View Full Version : One in Seven Mobile Phones Goes Wrong Within a Year

Kris Kumar
08-11-2005, 12:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://trial.which.co.uk/audio_visual_equipment.php?m_id=80&source_code=j8uw04' target='_blank'>http://trial.which.co.uk/audio_visual_equipment.php?m_id=80&source_code=j8uw04</a><br /><br /></div><i>"According to Which? findings, at least two million of the 18 million mobile phones sold in the UK last year could have been faulty. Handsets are most likely to go wrong during the first six months. ... Some handset brands themselves have more problems than others. Motorola and Sony Ericsson handsets were the most likely to go wrong; about a fifth of owners reported faults. Nokia and Samsung were the most reliable, although about one in ten users still had faulty phones. To make it worse, people are finding it difficult to get problems put right. By law, if a phone develops a fault within six months and the shop can't show it was the customer's fault, the shop must sort out the problem. However, over a quarter of people surveyed said they were unhappy with the way their mobile phone problem was handled. "</i><br /><br />Our readers I am sure will not be too surprised by the findings made by the <a href="http://trial.which.co.uk/audio_visual_equipment.php?m_id=80&amp;source_code=j8uw04">Which?</a> magazine of UK. And the fact that Motorola made it to the top, will also not surprise the Smartphone users. ;-) The one thing that the report did not state was the nature of the problems, whether it was hardware or software based. I am guessing that it was mostly software problems and configuration issues. Wish a similar study was available for the US market. What are your thoughts?

Mike Temporale
08-11-2005, 02:05 PM
By the sounds of it, I'm guessing that this is just hardware related problems. "faulty" is more often used to describe broken hardware than broken software.

I'm really surprised that it's such a low number. I have never had problems with any of my phones, but maybe my time is coming. 8O

Jerry Raia
08-11-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm sure Moto is celebrating that they made it to the top of something at least! :lol:

Kris Kumar
08-11-2005, 02:33 PM
By the sounds of it, I'm guessing that this is just hardware related problems. "faulty" is more often used to describe broken hardware than broken software.

I am guessing that it is software. Sony Ericsson is known for software problems. I had T68i and it had to be sent to the service center for software upgrade.

I have never had problems with any of my phones, but maybe my time is coming. 8O

I think we are tolerant. :-) We recover from most of the software issues.

Mike Temporale
08-11-2005, 02:39 PM
I am guessing that it is software. Sony Ericsson is known for software problems. I had T68i and it had to be sent to the service center for software upgrade.

Really? I never had any problems with my T68i. It's still going strong to this day - I passed it along to my wife, and now it's been passed along to my brother. :?

Jerry Raia
08-11-2005, 02:49 PM
I think we are tolerant. :-) We recover from most of the software issues.

I think we are way too tolerant. I'm glad more light is being shined on these guys. Maybe it will wake them up?

Kris Kumar
08-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Really? I never had any problems with my T68i. It's still going strong to this day - I passed it along to my wife, and now it's been passed along to my brother. :?

You may have had the newer software right from the get go. For me the interface was sloooooooooow. The Contacts used to freeze (had only 250 entries). And the phone had trouble dialing out at times. :-( Had to power down and power up once every two days.

Post upgrade it is fine. I handed it over to dad and he loves it. And it is going strong, I believe its the third year or maybe more.

surfer
08-12-2005, 10:21 AM

You may have had the newer software right from the get go. For me the interface was sloooooooooow. The Contacts used to freeze (had only 250 entries). And the phone had trouble dialing out at times. :-( Had to power down and power up once every two days.

Post upgrade it is fine. I handed it over to dad and he loves it. And it is going strong, I believe its the third year or maybe more.

Heck I had one of the first t68i released here in Sweden and it never caused me any problem it's now in my sisters hands and we have together used it for four years straight. So perhaps your right I had a newer software installed.

Kris Kumar
08-12-2005, 12:56 PM
The other thing is that depending on the carrier, the software version and features and operations vary. My phone branded as T-Mobile.