) Pocket PC, B) Smartphone, and C) Automotive. Now, I'm pretty sure you don't need the Automotive version. ;) So you're left with two choices - Windows Mobile Pocket PC, and Windows Mobile Smartphone.

Smartphones are a phone first and data second. So they are meant for one-handed operation, and lack a touch screen.

Pocket PCs are data first and phone second. These are not very good at the one-handed operation. Typically you need to hold the device in one hand and punch away on the screen with the other.

As for Verizon, they currently have the Treo 700w Pocket PC Phone Edition, and they are expected to release the Motorola Q Smartphone shortly. So you can choose whatever device is best for you. :D

rokitrod
03-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I purchased the VX6700 and I really like the unit, ultimately I think that I would have been better off with a phone type unit because the vx6700 so large, its also hard to get accustomed to dialing.

I switched from a phone because It was difficult to export and sync my data, I also thought that it would be nice to consolidate the units.

I'll keep trying this but I think I'll search for a phone that will sync with active sync and keep a seperate unit for my pocket pc functions.

Mike Temporale
03-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Check out the Cingular 2125 or if you would prefer an unbranded device, check out the i-mate lineup. :)

rokitrod
03-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks but I'm locked into verizon for at least another year

Mike Temporale
03-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks but I'm locked into verizon for at least another year

Then keep your eye out for the new Moto Q. If it ever gets released. ;)