View Full Version : I want the E on my icon bar!!! (EDGE Settings???)

encece
12-24-2005, 03:35 AM
If I see the E on another screenshot, I'm going to scream!!!!

I'm in the philadelphia area and not sure if I'm experiencing EDGE speeds or not as I dont get the E.

Can anyone post their 2125 settings so I can see if they are pointing somewhere else???

Please include the GPRS settings, Proxy Settings and IE Settings.
Thanks.

Mike Temporale
12-24-2005, 03:43 AM
Yeah! I want to know more about this EDGE thing. I was under the impression that there is nothing to change on the device, provided you have an EDGE enabled device.

encece
12-24-2005, 03:49 AM
That's whaqt I was told by Cingular and others!!! :evil:

Kris Kumar
12-25-2005, 04:02 PM
I am using the same settings as the one in your post over here. (http://smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7092) ;-)

I occassionally have trouble with the EDGE session unable to reconnect. I have to hit the hang-up key twice on the home screen to get rid of the little E and then re-start the surfing or email download. So I had to go in to verify my settings and found them to be the same as the one mentioned in your post.

I wonder if it is something to do with the Settings->Phone->Networks or something over in that area.

I also could not find where I can specify 800\1900 instead of Auto (which means 900\1800 and 800\1900).

Kris Kumar
12-25-2005, 04:04 PM
BTW..I resisted posting the screen shot of my home screen with E.

(Sorry cannot resist: travelled 250 miles yesterday and had E all along the way). 8)

I think I here someone screaming - "EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.."

Kris Kumar
12-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Oh forgot. I think the Settings->Connections should not matter. I mean the GPRS and Proxy etc should not matter.

The E or G is something that the radio stack picks up. The Settings->Connections only directs the access to GPRS or EDGE network. It is kind a like a proxy server for internet access.

You should see E or G regardless of the settings. I remember seeing G when I had the SP3i and it did not have any settings.

Kris Kumar
12-26-2005, 06:07 PM
I guess I have found the answer...According this post on Howard Forums. (http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=805915)

Setting the registry "EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon" value to DWORD 1 in "HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL" will do the trick.

It seems the SP5m does not have different icons! Simple answer. You probably were getting E speeds all along. :lol:

Mike Temporale
12-27-2005, 01:56 AM
I guess I have found the answer...According this post on Howard Forums. (http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=805915)

Setting the registry "EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon" value to DWORD 1 in "HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL" will do the trick.

It seems the SP5m does not have different icons! Simple answer. You probably were getting E speeds all along. :lol:

Ok, if this is true, that's just plain silly. I'll be making this change tonight and we'll see what happens. :?

Kris Kumar
12-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Just confirmed that on my 2125, I do have the EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon value field set to 1. :)

Hope it works for you guys.

Mike Temporale
12-27-2005, 01:42 PM
I made the change last night and haven't noticed an E yet. Not really surprised. Maybe once I get out of the house things will change. I'll let you know if I see an E.

Rocco Augusto
01-15-2006, 02:03 AM
I made the change last night and haven't noticed an E yet. Not really surprised. Maybe once I get out of the house things will change. I'll let you know if I see an E.

i would try power cycling the phone and if that fails hit the hang up button a couple times to clear the G icon away and bring you back to the antenna and then walk around to see if you can get EDGE. i dunno if this will help but i do know for the first couple days i had my phone i wouldnt get the EDGE icon at all and then one day I got it and it hasnt left. dont know what i did but im sure i did what i just described since i just discovered how to do it

Kris Kumar
01-15-2006, 04:51 AM
Now that you mention it, you are right about the Smartphone training itself to get EDGE. I also used to see GPRS at times on the first two days of its operation. But now I haven't seen it. I dont even know what G looks like. :-)

But in Mike's case, Mike should confirm with the carrier if they have EDGE in his area. Because he is not enabling EDGE on his Smartphone, he is merely enabling the icon. He has had the Smartphone for a few days before he enabled the registry hack for showing the E icon. ;-)

Rocco Augusto
01-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Now that you mention it, you are right about the Smartphone training itself to get EDGE. I also used to see GPRS at times on the first two days of its operation. But now I haven't seen it. I dont even know what G looks like. :-)

it looks like this - G. ;) :lol:

Mike Temporale
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
Well, I still haven't seen a E. ;) I think it's carrier related. :(