View Full Version : ActiveSync 3.8 Now Available in 23 Languages

Mike Temporale
03-08-2005, 06:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync38.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync38.mspx</a><br /><br /></div>I'm not sure if this is new or not, but I think it's something that a fair amount of our readers would like know about and maybe even use. :wink: As well, I have to admit that I never realized ActiveSync wasn't available in multiple languages before. :oops: The complete list of languages can be found at the link above.

Jerry Raia
03-08-2005, 06:21 PM
So now the rest of the world can enjoy this wonderful smooth running piece of sh... software. :angel:

vincenzosi
03-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Wow Jerry... My initial reaction to the headline was "and it sucks in all of them!"

Jerry Raia
03-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Your sub headline works equally as well! :lol:

vincenzosi
03-08-2005, 07:36 PM
It is funny how we were thinking along the same lines.

Grizzled veterans, we are...

Jerry Raia
03-08-2005, 07:43 PM
That we must be! Seriously there is no excuse for AS to be as pathetic as it is for so long. It still works like it just came out yesterday in beta.

vincenzosi
03-08-2005, 07:52 PM
I don't get it. Palm has had synchronization right since the beginning. They let Chapura handle Outlook Synchronization, and even they did a better job than MS has done with Activesync.

Hotsync Manager works 100% of the time, every time. I'd easily sacrifice Autosyncing, the only advantage Activesync has, for a version of Activesync that's reliable.

Ugh. Let me not rant. Considering the small incremental improvements being made by MS, I don't think anyone is listening anyway.

dd-mj
03-08-2005, 11:24 PM
AS 3.8 has been out for several months. Maybe what is new is the language support.

I am as amazed as you that MS has not dramatically improved AS over the 3-4 years I have been using it.

The only real difference between AS 3.7 and AS 3.8 is a security patch for XP. I don't think they added any new features. They should have given it a minor rev number change.

I have heard that big changes are in the works, but I have not seen anything published yet. Funny thing is there really aren't any 3rd party AS replacements which stand out - or I might have switched years ago. Note there are some -but again they have not been trumpeted as a kill app.

vincenzosi
03-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Don't most of the replacements for AS require AS to be installed anyway?

Jerry Raia
03-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Yeah i have never seen a standalone third party application.

Jerry Raia
03-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Yeah i have never seen a standalone third party application.

Kris Kumar
03-09-2005, 02:00 AM
I am not sure if I agree with you guys.

Sync job is not a glamourous one. I mean you cannot add lots of bells 'n' whistles to it.

ActiveSync has delivered for many years now, a sync mechanism that is only now being matched by BlackBerry, Palm, Nokia and others.

I have used Pocket PC when it was launched and Palm-Handspring -BlackBerry devices when they were launched. Sync on Pocket PC was great back then. And on Palm and other devices [3-4 years ago] it was pathetic.

Kudos to Microsoft for getting the sync mechanism and protocol right in the first attempt. For other vendors it was one thing at a time. One field at a time.

I agree the UI has not changed and there are some bugs.

Mike Temporale
03-09-2005, 02:15 AM
I agree with Kris. I remember having nothing but headaches when I would try and get my wifes Handspring to sync. :evil:

While AS does have some problems, I think it's still the best.

Pennan
03-09-2005, 10:16 AM
AS 3.8 has been out for several months. Maybe what is new is the language support.

Yes, please read the headline again if you still have any doubts what the actual news is.

I have heard that big changes are in the works, but I have not seen anything published yet.

Let's hope ActiveSync 4.0 takes care of most of our feature requests. The sync features in Longhorn also seems interesting.

I don't get it. Palm has had synchronization right since the beginning. They let Chapura handle Outlook Synchronization, and even they did a better job than MS has done with Activesync.

Hotsync Manager works 100% of the time, every time. I'd easily sacrifice Autosyncing, the only advantage Activesync has, for a version of Activesync that's reliable.

My experience is the exact opposite. I have had touble with Palms, SonyEricssons and Nokias sync applications. But never with ActiveSync with my Pocket PC or Smartphone.

vincenzosi
03-09-2005, 01:31 PM
My experience is the exact opposite. I have had touble with Palms, SonyEricssons and Nokias sync applications. But never with ActiveSync with my Pocket PC or Smartphone.

You are one of a very small minority, my friend. Consider yourself fortunate!

Pennan
03-10-2005, 10:31 PM
You are one of a very small minority, my friend. Consider yourself fortunate!

Well, I'm not alone.
We have about 10 Smartphone users and 5 Pocket PC users at my work. We use Windows XP and Outlook 2003. I have not heard many complaints about syncing isssues. Most users prefer ActiveSync to other sync software.
The only minor problem I can remember is when Outlook 2003 puts a SPAM message in the Junk folder it still appears on the mobile device for some time.