View Full Version : Does Media Net get you both GPRS and EDGE?

twestley
01-19-2006, 12:51 AM
The Cingular site is fine for checking your minutes, seeing your bill, and buying stuff, but just horrible for answering questions. I just can't find a definitive answer to which package(s) provide EDGE on a smartphone such as the 2125.

Can I get the unlimited media net? Does it automatically switch between GPRS and EDGE as available?

stonetumbler
01-19-2006, 09:31 AM
All of the available data plans from Cingular provide EDGE (i.e. Media Net Unlimited, pay-per-use, PDA Connect Unlimited, etc...). EDGE is *the* data network that Cingular provides (with UMTS/HSDPA on its heels). There are only a few areas in the US where the legacy Cingular network elements have not been upgraded to support EDGE, and those areas have overlap with legacy AT&T Wireless that had EDGE in *all* of its covered markets. So, if your device is not getting EDGE speeds (roughly twice dial-up speeds, depending on your device class), and you have decent enough signal strength, there's either something wrong with the device, or there's a network issue (or you're outside of the US in a country that only has GPRS).

flwolf
01-24-2006, 02:44 PM
I just got a 2125. I'm only getting 10kb/sec speed with Edge. The phone displays the "E" for edge but it's darn slow. Cingular claims an average of 70 to 130. Why would I not get faster speeds?