View Full Version : Supported Bit Rates and CODECS - I Wonder?

Jason Dunn
08-22-2006, 05:59 PM
I wonder about what kind of bit rates and file formats the Zune will support? Since they're kind of doing their own thing, I'm hoping it won't be the same old boring WMA/WMV story. They know support for non-Microsoft codecs is vital for people to adopt the player quickly: if the Zune can play DivX, Xvid, MP3, OGG, WMA, WMV, and maybe even Quicktime or another MPEG4 variant, the player will get a lot more interest. That's one of the things I really like about the Zen Vision:M is the codec support.

I also wonder about bit rates and resolution support: 320 x 240 is fine for on-device viewing, but connect it to a TV and it's crap. Playing a 640 x 480 Divx file at 1500 kbps on my Zen Vision:M connected to a TV looks pretty good! I think the Zune needs to be able to match that in order for it to be successful.

Damion Chaplin
08-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Somehow I doubt it will support Quicktime.
And yeah, I'd say they at the very least need to match what's already on the market.

Phoenix
08-24-2006, 08:36 AM
I wholehartedly agree.

WeeJockMacFeegle
08-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Zune has a lot to live up to.

Apple and Creative have had a long time to work on their players to get them right. And let's face it, they're still not perfect.

Microsoft is going to have to get practically everything right first time in order to get any kind of decent market penetration. We all know how Microsoft are at getting it right first time. As the old saying goes, never touch a Microsoft product until it hits version 3. :)

Ideally they need to make Zune as open as possible. By having the widest possible codec bit-rate and resolution support they'll be opening their doors to practically all types of user.

Line-in and FM Radio will drag a number of people in too. Oh yeah, and USB On-The-Go for people to upload pics from their digital camera's would be great.

Fingers crossed though. I hope it does well. I like the look of Pocket Media Center. I really wanted a Gigabeat S (which Zune looks a lot like, apart from the different shaped controller) but they never made it to the UK.

idawgik
08-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Personally, I'm hoping it will still have some sort of Plays For Sure compatibility. I have a To-Go subscription with URGE and WMP11 that I love and honestly, compatibility with that is a deal breaker for me.

I know the Zune Store (or whatever it will be called) will have per-track purchases, but hopefully it will still be open enough to use music from other services as well.

*keeping fingers crossed*

Caliente
08-29-2006, 04:56 PM
great post weejockmacfeegle.

- Open Codec Support and fm radio will help tremendously.

- as for line in, are you talking about using the Zune as a dictaphone? That would be neat too, a small mic accessory similar to the ipod would be appreciated.

mrozema
11-14-2006, 09:47 PM
The ability to play streaming media, such as Shoutcast, over Wifi would be fantsatic!

Darius Wey
11-15-2006, 04:43 AM
Line-in and FM Radio will drag a number of people in too.

The Zune already has an FM radio. As for line-in, I like the concept, but I'm not sure if Microsoft would ever implement it, simply because the general consumer wouldn't have much use for it.

Edit: I guess this is a late reply. I didn't take notice of the post date. ;)

Darius Wey
11-15-2006, 04:51 AM
The ability to play streaming media, such as Shoutcast, over Wifi would be fantsatic!

Full streaming support over Wi-Fi is something that Microsoft is considering. Bill Gates confirmed yesterday that Microsoft would be adding plenty of "scenarios" to the Zune to give it greater functionality when wirelessly connected to PCs and Xbox 360s. Eventually, I can see the Xbox Live Video service and the Zune Marketplace coming together. You purchase a TV show and watch it on your Xbox 360, but you can also download it on to your Zune for viewing. Now that's potential. I have high hopes that it'll all be implemented one day.