View Full Version : Looking for a few comments about the mpx-220

John Cody
06-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Hey all,

Well, verizon just pushed me too far...

I just "upgraded" my i600 to the newer 2003 OS (I know, I waited a long time:), and now I have a serious problem (to me at least). I am always recording voice notes <plug> using my app "Vnotes" </plug>, and the mic volume is way too low to be useful. I mean, I have to practically scream into the mic, then have the playback volume set to max, then hold my ear to the speaker to make out what I said!

The mic volume was fine when I had the 2002 OS, so I didn't think it was the hardware at fault. But, verizon still had to send me 2 exchange phones, and they both had the same problem. I eventually called samsung and they confirmed it to be a problem, and they also confirmed they will not be fixing it :(

Since I need this feature to be working, I have to ditch the i600, and I am seriously thinking about switching to the mpx-220. My friend has the 5600, and it is a great phone, it's just that my preference is flip vs. candy bar. Another friend has the mpx-220, so I have played with it, and the only thing what I didn't like, but could live with, was the kinda-saturated display as if the contrast was set too low, but the screen was very bright.

So, I have tried to follow all the threads in this forum, but I am kind of confused about some issues and was hoping someone could shed some light on them:

1) Have all the issues (especially volume and camera) been fixed with the latest ROM version?

1a) What is the latest ROM version that I should make sure I get?

1b) Besides turning the phone on, I think I heard that there was a way to figure out the rom version via a colored sticker on the box...what color should I look for?

2) Where do you recommend I buy one from?

3) Am I forgetting any other issue?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

-John Cody
Verizon -> Cingular switcher!

Mike Temporale
06-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Hey John,

I don't know what to recommend to you. I've read a lot of posts as of late regarding people jumping ship from the MPx220 to the Audiovox. In fact, I don't even think that Cingular is offering the MPx220 at the moment. (I could be wrong about this, but it appears to have been pulled from most - if not all - online retailers.) There have been a number of people commenting on how they called Cingular for repairs or replacements of their MPx220 only to be told that Cingular will replace it with the Audiovox SMT5600. :?

The coloured sticker was done back in the early days of the MPx220 when there was more than one ROM version in the production channels. I don't know if they are still stickering the box or not.

I know that this doesn't offer much insight to your questions, but I hope it has helped in some way. :)

HalM
06-17-2005, 11:02 PM
As the contrarian on the forum, let me say that the MPx220 is great. I have had all 4 ROMS and not a serious problem. Power cycle the phone daily and I bet you won't either.

Read my entire evaluation here:
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8566

Mike Temporale
06-18-2005, 01:55 AM
Ya, I guess I'm always beating up Motorola. Maybe things would be different if I had one around here to play with. I'm just not will ing to drop the coin on something that might turn out to be a dud. :?

John Cody
06-18-2005, 02:34 AM
Hey Mike and HalM,

Well, I just picked one up (an mpx-220) - My local Cingular dealer had like 3 in stock.

I like it, except for these issues:

1) The speakerphone speaker crackels when the volume is set to a usuable (max) level.
2) The screen is kinda over-saturated, with not a lot of contrast. You have to tilt it slightly to the right (so you are viewing from a slight left angle) to get the higher contrast, but this is not a natural/preferred thing to do.
3) It seems to force running apps to quit prematurely, even when there is plenty of avail ram. FIXED: I just figured out the cause of this issue and a fix for it here: http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=55498#55498

The current version is 1.30, but I will update it to 1.43 when the motorola update tool gets back on line tomorrow.

Overall, it gives me the following benifits over my i600:
1) Smaller and lighter.
2) Bluetooth for hands-Free kits and GPS.
3) Camera (albiet not so great, but better then nothing)

Now, hopefully I won run into the mic-off problem too much ;)

Thanks for responding guys.

