View Full Version : Novice question

talinchka
03-26-2005, 04:00 PM
What is WAP? And are these directions for anyone who has unlocked a locked SMT 5600 to be used with Cingular? I just bought mine from Amazon, and will have to unlock it and go through all the settings once I get it. Not sure where to start.

Kris Kumar
03-27-2005, 05:15 AM
WAP stands for Wireless Access Protocol. It doesn't say much, does it?

It is similar to HTTP. HTTP enables you to view/surf webpages on a PC. Since mobile devices don't have the rich features of a PC, and since the communication pipe is different for mobile devices when compared to the PCs. So for mobile devices, there is WAP, it can be called a light weight HTTP. Like HTTP, it is an Internet standard for exchanging web page info.

Just as HTTP is associated with HTML (a language used to define/write web pages). WAP is associated with WML (Wireless Markup Language, which is used to define simple webpages aimed at mobile devices. They usually don't have images, and text based pages. And no complex input controls or options.)

WAP has no relation with the locking or unlocking of phones.

Phones that are locked work with only the carrier on which they were purchased. You are restricted to the voice and data plans associated with that carrier. Once you unlock the phone, you are free to switch the phone to another carrier and use a cheaper or better voice+data plan.

Hope that makes sense.

talinchka
03-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Thank you! it makes perfect sense. If my voice plan is through Cingular, would I have to use a cingular data plan? If not, do you have a recommendation for a better/cheaper data plan?

Thanks again.

Kris Kumar
03-27-2005, 11:41 PM
The voice and data plan have to be from the same carrier. In your case Cingular.

T-Mobile offers the cheapest data plan. $20 for unlimited Internet access. But for that you will have to switch to T-Mobile. And also T-Mobile's nationwide coverage is not good as Cingular's.

Jerry Raia
03-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Cingulars data plan is 19.95/mo unlimited. You can't use the phone as a modem though with that plan.

Mark Larson
03-30-2005, 01:47 AM
I thought the new $19.95 Medianet was restricted to 3MB?

Jerry Raia
03-30-2005, 07:39 AM
I'm not familiar with that plan name. I know I have the 19.95 plan I mentioned.

talinchka
03-30-2005, 11:16 PM
When I unlock my SMT 5600 (which finally arrived today), do I follow the directions with the SIM card that came with it (ATT) or with my Cingular SIM card?

Thanks!

Kris Kumar
03-31-2005, 01:29 AM
When I unlock my SMT 5600 (which finally arrived today), do I follow the directions with the SIM card that came with it (ATT) or with my Cingular SIM card?

Thanks!

It doesn't matter. You will be safe with both. :-)