View Full Version : Cingular - AT&T Merger

HalM
03-27-2005, 03:47 PM
We are now 6 plus months since the "merger" yet there continue to be seperate stores, seperate service plans annd even different phones for the 2 brands. Can someone explain to me what is going on and if we will ever see one, combined wireless provider?

And what is this rumor about AT&T already trying to re-surface as a Sprint dealer / reseller?

uzumaki_79
05-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm keeping my SMT5600 and I'm keeping my ATT wireless plan.

We are now 6 plus months since the "merger" yet there continue to be seperate stores, seperate service plans annd even different phones for the 2 brands. Can someone explain to me what is going on and if we will ever see one, combined wireless provider?

And what is this rumor about AT&T already trying to re-surface as a Sprint dealer / reseller?

greghaz
05-30-2005, 07:53 PM
....internet from ATT for only $25/month during the 2-3 weeks this was possible back in Oct - Nov (ie: between the phone's availability with ATT and the Cingular takeover).
I recently wanted to add more minutes to my voice service and Cingular let me do this and KEEP my $25/month unlimited internet under the original two year ATT contract.
As you might imagine, I'm VERY PLEASED. :D

Rocco Augusto
05-31-2005, 07:46 AM
part of the agreement between att and cingular was that cingular would phase out the att brand name within a 6 month time period. this is why att sim cards wont work in cingular phones and cingular wants all the att customers to migrate.

the reason behind all of this is because att wireless was a sister company of att. at the time of the merger att wanted to get out of the wireless business altogether but still wanted the option of using the att wireless name in the future incase they decide to get back into the game.

there is a rumor going around if att does get back in the game they will do so on a cdma type of network (ala sprint, verizon). at this moment in time there is no talks of having another wireless startup and att have already stated if they do go that route it will not be for another 4-6 years.

hope that answers any confusion!
-opti-