HalM
06-18-2005, 11:13 AM
John, I found a very nice utility on this forum a few months ago: Tweaks2k2. It will allow you to make several nice changes to the phone including True Type with out hacking the registry.
http://www.tweaks2k2.com/portal/staticpages/index.php?page=20050317130430805

John Cody
06-18-2005, 01:50 PM
John, I found a very nice utility on this forum a few months ago: Tweaks2k2. It will allow you to make several nice changes to the phone including True Type with out hacking the registry.
http://www.tweaks2k2.com/portal/staticpages/index.php?page=20050317130430805

I have that app too, and a friend of mine also wrote a free reg-hack version here:

http://www.airfagev.com/forum_view.asp?nav=1&msg_id=23717&referer=forum_topics.asp?code=all

But neither had this adjustment, so I am very thankful to the guys over at howard forums for finding this :)

Sven Johannsen
06-18-2005, 03:44 PM
The current version is 1.30, but I will update it to 1.43 when the motorola update tool gets back on line tomorrow.

Where'd you here this? I just looked at Moto's site and it still says 1.30 and the tool is down. I'm kind of hesitant to go using the ones you can find floating around.

John Cody
06-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Where'd you here this? I just looked at Moto's site and it still says 1.30 and the tool is down. I'm kind of hesitant to go using the ones you can find floating around.

On this page:

http://direct.motorola.com/ENS/softwareupdate.asp

It says in the top left corner "...If you have 1.430, you are at the latest software version..."

A rep told me yesterday that they are working on the issue, and it would be up today somtime, but since this is a weekend, I doubt it.

Sven Johannsen
06-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks for that link. If you go to Motorola and search for MPX220, about the second hit sends you to
http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hellomoto/experience/mpx220/flash/softupdate.shtml
which still says 1.30 is current. Neither let you get to the update tool, but I actually have that already loaded. Running it results in it telling me my 1.30 is current. Guess I'll be patient.

Jerry Raia
06-19-2005, 10:29 PM
Ya, I guess I'm always beating up Motorola. Maybe things would be different if I had one around here to play with. I'm just not will ing to drop the coin on something that might turn out to be a dud. :?

If you had one you'd be beating up on them even more :)

Trust me on this one :wink:

AMelis
06-23-2005, 04:35 AM
Thanks for that link. If you go to Motorola and search for MPX220, about the second hit sends you to
http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hellomoto/experience/mpx220/flash/softupdate.shtml
which still says 1.30 is current. Neither let you get to the update tool, but I actually have that already loaded. Running it results in it telling me my 1.30 is current. Guess I'll be patient.Try it again. It is up.

AMelis
06-23-2005, 04:39 AM

If you had one you'd be beating up on them even more :)

Trust me on this one :wink:
Going to disagree with you on this one, Jerry. With the new ROM (1.43) , the MPx220 is getting to realize its full potential. It is stable, and most if not all of the points that have been criticized have been fixed. Faster, too.

BTW, check HoFo, the Chinese ROM 3.45 seems to be the best and most stable of the lot. Find Omega2008 posts and go to his blog for detailed directions..... :D

John Cody
06-23-2005, 04:51 AM
Try it again. It is up.

I just tried it:

And its still says "unavailable".

What link are you saying is up?

Jerry Raia
06-23-2005, 04:54 AM
Look, I'm glad they finally got it right after 3 or more ROMs. I'm just not gonna cut Moto any slack for being so sloppy. They should know how to make it right. To make a piece of junk and then deny its flawed is pathetic. To put customers through the mess they did is not forgivable. I loved the form factor of that phone but at some point I chose function over form. The 5600 was done well. The 220 was done poorly to say the least. I'm a fan of the Mobile OS we have here. I'm not a fan of weak manufacturing and weak corporate excuses.

AMelis
06-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Try it again. It is up.

I just tried it:

And its still says "unavailable".

What link are you saying is up?
Dang. Sorry. Yeah, that link. Which ROM version are you looking for?

sslbun
06-23-2005, 09:19 AM
try *LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR*

Mike Temporale
06-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Sorry guys. We don't allow links to illegal ROMs. We respect manufacturers and their copyright. Thanks! :D

John Cody
06-23-2005, 12:44 PM

I'm looking for the 1.43, because everyone seems to agree it is the best so far.

AMelis
06-24-2005, 02:19 AM
I'm looking for the 1.43, because everyone seems to agree it is the best so far.
John

1.43 as of now, is the only one officialy released by Moto for the MPx220. If you use the Moto online update tool, it will select Blue or Orange as appropriate and install the update and restore your goodies. There are two other ROMs in the wild, both Chinese, 3.45 and 3.46, and while many claim that they are more stable, there are problems with coverting to English and the font. Both are fixable, what is not possible with the with the addresses, which are listed with the zip code first. They are, after all, Chinese! :lol:

These are installed with an off line tool, but that will not save anything, and its legally is questionable as it can install unofficial copies and frankenROMs. I think it could be used to install legitimate copies, as in the case of the officially released 1.43, but I respect Mike's rules. Not to mention the possibility of ending up with a brick. So search on your own, sorry.

1.43 does provide much improved sound all around, a better camera (no more sucky than other cell phones) and nice to have items like an outside LED that flips upside down when open.

As it is offline at the moment, I think that you can expect a new release momentarily. There is still room for improvement.

John Cody
06-24-2005, 02:28 AM
1.43 does provide much improved sound all around, a better camera (no more sucky than other cell phones) and nice to have items like an outside LED that flips upside down when open.

As it is offline at the moment, I think that you can expect a new release momentarily. There is still room for improvement.

Thanks AMelis for the detailed info :)

I do have one more quick question...does the 1.43 rom fix the problem of the mic turning off when making/answering a call? I've had this happen to me a few more times then I would have liked :?

AMelis
06-24-2005, 04:59 AM

Thanks AMelis for the detailed info :)

I do have one more quick question...does the 1.43 rom fix the problem of the mic turning off when making/answering a call? I've had this happen to me a few more times then I would have liked :?
OK, you mean flipping the phone open and answering the call? If that, I have never had the mic switch off.

There are some irritants that it does not touch: the Bluetooth stack still does not allow BT headset voice command, and you still cannot close the phone to use the speakerphone mode without hanging up, and to some people the handset ear speaker is so loud that it distorts the sound. But I never had the mic drop a call.

:arrow: Check your PM :!:

John Cody
06-24-2005, 05:19 AM
OK, you mean flipping the phone open and answering the call? If that, I have never had the mic switch off.

There are some irritants that it does not touch: the Bluetooth stack still does not allow BT headset voice command, and you still cannot close the phone to use the speakerphone mode without hanging up, and to some people the handset ear speaker is so loud that it distorts the sound. But I never had the mic drop a call.

Actually, the mic has turned off when I was placing calls. I did see this problem reported by someone else, but I forgot where.

Thanks for the info.

sslbun
06-24-2005, 09:17 AM
the mic on my mpx220 used to just cut out occasionally too. i had to remove the battery and reboot to get it to work again.

also, the phone would turn itself off with a full battery charge occasionally. this was starting to drive me nuts.

But it hasnt happened since i upgraded to 1.43. but also that was just 3 days ago.

John Cody
06-24-2005, 12:24 PM
the mic on my mpx220 used to just cut out occasionally too. i had to remove the battery and reboot to get it to work again.

also, the phone would turn itself off with a full battery charge occasionally. this was starting to drive me nuts.

But it hasnt happened since i upgraded to 1.43. but also that was just 3 days ago.

I am very glad to hear that :D

AMelis
06-24-2005, 01:11 PM

Actually, the mic has turned off when I was placing calls. I did see this problem reported by someone else, but I forgot where.

Thanks for the info.
Yep. 1.43 fixes that.

John Cody
06-25-2005, 02:45 PM
It figures...

After a week of waiting, I just resorted to using the 1.3 cingular rom from "somewhere else", and my phone flashed without a hitch.

Then, I accidently clicked on the motorola update link while I was attempting to delete it from my favorites list, and low and behold the online update was working!

Now, lets see if the volume and mic issues go away...

egads
06-27-2005, 04:46 PM
It figures...

After a week of waiting, I just resorted to using the 1.3 cingular rom from "somewhere else", and my phone flashed without a hitch.

Then, I accidently clicked on the motorola update link while I was attempting to delete it from my favorites list, and low and behold the online update was working!

Now, lets see if the volume and mic issues go away...

I just received my MPx220 Friday and updated to 1.43 and I've had no problems what so ever. The reception is much better than my Moto V180. I do miss how the ring tone volumes were done on the V180, I'm getting used to the volume profiles, but I like the way the V180 uses its ear piece volume buttons to lower/increase the volume when the phone of off hook. I could quickly hit the down button and put it in vibrate mode quickly.

Anyways, I really like the MPx220 so far. I'm sure I would have liked the AMT5600, but I really wanted a clam shell.